Strategy Fremantle Dockers Next Generation Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

It makes sense why we passed on Ian Hill now.

Grab a raw, high risk/high reward recruit in Sturt last year, with the likely goal this year of bringing in a comparable academy product in Henry.

It looks to be an inspired move now that Henry's had a great carnival.

I forget his name, maybe Joel Western, but there is another small forward on the horizon for the 2020 draft too.

man Henry was so good. His kicking is incredible. Cant wait to see him line-up on a forward flank delivering it inside 50. Dude will push to be the best kick in our team by 2021 once he adjusts to AFL tempo. Has "it" in spades. Even those points he had, 1 was a shot from 45-50 out in traffic on his left after dodging a tackle. Another was a snap on a 60 degree angle, 40 out.

There is some terrific WA talent in that top 30, especially if todays game was anything to go by. Sharpe, Roberston, Rivers and Jackson all look terrific and are different players.

If we miss out on Kelly and Conigs (which I think is likely), will not be disappointed to use our 1st on any one of them. I reckon Robertson would be a perfect pick-up to go with Henry. Normally I'm not fussed about picking from WA but I'd happily pay slight overs in the draft picking to prioritise WA this year.

Henry's performance has got me stoked. A few of the AFL journos have him pegged as a top 15 pick. Either way we get a reduction.

man Henry was so good. His kicking is incredible. Cant wait to see him line-up on a forward flank delivering it inside 50. Dude will push to be the best kick in our team by 2021 once he adjusts to AFL tempo. Has "it" in spades. Even those points he had, 1 was a shot from 45-50 out in traffic on his left after dodging a tackle. Another was a snap on a 60 degree angle, 40 out.

There is some terrific WA talent in that top 30, especially if todays game was anything to go by. Sharpe, Roberston, Rivers and Jackson all look terrific and are different players.

If we miss out on Kelly and Conigs (which I think is likely), will not be disappointed to use our 1st on any one of them. I reckon Robertson would be a perfect pick-up to go with Henry. Normally I'm not fussed about picking from WA but I'd happily pay slight overs in the draft picking to prioritise WA this year.
If Langdon does decide to go there may be a move trading Langdon and our second for an earlier pick than we think Henry will be bid on plus a later pick. Pick 29 + Langdon for 18 and 36 kind of thing. Could result in 2 and possibly 3 of those boys you named, plus Henry, and I think would be a really nice move for us.

If Langdon does decide to go there may be a move trading Langdon and our second for an earlier pick than we think Henry will be bid on plus a later pick. Pick 29 + Langdon for 18 and 36 kind of thing. Could result in 2 and possibly 3 of those boys you named, plus Henry, and I think would be a really nice move for us.
Agreed. I had thought any loss of Langdon will be of the aim to either get another in the top 15, or upgrade our first. Another in the top 15 probably makes more sense. With the eveness of the draft in that top 30, I think we'd want to get a top 15 to be comfortable it will be ahead of any Henry bid.

Henry had great power for a light guy and weighting in his kicking today was good. Seems to always look dangerous and laid some good tackles. His kicking inside 50 was very instinctive and to advantage. The shot he had on goal showed his elite decision making. 15-25 range imo.

Devon looked really good but also gave off a bit of a masten vibe (onfield) all the tools but he had a few chucks and kicking wasn't fantastic from what i saw in todays game.

I liked the look of garcia before his knee injury. Maybe a bargain late

Agreed. I had thought any loss of Langdon will be of the aim to either get another in the top 15, or upgrade our first. Another in the top 15 probably makes more sense. With the eveness of the draft in that top 30, I think we'd want to get a top 15 to be comfortable it will be ahead of any Henry bid.
It would have to be top 15 you would think. Henry appears to be around the 14-21 mark. You either go before or multiple picks after. Just too hard to predict the picks clubs will have. Seems that Collingwood and Melbourne are the front runners for Langdon. Collingwood may have a first round pick on the front edge of this bracket which could work. Also if Kelly does entertain a move to WA and Freo then perhaps Langdon involved in that trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be disappointed with suing our first on Devon Robertson. Kid really is a complete package. Then Henry.

With Robertson and Valente we could have the mid bracket sown up.
Agree. I also think Rivers should be under consideration there. Robertson, Rivers and Henry have talent, power and diversity. They all look likely to play early in their careers as well.

The club should be looking at how to get multiple picks in before Henry, either from trading next years first round or if a player wants to leave. I hope the club doesn't become seduced by buying in a star player to push for finals, and instead harvests young players for development.

Agree. I also think Rivers should be under consideration there. Robertson, Rivers and Henry have talent, power and diversity. They all look likely to play early in their careers as well.

The club should be looking at how to get multiple picks in before Henry, either from trading next years first round or if a player wants to leave. I hope the club doesn't become seduced by buying in a star player to push for finals, and instead harvests young players for development.

I've got no issues dropping our first on Kelly though

I've sung his Praises, but I am not sure I am 100% sold on using our first (7-11) on Robertson. I've only seen 1 and a bit games of him and I don't know if he is damaging enough to go in the top 10. I'd be much more comfortable using a teens pick. Will be interesting to see where he falls in mock drafts.

Chris25 loves Taheny and was right about Stephenson and Rozee so I am backing him in on that one although I have only seen a little of him. I suppose if clubs agree with him he'll be gone before our first anyway.

I've sung his Praises, but I am not sure I am 100% sold on using our first (7-11) on Robertson. I've only seen 1 and a bit games of him and I don't know if he is damaging enough to go in the top 10. I'd be much more comfortable using a teens pick. Will be interesting to see where he falls in mock drafts.

Chris25 loves Taheny and was right about Stephenson and Rozee so I am backing him in on that one although I have only seen a little of him. I suppose if clubs agree with him he'll be gone before our first anyway.
If we didn't have Valente, Who is highly rated Robertson is a guaranteed 150 gamer.
I think we lack outside class, midfield goal kickers. Henry tick, next?

If we didn't have Valente, Who is highly rated Robertson is a guaranteed 150 gamer.
I think we lack outside class, midfield goal kickers. Henry tick, next?
Yeah thats the thing. I agree Robertson just needs to avoid injuries and will play 200 games. He may even become A-grade. Those players are hard to read in terms of ceiling. How much do we value knowing that we are getting a good player over a potential gun?

I agree we are at least 1 (possibly 2) outside players short. Ash and Sharp were the two from the game yesterday.

Goal kicking mids a bit harder. Probably have to recruit a forward and hope they can contribute in the midfield I think. Genuine mids that kick goals don't last too long in a draft.

That values at Landgon at 23. I think we're going to want more: Something that ends up in the pick 13/14ish to 18 range, or slightly less if it helps us address immediate goals. 5 and 23 (assuming they manage to climb the ladder over the last 7 rounds) for 11 (leaving us at 8th for the moment) and a 2020 second rounder. That vaues him between 15 and 21 depending on where we finish in 2020.

Been reading (will hopefully watch some replays time permitting) about the top 30-40 prospects.

Stephens from SA and O'Neill from the Allies sound good. Both not particularly big but skillful outside types.

Seems like a draft where you could extract real value from having 3-4 picks inside 40. I am all for trading more into this year and backing in our NGA's next year (assuming they don't take them off us).

We need points of difference. Like inside speed. It’s all well and good to get more contested ball winners. But we got quite a few; Fyfe, Mundy, Blakeley, Conca, Brayshaw, Cerra (probably), North, Valente. I’d go for the unique body shape / athlete. The ruckman with our first pick. You need some unique elite athletic skill combined with football nous these days.

We need points of difference. Like inside speed. It’s all well and good to get more contested ball winners. But we got quite a few; Fyfe, Mundy, Blakeley, Conca, Brayshaw, Cerra (probably), North, Valente. I’d go for the unique body shape / athlete. The ruckman with our first pick. You need some unique elite athletic skill combined with football nous these days.
Agree. We are not even using most of our inside players in that role. We need more speed and skill and explosiveness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back