Strategy Fremantle Dockers Next Generation Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

That values at Landgon at 23. I think we're going to want more: Something that ends up in the pick 13/14ish to 18 range, or slightly less if it helps us address immediate goals. 5 and 23 (assuming they manage to climb the ladder over the last 7 rounds) for 11 (leaving us at 8th for the moment) and a 2020 second rounder. That vaues him between 15 and 21 depending on where we finish in 2020.
I wouldn't trade pick 13 in exchange for Langdon if we were trying to get him to Fremantle. But regardless, any trading from our point of view needs to be focused around likely bids for Henry. I see the bids coming later than what others do, mainly because I think Academy players get taken after they become comfortably best available and likely by a significant margin. For any player apart from the very top end I don't think we have seen clubs bidding to force a club to pay value for NGA recruits. I don't really see a bid happening inside the top 20.

I wouldn't trade pick 13 in exchange for Langdon if we were trying to get him to Fremantle. But regardless, any trading from our point of view needs to be focused around likely bids for Henry. I see the bids coming later than what others do, mainly because I think Academy players get taken after they become comfortably best available and likely by a significant margin. For any player apart from the very top end I don't think we have seen clubs bidding to force a club to pay value for NGA recruits. I don't really see a bid happening inside the top 20.
Academy players get a triple discount.
1. The players goes deeper in the draft ie Blakely clearly top 8 and maybe as high as 4, but went pick 10.

2. 20% discount

3. Trading out a higher pick for two or three lower picks will give you 30-50% more picks.

If we trade our second round pick for two third round picks and then trade a third round pick for two fourth round picks, in points wise will be a first round pick.

We need points of difference. Like inside speed. It’s all well and good to get more contested ball winners. But we got quite a few; Fyfe, Mundy, Blakeley, Conca, Brayshaw, Cerra (probably), North, Valente. I’d go for the unique body shape / athlete. The ruckman with our first pick. You need some unique elite athletic skill combined with football nous these days.
Mundy is going to retire this year or next and North most likely gets delisted this year. We are nowhere near complete in terms of midfield depth.

Having said that, I agree we need a point of different in our midfield. Someone who wins it inside and bursts from stoppage. Not sure that player is in this draft.

Also think we need some more balanced mids. Guys that get it on the outside too. Andy I think will do this but really need another of our main mids to be useful in finding space on transition.

Anyone got numbers for these nga guys?

Numbers? Colts Stat numbers? Championship stat numbers? Player Numbers? Phone Numbers? What?

6/7 Colts Statistics to date (without the Perth game):
  • Joel Western 20 possessions, 2 marks, 2 tackles, 6 inside 50s
  • Leno Thomas 10 possessions, 2 marks, 5 tackles, 3 inside 50s, 1 goal, 1 behind
  • Manfred Kelly 16 possessions, 3 marks, 5 tackles

Anyone got numbers for these nga guys?

I agree for the average punter with an interest in the NGA it would have been good to know the Jumper number and Name. Considering it was on the field pre Derby...

I was looking at them playing wondering who is who.. lost interest because I couldn’t put a name to a number..., very frustrating!

Update: GPS was referring to the pre game Derby 04/05 NGA lads running around before the Derby at Optus Stadium.

Last edited:
I agree for the average punter with an interest in the NGA it would have been good to know the Jumper number and Name. Considering it was on the field pre Derby...

I was looking at them playing wondering who is who.. lost interest because I couldn’t put a name to a number..., very frustrating!

Update: GPS was referring to the pre game Derby 04/05 NGA lads running around before the Derby at Optus Stadium.
I agree. Curtain raisers used to have the team lists in the Record too which would of helped. I knew many of the NGA guys but not the team playing in white. After the NGA guys had a couple of 20 goal wins over the WCE Naitanui academy, Mzungu was keen to find some competition for them.

The white team consisted mainly of the best 5 or so from each of Freo's aligned WAFL clubs Yr 10 development squads (Claremont, WP, Peel, EF, SF)

My son is a smallish Yr 9 and was like a boy amongst men. The Freo NGA team were much smaller on the whole.

On Pixel 2 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree. Curtain raisers used to have the team lists in the Record too which would of helped. I knew many of the NGA guys but not the team playing in white. After the NGA guys had a couple of 20 goal wins over the WCE Naitanui academy, Mzungu was keen to find some competition for them.

The white team consisted mainly of the best 5 or so from each of Freo's aligned WAFL clubs Yr 10 development squads (Claremont, WP, Peel, EF, SF)

My son is a smallish Yr 9 and was like a boy amongst men. The Freo NGA team were much smaller on the whole.

On Pixel 2 using BigFooty.com mobile app
That #12 ruckman for what I termed "the allies" was one of the skinniest tall people I've ever seen and that's saying something coming from someone who also has to run around in the shower to get a clean.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Indigenous kids from WA and SA after pick 40 can be treated like academy players.

Example of Players who became bid players
2017 Patmore and Hayden
2016 Narkle

Indigenous kids from WA and SA after pick 40 can be treated like academy players.

Example of Players who became bid players
2017 Patmore and Hayden
2016 Narkle
Beat me to it

Most important part being NGA kids will stay the same which is terrific news

Beat me to it

Most important part being NGA kids will stay the same which is terrific news
what is really good will be the rookie list.

Any first nations kid can go straight onto rookie list without using a pick if they are not bid on.

Also, after pick 57 we don't need t give up a pick. We could have picked up Narkle with our last pick.

This is outstanding for indigenous communities. It's exactly what they wanted, protects our existing NGA player investments, doesn't compromise the access to elite talent for other clubs and keeps the players engaged with football at least until the draft.

Huge for indigenous Australians. I know the elders were really hoping the AFL academy system would help their young people stay involved, active and surrounded by positive role models but were disappointed when metropolitan children weren't included.

I expect our indigenous community will swell greatly now.

Surely they will utilise the existing NGA zones.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

They are saying existing regional NGA indigenous zones will remain the same but semi extended to indigenous Metro zones...
Metro zones not being defined but makes sense to link it in with the the current multicultural NGA metro zones.

Subtle terminology difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back