apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Western and M Kelly named in the best for their respective colts side. 27 and 25 possies respectively
Elijah Taylor (not academy) named in the best for Perth reserves kicked 2.2 from 10 possies
Butters had a quiet one 9 possies 1 goal

Good write-up of the WA kids for next year from someone new who clearly watches a lot of the colts

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
Fremantle Dockers Next Generation Academy talents Brandon Walker, Joel Western among eight WA players in AFL grand final curtain-raiser match
Headshot of Jordan McArdle
Jordan McArdle
The West Australian
Friday, 30 August 2019 6:08PM

A pair of Fremantle Next Generation Academy members are among eight WA youngsters picked in the annual AFL All Stars Futures grand final curtain-raiser at the MCG.

The eight West Aussies are spread across the two teams, filled with the nation’s best under-17 talent eligible to be drafted next year.

The Dockers have first dibs on East Fremantle’s Brandon Walker and Claremont’s Joel Western in 2020.

Both were picked in WA’s under-18s squad as bottom-agers this year but didn’t feature in the carnival.

Perth pair Logan McDonald and Nathan O’Driscoll played a big role in the Black Swans’ drought-breaking championship success.

Northam product O’Driscoll was part of the leadership group and played three games, averaging 16 disposals, seven tackles and three clearances across half-back.

Tall forward McDonald, from Coorow-Latham in the North Midlands, featured in the last three games of the carnival and averaged a goal, 11 disposals and four marks.

Walker, McDonald, 198cm South Fremantle ruckman Shannon Neale and Subiaco’s Blake Morris will play for Team Brown, coached by NAB AFL Academy head coach and triple premiership Lion Luke Power.

Western, O’Driscoll, East Fremantle’s Jack Carroll and West Perth’s Heath Chapman will form part of Team Dal Santo, coached by Vic Country under-18 coach and former Docker Leigh Brown.

Swan Districts intercept-marking defender Denver Grainger-Barras, likened to Eagle Jeremy McGovern, would have been a strong chance to play if not for a season-ending shoulder injury sustained in his senior WAFL debut.

WAFC State talent manager Adam Jones expects several West Aussies to be in the top-20 mix for next year’s national draft.

“I’m pretty bullish on next year, that we can have a number of players to feature around the top 20,” he said.

Peel Thunder’s Brodie Lake, originally from the Northern Territory, and son-of-a-gun Taj Schofield are also familiar names in WA.

Schofield, a WAFL colts premiership player at Subiaco and son of Jarrad Schofield, moved to South Australia with his dad this year where he plays for Woodville-West Torrens.

First-round WA draft prospects Luke Jackson and Jeremy Sharp both featured in last year’s game.

Team Brown: Brandon Walker (East Fremantle), Logan McDonald (Perth), Shannon Neale (South Fremantle), Blake Morris (Subiaco).

Team Dal Santo: Joel Western (Claremont), Jack Carroll (East Fremantle), Nathan O’Driscoll (Perth), Heath Chapman (West Perth).

Nter1

Debutant
Aug 31, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle

Has anyone seen Butters play? I've heard both he and Thomas go alright

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Leno Thomas had 19 possies and was in the best in the final today. He was named to play hbf. Quiet start but had a good second half, possession wise.

Joel Western had 20 possessions 5,1, 8, 6 very quiet 2nd quarter.

round 19 scout notes
#3 Leno Thomas 183cm 76kg

The Fremantle Next Generation Academy member showed he has all the traits to become a very good player at the next level with an accomplished performance. Playing as a half-back flanker, Thomas intercepted many of the Bulldogs’ attempts, rebounded with class and used his speed and skill to penetrate the Bulldogs’ defensive zone. A highlight of his game came in the first quarter when he intercepted a South Fremantle attack, played on immediately and found Charlie Malone inside attacking 50. His final stats were 19 possessions and five marks.

#12 Joel Western 172cm 63kg

The bottom-age prospect who is also a member of the Fremantle Next-Generation Academy, Western was exceptional against South Fremantle. He finished with 26 possessions, four inside 50s, three tackles, two marks and a goal in a dazzling display. The real feature of his game was his desire to use his pace to burn off his opponents and to help set up many of the Tigers’ attacking moves. Western is shaping up to be one of WA’s better prospects in next year’s AFL Draft.

#6 Manfred Kelly 172cm 73kg

The Fremantle Next-Generation Academy member continued his strong season for the Bulldogs with another solid performance. Against Claremont, Kelly accumulated a team-high 19 possessions, laid five tackles, recorded a team-high five inside 50s and took three marks to be one of the few South Fremantle players to hold their heads up after the game.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
We can take up to three Category B rookies.

If we upgrade Carter to the Category A rookie list, which I reckon we will then we can take all three of Butters, Thomas and Kelly as Category B rookies.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pretty sure Carter is already on the senior list

The article about his extension didn’t really say either way probably leaving it open based on performance.

He had to be temporarily upgraded to the senior list to play games, unlike any other rookie on our list.

Gussman

All Australian
Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've realised they've uploaded the WA vs Vic game onto the AFL site and I'm going to watch though it. I'll give some time stamps for those who want to see Liam Henry in action.

1st Quarter: https://www.afl.com.au/video/2019-07-04/u18-vicc-v-wa-q1

0:00 - 1:30 - Henry starts the game on the wing receives the ball after a clearance, kicks the ball to half-forward and then runs on to receive the kick inside 50. He then kicks the ball to the top of the square. Vic wins the ball and kicks it out of the 50, where Henry takes an intercept mark and kicks it back I50.
7:20 - 7:30 - Henry receives a handball and tries to break away from the pack. Nearly gets caught HTB but manages to get a handball away.
9:35 - 9:50 - Henry gets a handball but fumbles it, however then provides enough pressure on the Vic players to result in a turnover
10:00 - 10:10 - Henry gets a handball on the HF/wing centres the ball really well. Results in a goal.
11:20 - 11:30 - Henry gets the ball on the wing and kicks the ball to a leading person 30 from goal. The mark is spoiled but the I50 leads to a goal anyway.
13:10 - 13:20 - Henry gets a ground ball, weaves his way through a pack and kicks for goal on his left from outside 50, barely misses.
14:20 - 14:30 - Vic player drops a mark and Henry lays a tackle resulting in a stoppage I50 for WA.
14:50 - 15:10 - Puts pressure on a Vic player trying to get the ball out of WA's 50, in the end results in a turnover.
21:20 - 21:30 - Gets a handball in congestion and proceeds to handball it to a teammate. Results in a clearance.

2nd Quarter: https://www.afl.com.au/video/2019-07-04/u18-vicc-v-wa-q2

3:05 - 3:15 - Gets the ball kicked to him at hbf in the open. Tries to kick on his left but shanks it resulting in a turnover.
4:10 - 4:20 - Gets the ball kicked to him on the other hbf. Tries to kick on his right and nails the kick.
19:20 - 19:30 - Receives a handball, serves around a defender and nails a kick to a WA player on the lead I50.
21:20 - 21:40 - Ball gets kicked to Henry in space, but the kick hangs in the air and results in a turnover as it was intercepted by a Vic player. WA get the ball back and Henry continues to lead making it at the hbf. Nails a risky kick to chb.

3rd Quarter: https://www.afl.com.au/video/2019-07-04/u18-vicc-v-wa-q3

00:20 - 00:30 - Henry overruns the ball, the ball goes out of play.
1:35 - 1:45 - Henry picks up a ball and tries to outrun two vic players. Probably should have been called HTB.
9:20 - 9:30 - Henry fumbles an intercept but recovers and manages to kick along the ground and get a I50.
9:40 - 10:00 - Wayward kick in the D50 leaves Henry in a 1 on 1 vs a Vic country player. Henry's tackle doesn't stick and he losses the one on one.
10:35 - 10:50 - Henry takes a mark at the HBF. Kicks nicely to CHB
11:45 - 12:00 - Henry gets the ball in a contested situation and gives off a somewhat blind handpass. Injured in a tackle from two Vic players. (I think he was just winded)
16:00 - 16:10 - Henry lays a good tackle, nearly results in a turnover.
19:00 - 19:10 - Henry gets the ball under pressure and gets tackled.
22:55 - 23:10 - Henry leads through the centre of the ground to get a kick out of D50. Then kicks to the wing.
23:40 - 23:50 - Tackles a Vic player trying to extract the ball from a stoppage.
25:10 - 25:20 - Tackles a Vic player trying to extract the ball from a stoppage x2. This time gets a free for HTB.

Quarter 4: https://www.afl.com.au/video/2019-07-04/u18-vicc-v-wa-q4

00:40 - 00:55 - Henry gets a handpass out of a stoppage and bombs the ball long down the wing (to WA's advantage at least)
2:55 - 3:05 - Henry gets a handpass. Puts it on the boot quickly.
9:45 - 9:55 - Henry receives a handpass and spears a kick into the corridor.
18:35 - 19:05 - Henry goes for a screamer, but gives away a free for unrealistic. It was pretty unrealistic. WA get the ball right back off a turnover and Henry is again the target I50. This time takes the mark, plays on and misses from about 40 out on the run.
19:55 - 20:05 - Henry gets the ball at LHF and has a snap at goal. Barely misses to the left.
21:40 - 21:50 - Henry gets the ball at LHB and kicks it out of the 50.
22:00 - 22:15 - Henry gets the ball on the wing, weaves through a few Vic players and kicks it down the line to a one on one.

TL;DR - Henry played on the wing most of the day and most of his possessions where amazing. Needs to work on his one on one skills, but that is to be expected for a guy weighing 65kg. 1st Quarter definitely his best of the 4 and worth watching.

Tyrone Thorne, Devon Robertson, Jarvis Pina, Luke Jackson, Denver Grainger-Barrass (underage) and Jeremy Sharp were all impressive for WA. Would be very happy to see Robertson taken with our first pick.

Purpellian Anchor

Purple Admiralty
Oct 14, 2011
Northam
AFL Club
Fremantle
I watched Joel in the academy game and I would say his kicking didn't look to be his best skill. Hopefully, Gu will encourage him to concentrate on it as an area that needs improvement. (With a bit of luck, skill improvement will now be a focus through all levels of our coaching and development) He seems to be racking it up as an inside mid in the colts and is in the best often, which is pretty impressive for a 16 year old kid.

having a little laugh reading this brought back memories...need two players one who can get it out to the one who can't but can kick it ...can recall country coach years ago....you can't kick the fn thing so get in and get the fn thing and give it to him cause he can't get the fn thing but ha can fn kick it:cool:

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Colts final

Tyrone Thorne was exceptional with the state U18s representative having 25 disposals, seven tackles, six marks and three goals. Jarvis Pina was equally influential with the midfielder collecting 25 disposals and nine marks, while Bradley Oldfield produced his consummate performance with 21 disposals and nine tackles. For the Tigers who will now face the Falcons for the second time in a fortnight, it was Joel Western with 24 disposals, seven tackles and five inside 50s, while the blooming talents of Callum Jamieson were again on show with 18 disposals, six marks and 26 hit outs.

Dockernut

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sharks. Anyone playing West Coast.
I've realised they've uploaded the WA vs Vic game onto the AFL site and I'm going to watch though it. I'll give some time stamps for those who want to see Liam Henry in action.

1st Quarter: https://www.afl.com.au/video/2019-07-04/u18-vicc-v-wa-q1

0:00 - 1:30 - Henry starts the game on the wing receives the ball after a clearance, kicks the ball to half-forward and then runs on to receive the kick inside 50. He then kicks the ball to the top of the square. Vic wins the ball and kicks it out of the 50, where Henry takes an intercept mark and kicks it back I50.
7:20 - 7:30 - Henry receives a handball and tries to break away from the pack. Nearly gets caught HTB but manages to get a handball away.
9:35 - 9:50 - Henry gets a handball but fumbles it, however then provides enough pressure on the Vic players to result in a turnover
10:00 - 10:10 - Henry gets a handball on the HF/wing centres the ball really well. Results in a goal.
11:20 - 11:30 - Henry gets the ball on the wing and kicks the ball to a leading person 30 from goal. The mark is spoiled but the I50 leads to a goal anyway.
13:10 - 13:20 - Henry gets a ground ball, weaves his way through a pack and kicks for goal on his left from outside 50, barely misses.
14:20 - 14:30 - Vic player drops a mark and Henry lays a tackle resulting in a stoppage I50 for WA.
14:50 - 15:10 - Puts pressure on a Vic player trying to get the ball out of WA's 50, in the end results in a turnover.
21:20 - 21:30 - Gets a handball in congestion and proceeds to handball it to a teammate. Results in a clearance.

2nd Quarter: https://www.afl.com.au/video/2019-07-04/u18-vicc-v-wa-q2

3:05 - 3:15 - Gets the ball kicked to him at hbf in the open. Tries to kick on his left but shanks it resulting in a turnover.
4:10 - 4:20 - Gets the ball kicked to him on the other hbf. Tries to kick on his right and nails the kick.
19:20 - 19:30 - Receives a handball, serves around a defender and nails a kick to a WA player on the lead I50.
21:20 - 21:40 - Ball gets kicked to Henry in space, but the kick hangs in the air and results in a turnover as it was intercepted by a Vic player. WA get the ball back and Henry continues to lead making it at the hbf. Nails a risky kick to chb.

3rd Quarter: https://www.afl.com.au/video/2019-07-04/u18-vicc-v-wa-q3

00:20 - 00:30 - Henry overruns the ball, the ball goes out of play.
1:35 - 1:45 - Henry picks up a ball and tries to outrun two vic players. Probably should have been called HTB.
9:20 - 9:30 - Henry fumbles an intercept but recovers and manages to kick along the ground and get a I50.
9:40 - 10:00 - Wayward kick in the D50 leaves Henry in a 1 on 1 vs a Vic country player. Henry's tackle doesn't stick and he losses the one on one.
10:35 - 10:50 - Henry takes a mark at the HBF. Kicks nicely to CHB
11:45 - 12:00 - Henry gets the ball in a contested situation and gives off a somewhat blind handpass. Injured in a tackle from two Vic players. (I think he was just winded)
16:00 - 16:10 - Henry lays a good tackle, nearly results in a turnover.
19:00 - 19:10 - Henry gets the ball under pressure and gets tackled.
22:55 - 23:10 - Henry leads through the centre of the ground to get a kick out of D50. Then kicks to the wing.
23:40 - 23:50 - Tackles a Vic player trying to extract the ball from a stoppage.
25:10 - 25:20 - Tackles a Vic player trying to extract the ball from a stoppage x2. This time gets a free for HTB.

Quarter 4: https://www.afl.com.au/video/2019-07-04/u18-vicc-v-wa-q4

00:40 - 00:55 - Henry gets a handpass out of a stoppage and bombs the ball long down the wing (to WA's advantage at least)
2:55 - 3:05 - Henry gets a handpass. Puts it on the boot quickly.
9:45 - 9:55 - Henry receives a handpass and spears a kick into the corridor.
18:35 - 19:05 - Henry goes for a screamer, but gives away a free for unrealistic. It was pretty unrealistic. WA get the ball right back off a turnover and Henry is again the target I50. This time takes the mark, plays on and misses from about 40 out on the run.
19:55 - 20:05 - Henry gets the ball at LHF and has a snap at goal. Barely misses to the left.
21:40 - 21:50 - Henry gets the ball at LHB and kicks it out of the 50.
22:00 - 22:15 - Henry gets the ball on the wing, weaves through a few Vic players and kicks it down the line to a one on one.

TL;DR - Henry played on the wing most of the day and most of his possessions where amazing. Needs to work on his one on one skills, but that is to be expected for a guy weighing 65kg. 1st Quarter definitely his best of the 4 and worth watching.

Tyrone Thorne, Devon Robertson, Jarvis Pina, Luke Jackson, Denver Grainger-Barrass (underage) and Jeremy Sharp were all impressive for WA. Would be very happy to see Robertson taken with our first pick.

*Slow hand clap*

Back