Strategy Fremantle Dockers Next Generation Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Other NGA names to keep an eye on (for 2022 onward): Conrad Williams, Chase Bourne, Jasper Scaife, Israel Haliyamutu and Prince Pommett.

Dallas and Conrad played for the Boomerangs last year whilst the others were in the World Team.

Kobe Farmer (Jeff's son) and Riley Colbourne will be next year I think.

Joel Western, Keanu Haddow, Brandon Walker and Chris Walker are this year's prospects.

Crossing fingers Prince Pommett steps up over the coming years because that is one epic name.

Other NGA names to keep an eye on (for 2022 onward): Conrad Williams, Chase Bourne, Jasper Scaife, Israel Haliyamutu and Prince Pommett.

Dallas and Conrad played for the Boomerangs last year whilst the others were in the World Team.

Joel Western, Keanu Haddow, Brandon Walker and Chris Walker are this year's prospects.

Crossing fingers Prince Pommett steps up over the coming years because that is one epic name.

Israel Haliyamutu is a close 2nd

Does a list of NGA players exist, or are these possibles v probables!

I know Riley Colborne was added a year or so ago but not aware of the others other than that Joel Western, Keanu Haddow, Brandon Walker and Chris Walker are this year's prospects.

Does a list of NGA players exist, or are these possibles v probables!

I know Riley Colborne was added a year or so ago but not aware of the others other than that Joel Western, Keanu Haddow, Brandon Walker and Chris Walker are this year's prospects.
No list but names are mentioned in the NGA section of each issue of the Docker magazine (and occasionally snippets online). There is difference between being part of the NGA and then being eligible to be drafted by Freo though (after they apply to the AFL before each draft).

One I forgot to add is Nasman Donovan (15yo? mid from Mandurah Mustangs) who was BOG in the pre-derby NGA game in 2018. Pretty sure this kid is also a very good young guitarist who busks in Mandurah and Freo. Some cracking kids Freo have identified, plenty of talent, not all of them will make it of course but having Freo's support gives them a better chance. I think some lose sight of the broader benefits of the NGA program (it goes beyond drafting a handful of talented kids each year).

Kids in our NGA who made an impression in that 2018 pre-derby game and went on to play in the AFL Diversity Champs include Riley Colborne, Ashwin Malik, Kai Holmes and Ronan O’Hehir of South Fremantle, Dominic Dravitzki and Nasman Donovan of Peel, Travis Moore and Seth Connor of East Fremantle and Josh Francis of Claremont. Wesleigh Hatch, Dallas McAdam and Brendan Bin Omar were the Kimberley NGA talents that played Kickstart that year.

Taylin Bin Busu is a Kununurra kid who was one of 15 brought down from the North West to Cockburn in 2018 and made an impression as well.

WTG... I've always enjoyed the touch of creativity you have in some of your posts, but are you just making these names up? Making up nicknames for players may become obsolete.

There was a Tarkyn somebody-somebody on the list previously wasn't there?

No list but names are mentioned in the NGA section of each issue of the Docker magazine (and occasionally snippets online). There is difference between being part of the NGA and then being eligible to be drafted by Freo though (after they apply to the AFL before each draft).

One I forgot to add is Nasman Donovan (15yo? mid from Mandurah Mustangs) who was BOG in the pre-derby NGA game in 2018. Pretty sure this kid is also a very good young guitarist who busks in Mandurah and Freo. Some cracking kids Freo have identified, plenty of talent, not all of them will make it of course but having Freo's support gives them a better chance. I think some lose sight of the broader benefits of the NGA program (it goes beyond drafting a handful of talented kids each year).

Kids in our NGA who made an impression in that 2018 pre-derby game and went on to play in the AFL Diversity Champs include Riley Colborne, Ashwin Malik, Kai Holmes and Ronan O’Hehir of South Fremantle, Dominic Dravitzki and Nasman Donovan of Peel, Travis Moore and Seth Connor of East Fremantle and Josh Francis of Claremont. Wesleigh Hatch, Dallas McAdam and Brendan Bin Omar were the Kimberley NGA talents that played Kickstart that year.

Taylin Bin Busu is a Kununurra kid who was one of 15 brought down from the North West to Cockburn in 2018 and made an impression as well.
taylin bin busu is a familiar name is he related to someone called zinal bin busu (i doubt thats spelt right).

Apparently Dallas has been nicknamed as ‘The Difference’ by AFL scouts.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The difference between a team full of champions or one one short of a team of champions? :p (PS. No offense to Dallas - more just to AFL scouts if that is the kind of rubbish they put together).

Tried to find info about Riley Colborne - apparently he took the Byford record for 300m hurdles in his first week of "Byford Little Athletics" and was bronze medalist in the LAWA triple jump. Looks a good height compared to others in the little athletics squad.

Apparently (According to Zurgblade) Joel Western ran a 2.88 second 20m at the state academy, which is pretty fast.

That was actually his first attempt for the day so he may have run faster. I'm pretty sure he was running around the 2.7x sec mark last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now all we need him to do is grow a good 10 or more cm and improve his kicking......preferrably after he has been drafted though.

I cant seem him growing much further as he has short parents. He'll get drafted either way as he has had a much greater impact so far on colts games compared to the other guys in your academy.

Last edited:
I cant seem him growing much further as he has short parents. He'll get drafted either way as he has had a much greater impact so far on colts games compared to the other guys in your academy.

I agree - his height is unlikely to get much bigger; just think it will limit what he can do at the next level though.

This is worth keeping an eye on. Recruiters and clubs are stirring up s**t because one of the Bulldogs NGA prospects is looking to be a top talent.

Obviously this particular case doesn't impact us until we play Ugle-Hagan, but if it inspires changes to the NGA system to get rid of the Bulldogs "unfair advantage" then it'll bite us in the arse too.

The Northern states have been getting top quality talent for a discount for a long time, as have clubs with good F/S options. It is just WB's turn to get a bargain this time. I assume it is part of the reason why the NGA system was brought in in the first place, to even things out a bit. The fact that the clubs have the ability to get rid of high draft picks and get these top quality players with some junk lower picks, is the problem not the NGA per se. If the WB were required to match a high bid with a highish pick, no-one would worry quite as much.

The Northern states have been getting top quality talent for a discount for a long time, as have clubs with good F/S options. It is just WB's turn to get a bargain this time. I assume it is part of the reason why the NGA system was brought in in the first place, to even things out a bit. The fact that the clubs have the ability to get rid of high draft picks and get these top quality players with some junk lower picks, is the problem not the NGA per se. If the WB were required to match a high bid with a highish pick, no-one would worry quite as much.
The only reason the NGA exists is because the likes of Eddie McGuire got upset that Sydney/GWS/Brisbane/GC were getting priority access to elite talent.

The Bulldogs have had five father son players in the last ten years: Wallis, Liberatore, Hunter, Zaine Cordy and Rhylee West.

They'd had a nice run with additional talent pathways already.

The fact is that a club has to have these pathways producing just to keep up with the rest of the competition adding talent to their squads.
We have had a little win in an extra first round player last draft. We don't have priority picks from ten years ago giving us elite service still.

I'm not sure we have seen a flag won in a long time by a side who hasn't received some form of list advantage from the AFL in the form of father son priority access to players, priority picks either before the first or after the first round, academy players etc.

If the other clubs are adding an extra top 20 pick to their squad each year or two it will have an impact, we have a way to catch up.

So in summary, the Dogs don't need priority access but them benefiting from their academy is the pathway that we can catch up on the rest of the competition benefiting from their own. The whole idea that players from football states playing football already should be entered into a priority access program for a club is a bit cheap.

The only reason the NGA exists is because the likes of Eddie McGuire got upset that Sydney/GWS/Brisbane/GC were getting priority access to elite talent.

The Bulldogs have had five father son players in the last ten years: Wallis, Liberatore, Hunter, Zaine Cordy and Rhylee West.

The fact is that a club has to have these pathways producing just to keep up with the rest of the competition adding talent to their squads.
We have had a little win in an extra first round player last draft. We don't have priority picks from ten years ago giving us elite service still.

I'm not sure we have seen a flag won in a long time by a side who hasn't received some form of list advantage from the AFL in the form of father son priority access to players, priority picks either before the first or after the first round, academy players etc.

If the other clubs are adding an extra top 20 pick to their squad each year or two it will have an impact, we have a way to catch up.

So in summary, the Dogs don't need priority access but them benefiting from their academy is the pathway that we can catch up on the rest of the competition benefiting from their own. The whole idea that players from football states playing football already should be entered into a priority access program for a club is a bit cheap.
Yeah the system isn't perfect but it is closer to helping equalise the other in-built benefits older and expansion clubs get, than it was before the NGA. If we work our area hard then we have a chance of getting closer to balance with the other clubs. I still think a high first round bid should be matched with a first round pick, if that is possible to insist on. Through live trading or pre draft or not trading out your first rounder etc

The irony is that apart from Hunter who is a very good player, their only star quality father - son candidate is one Sydney chose to pass on, Dunkley

On CPH1920 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back