Strategy Fremantle Dockers Next Generation Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Under the current rules we wouldn’t know. Clubs are having to match because they don’t have much of a choice, but if they were getting the value of the bid in return, then suddenly there’s a choice.

What’s say for example GWS bids on Walker at pick 13. Do we match? We have to weigh up what we think Walker is worth to us and compare it with who we’d get at our next pick, 19 picks later at 32. I doubt we pass and don’t match but was that really his true market value? No, because we were having to compare him to pick 32, but under this suggestion we value him against pick 14, a true comparison to the bid.
Majority of bids come later than expected.

It's not in the interest for GWS to make us pay extra for Walker and they risk us not matching.

Only Essendon to my knowledge have put in fake bids and that was in the third rounds.

North Melbourne put two bids on two Lions academy players that wasn't matched. Roos rated the players higher and the players weren't needs at the Lions.

Majority of bids come later than expected.

It's not in the interest for GWS to make us pay extra for Walker and they risk us not matching.

Only Essendon to my knowledge have put in fake bids and that was in the third rounds.

North Melbourne put two bids on two Lions academy players that wasn't matched. Roos rated the players higher and the players weren't needs at the Lions.

In the Nth and Brisbane example I’d like to know when Brisbane’s next pick was to get a better understanding of the decision that they were faced with.

Was Carltons bid on Henry the right market value?

I think we need time to rate whether the bids were early or late or true market value. Imo (and Beatsons) getting the very next pick to the bid is the only way, or fairest way to ensure that it’s true market value.

Yeah, I don’t fully understand the discounts etc so maybe I’m missing something. See above for how I see it.
Discounts have changed over time.

Currently its 20% discount and previously it was your next pick.

They got Mills and Heeney under the old rules. Sydney gave up late first round picks for top 3 picks.

Swans got Blakely under the 20% discount and the pick came later than expected.

This year they will get a top 7 pick for a few second and third round picks. Plus a late first round for later picks.

So entitled.

I think our pick 54 will basically be used on matching a bit on Western.

It's been on quite a journey.

It started at West Coast, went to GWS for 'treadmills' Langdon, then onto Freo for Hogan, then moved up in the draft as a +20%

In the Nth and Brisbane example I’d like to know when Brisbane’s next pick was to get a better understanding of the decision that they were faced with.

Was Carltons bid on Henry the right market value?

I think we need time to rate whether the bids were early or late.
Henry pick was about right.

I think that the Lions had enough points for one but not both.

Liam Henry was rated a top 15 pick. Carlton was always the biggest threat and some talk that Henry could get bid by Sydney in the top 6. I think the surprising one was Green who was rated higher than Henry albeit only slightly.

Carlton I’m sure bid on Henry and did so with anticipation that they were some chance to get him but they were definitely up to shenanigans with the double bid and admitting to buying more time to sort out pick swaps. Using the bidding system to this effect I would have thought was against the spirit of the bidding rules and I can understand Sydney’s comments to review the system, which is changing next year anyway.

I also agree with others that Sydney have had a dream run when it comes to academy players. Three top 10 picks and another to come in 2020. GWS have done well also.

Im just glad we got one through the door before the system changes next year.

Twomey had the match bid at 18.

SOS bid on Henry to buy time for other deals he was doing (pick swaps). Underneath he was shiting himself we wouldn't match.
Carlton actually rated Henry and needed a developing small forward. Twomey was predicting the usual NGA slide he was rated around top 15 not a massive reach by Carlton.

They were probably also annoyed that we got Young and Serong they would have been super keen on both of them.

Remember their was talk that Melbourne would bid at 3.
Not sure where that talk came from, but it's not true. Henry was never in the frame for pick 3.

Jason Taylor gave an interview on Road to the Draft and said they were down to three players: Jackson, Young and Green.

I believe it was their pick 8 before we traded it from them was a possibility they would pick Henry with it.
Correct. I just read an article from AFL.com.au from mid Oct 2019 (prior to our trades with Adelaide and Melbourne) that said Melbourne (Pick 8) and Carlton (Pick 9) were two clubs considering making a bid on Henry.

Also immediately following trade period there was some talk about Sydney at pick 5 making a bid on either or Henry and/or green.

Once we positioned ourselves at pick 8 there was very little noise about a club in the top 6 forcing the hand for one of two picks in the top 10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure where that talk came from, but it's not true. Henry was never in the frame for pick 3.

Jason Taylor gave an interview on Road to the Draft and said they were down to three players: Jackson, Young and Green.

List or recruiting manager don’t always show their hand.

Melbourne were really into Henry. Picks 3-8 were pretty even at the time. The idea was to pick Henry at 3 and still have one of 3-8 still available at 8.

That idea went away when the Dockers paid overs to get pick 8. Then Melbourne could target Pickett.

Yeah but that was the idea of the academies wasn't it, to allow the Northern teams first access to talent in their own states. What people don't like is the system doing what it is supposed to do.
Sydney were suggesting that they should be able to pass on that local talent, be gifted a new pick immediately after for them to select an interstate player they rate higher than their local talent bid.

That says to me that the Northern Academy wasn't about adding local talent, it was about adding extra talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back