Strategy Fremantle Dockers Next Generation Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Let’s just say for arguments sake that Freo lost Cerra and Brayshaw to go-home trade requests this year?
You think Gill or the AFL would give a rats ass about freo losing players? Or give us any concessions at all? No chance!
Agree.

Unless we going to go under financially, they won’t assist us at all. In fact, AFL don’t make it easy for us.

Let’s just say for arguments sake that Freo lost Cerra and Brayshaw to go-home trade requests this year?
You think Gill or the AFL would give a rats ass about freo losing players? Or give us any concessions at all? No chance!
True, but I don’t think we need assistance. Go home factor effects quite a few clubs, both positively and negatively. It hasn’t been a major factor for us in terms of losing players, but we have recruited several players seeking to come home. One of the things I think we should be proactive about is ensuring that we have a default preference to local players. Our emerging midfield has very few WA players in it for example. But on balance it is a minor concern.

Seems the club is finally listening to my prayers!

Confirms Seth Connor is on the list, but another one to watch is Kai Holmes. Half Forward who played some games towards the end of the year in the Colts and showed some signs
Seth is out for probably this whole season with a knee. Couldn’t be worse timing. Did you rate him as draftable?

Seth is out for probably this whole season with a knee. Couldn’t be worse timing. Did you rate him as draftable?
Gee, that's terrible to hear.

Draftable? Maybe. He was one who I wanted to see have a big year before he broke into the truly draftable WA players (Only so many get drafted each year, he was more on the outskirts for mine).

Hopefully he can play as an over-ager for EF in 2022

Gee, that's terrible to hear.

Draftable? Maybe. He was one who I wanted to see have a big year before he broke into the truly draftable WA players (Only so many get drafted each year, he was more on the outskirts for mine).

Hopefully he can play as an over-ager for EF in 2022
Yeah it’s a real shame he didn’t get to have a really big year this year. Won B&F last year at Aquinas which is pretty good considering Corey Warner, tan woewodin and Jesse Motlop in that team. Although I am not personally 100% convinced about any of those names at this point so it will be good to have a solid year’s hitout for all of them. Corey and Jess still at aquinas so they‘ll have to play PSA over Colts, Taj was in year 12 last year from memory. I feel East Freo should have a decent colts team this year if they can get all of those PSA kids on the park for at least a few games.

Yeah it’s a real shame he didn’t get to have a really big year this year. Won B&F last year at Aquinas which is pretty good considering Corey Warner, tan woewodin and Jesse Motlop in that team. Although I am not personally 100% convinced about any of those names at this point so it will be good to have a solid year’s hitout for all of them. Corey and Jess still at aquinas so they‘ll have to play PSA over Colts, Taj was in year 12 last year from memory. I feel East Freo should have a decent colts team this year if they can get all of those PSA kids on the park for at least a few games.
Agreed, a lot of talent in that lineup. Josh Browne, Taj Woewodin, Jed Hagan and Richard Bartlett all have a lot of talent. Williams is not one I'm sold on yet, but he's made the AFL academy so there's definitely something there. Add in Warner later in the year after PSA and have Keanu and C.Walker both playing as over-agers and that's probably a finals level lineup

There's a few others I'll be watching over the year, specifically the Freo Academy players that I don't know much about like Graham Sandy, Xavier Wright and Tristan Jacques. Hopefully we could see Owen Dann as an over-ager as well

Agreed, a lot of talent in that lineup. Josh Browne, Taj Woewodin, Jed Hagan and Richard Bartlett all have a lot of talent. Williams is not one I'm sold on yet, but he's made the AFL academy so there's definitely something there. Add in Warner later in the year after PSA and have Keanu and C.Walker both playing as over-agers and that's probably a finals level lineup

There's a few others I'll be watching over the year, specifically the Freo Academy players that I don't know much about like Graham Sandy, Xavier Wright and Tristan Jacques. Hopefully we could see Owen Dann as an over-ager as well
I don’t believe there is any plan to play Haddow and C.Walker in Colts this year. League for those two and rightly so. I don’t think they have anything to gain from playing Colts.
I think EF Colts will be stacked in the middle- there’s another kid who plays there who I thought was outstanding from Futures last year - would have to look through my old posts to remember his name. An Aquinas kid who was heads and shoulders above the other futures kids. Once futures were over he fell off the Colts radar- East freo weren’t interested in playing the 2004’s at all - due to Covid I’m assuming. Except hagan but he has always been viewed differently and given more opportunity than other 2004’s at EF. I know Ef rate hagan very highly, but I’m also not sold on him as living up to all the hype. I think he will get drafted though on name/profile alone. If that happens?
So I think thier middle will be very good, Williams up forward will benefit from that. How he goes on quality defenders is the big question- and there’s no decent defenders down there so we will have to wait to see him play other teams. He also isn’t a PSA kid so EF can put all their resources into him as I believe they do more for kids who play there all year at the detriment of the kids who have to play for their school. That said- about half of the 03’s have finished school so they only have EF to worry about. I think Warner is the only genuine chance for this years draft at EF who also has to deal with Year 12, Colts and PSA commitments.

Jack Cleaver is the kid you are thinking of mate....I think Hagan, Browne and Cleaver will be giving plenty of opportunities for the likes of Williams and McMillan up front....Will be interesting to see how Freo Academy boy Tristan Jacques goes....Gero lad, who for some reason played for Willetton last year......other Gero boys in Bartlett and McVee come with big wraps....though on opportunities they have had, haven't shown half as much a younger Hagan has.....on the current list EF colts don't look overly tall....only a handful plus 193/4 cm players.

SF have a lot of Freo academy boys listed, be interesting to see how they go in 21, of late SF colts success has been a bit lean, usually their colts teams are top 2 along side Cl.

Last edited:
Jack Cleaver is the kid you are thinking of mate....I think Hagan, Browne and Cleaver will be giving plenty of opportunities for the likes of Williams and McMillan up front....Will be interesting to see how Freo Academy boy Tristan Jacques goes....Gero lad, who for some reason played for Willetton last year......other Gero boys in Bartlett and McVee come with big wraps....though on opportunities they have had, haven't shown half as much a younger Hagan has.....on the current list EF colts don't look overly tall....only a handful plus 193/4 cm players.

SF have a lot of Freo academy boys listed, be interesting to see how they go in 21, of late SF colts success has been a bit lean, usually their colts teams are top 2 along side Cl.
Yes thats him.not sure how tall he is but I think he was a tall midfielder so should complement the likes of Browne, baverstock, hagan, Warner, emery etc who all lack height through the middle.

AFL mulls over Fremantle’s priority draft access on Next Generation Academy duo Jesse Motlop, Richard Bartlett
Headshot of Jordan McArdle

Jordan McArdleThe West Australian
Thu, 25 February 2021 12:53PMComments
Jordan McArdle
Fremantle’s chances of getting priority draft access to a pair of talented WA footballers are in limbo, with the AFL yet to approve applications made by the club regarding teenagers Jesse Motlop and Richard Bartlett.

The West Australianunderstands the league is looking into how much time the Dockers have put into the promising 2021 WA draft prospects, who are both zoned to the club’s Next Generation Academy.

Motlop, the son of former Port Adelaide and North Melbourne forward Daniel Motlop, has climbed in draft calculations after a stunning 2020 campaign at PSA and WAFL colts levels for South Fremantle.

He topped the PSA goal-kicking for Aquinas College, followed that up with a four-goal haul for the Bulldogs and was in the mix for a State under-18s berth during last year’s All-Stars series.
The 17-year-old has spent well over a year in the Dockers’ NGA program under the tutelage of former player Tendai Mzungu.
Bartlett has only played three colts games for East Fremantle over the past two seasons, opting to remain in his home town of Geraldton instead.
The Chapman Valley product is expected to move to Perth in the coming weeks and play a full season of colts and have a greater involvement at Fremantle in his second year in their academy.
It would be a massive blow if one — of both — applications were knocked back, with the pair rated among the best 20 WA draft prospects this year.

If Fremantle’s applications are knocked back, they are likely to appeal the decisions.

The key objective of the Next Generation Academy program is to increase the talent pool of Indigenous and multicultural players.

WA’s metro and regional areas are split into zones between Fremantle and West Coast.

The Dockers have been the major beneficiaries of the program, with six players graduating into their AFL squads — the most of all 18 clubs — including top-10 pick Liam Henry and promising first-year pair Brandon Walker and Joel Western.

Rules around access to NGA talent have changed ahead of this year’s national draft with a protected zone in the top-20 which will increase to the top-40 next year and beyond.

It means rivals clubs can bid on players from other Next Generation Academies inside that protected zone without the threat of it being matched.

Next year’s NGA crop is expected to be Fremantle’s best yet with several highly-rated players likely to attract significant interest.

Athletic Peel Thunder and Trinity College tall Josh Draper, South Fremantle pair Chase Bourne, Ashwin Malik, Claremont’s Conrad Williams, Dallas McAdam (younger brother of Adelaide Crow Shane) and William Wolf (son of former Docker Clinton) are just some of the names eligible for next year.

AFL mulls over Fremantle’s priority draft access on Next Generation Academy duo Jesse Motlop, Richard Bartlett

Jordan McArdle
Fremantle’s chances of getting priority draft access to a pair of talented WA footballers are in limbo, with the AFL yet to approve applications made by the club regarding teenagers Jesse Motlop and Richard Bartlett.

The West Australianunderstands the league is looking into how much time the Dockers have put into the promising 2021 WA draft prospects, who are both zoned to the club’s Next Generation Academy.

Motlop, the son of former Port Adelaide and North Melbourne forward Daniel Motlop, has climbed in draft calculations after a stunning 2020 campaign at PSA and WAFL colts levels for South Fremantle.

He topped the PSA goal-kicking for Aquinas College, followed that up with a four-goal haul for the Bulldogs and was in the mix for a State under-18s berth during last year’s All-Stars series.
The 17-year-old has spent well over a year in the Dockers’ NGA program under the tutelage of former player Tendai Mzungu.
Bartlett has only played three colts games for East Fremantle over the past two seasons, opting to remain in his home town of Geraldton instead.
The Chapman Valley product is expected to move to Perth in the coming weeks and play a full season of colts and have a greater involvement at Fremantle in his second year in their academy.
It would be a massive blow if one — of both — applications were knocked back, with the pair rated among the best 20 WA draft prospects this year.

If Fremantle’s applications are knocked back, they are likely to appeal the decisions.

The key objective of the Next Generation Academy program is to increase the talent pool of Indigenous and multicultural players.

WA’s metro and regional areas are split into zones between Fremantle and West Coast.

The Dockers have been the major beneficiaries of the program, with six players graduating into their AFL squads — the most of all 18 clubs — including top-10 pick Liam Henry and promising first-year pair Brandon Walker and Joel Western.

Rules around access to NGA talent have changed ahead of this year’s national draft with a protected zone in the top-20 which will increase to the top-40 next year and beyond.

It means rivals clubs can bid on players from other Next Generation Academies inside that protected zone without the threat of it being matched.

Next year’s NGA crop is expected to be Fremantle’s best yet with several highly-rated players likely to attract significant interest.

Athletic Peel Thunder and Trinity College tall Josh Draper, South Fremantle pair Chase Bourne, Ashwin Malik, Claremont’s Conrad Williams, Dallas McAdam (younger brother of Adelaide Crow Shane) and William Wolf (son of former Docker Clinton) are just some of the names eligible for next year.
Being drafted under the NGA is clearly a positive, but still only a step in the journey towards a successful career. I would think before having a hissyfit about the boys who have come through our Academy some of the gets by the expansion clubs, Sydney and the Bulldogs, and also the imbalance in players eligible under f/s may get a mention.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would of thought with the changes to prevent bidding on top 20 picks, they would have been less fussed with NGA picks. With all the F/S benefits the Vic clubs have reaped over the years, the money and zones they gave the NSW and QLD clubs, and the sh5t start they gave us, I would have thought (obviously wrongly) they might have given us a break on such a grey area. Shouldn't be surprised though.

might need to get Belly to go into lawyer mode with his feathered cap on. Motlop would be a good pickup

Never underestimate the ability of those w***ers in AFL house to shaft us. Meanwhile in the other side of the country in GC, there is a basketcase club who basically get to list as many of these academy players as they wish... FOR FREE! They don’t even have to pay points or draft picks.
Actually now that I think of it - how long was Joel Jeffrey a part of the Suns academy this year? Didnt they only get access to Darwin area 12 months earlier?
So over in freo, it’s a big deal and needs to be investigated if a player hasnt been a part of the freo academy for long enough?
But in QLD - no drama at all.

Last edited:
NGA shouldn't include father sons of other teams and we only added Bartlett during last season.

It's not consistent with other teams rules, but it was never designed to be a equalisation measure. It came about because Sydney was getting high level talent through a list concession that other teams, Collingwood, weren't able to benefit from.

The reality is that all clubs are fighting to secure talent and every advantage you can get can have a ten year reward for you. Every season we can add an extra 2nd round pick value player, or better yet an extra first, would make our side stronger.

I expect the father son rules will change right after Fremantle have two Mundy's in a row win the rising star.

NGA shouldn't include father sons of other teams and we only added Bartlett during last season.

It's not consistent with other teams rules, but it was never designed to be a equalisation measure. It came about because Sydney was getting high level talent through a list concession that other teams, Collingwood, weren't able to benefit from.

The reality is that all clubs are fighting to secure talent and every advantage you can get can have a ten year reward for you. Every season we can add an extra 2nd round pick value player, or better yet an extra first, would make our side stronger.

I expect the father son rules will change right after Fremantle have two Mundy's in a row win the rising star.
Why can't F/S be part of the NGA (not that Motlop is F/S)? They still get a choice, which is the most important thing.

Why can't F/S be part of the NGA (not that Motlop is F/S)? They still get a choice, which is the most important thing.
If the stated intention of the Next Generation Academy is to reach out to those who would be lost to the game, or not introduced to it, then the sons of fathers who played at the highest level of the game wouldn't fit into the category.

In my opinion.

If the stated intention of the Next Generation Academy is to reach out to those who would be lost to the game, or not introduced to it, then the sons of fathers who played at the highest level of the game wouldn't fit into the category.

In my opinion.
That's not necessarily true. Look at the Jack boys, lost to NRL.

I'm also not sure "lost to the game" is the actual philosophy, more like "provide access to elite pathways" for members of non-traditional or populations facing greater disadvantage.

That's not necessarily true. Look at the Jack boys, lost to NRL.

I'm also not sure "lost to the game" is the actual philosophy, more like "provide access to elite pathways" for members of non-traditional or populations facing greater disadvantage.

I would have thought the AFL would have been happy for the WA and SA academies to feature indigenous metro talent if it was about extending the AFL to those outside of the private school system that I think most of the current AFL players attended.

It's sold as bringing in new talent to the system, I personally don't think AFL sons of players who played five seasons or more would be considered new talent.

I am happy to have priority access to them because we need all the help we can get just to keep up with other clubs getting their advantage.

Jordan McArdle

So what exactly are we trying to achieve? Are we chasing access to these two guys regardless of their draft positions as it has been in years past?

If thats the case i'd hazard a guess to say we are very likely to be unsuccessful which means we have to cross our fingers and toes that they can be somewhat hidden or carry some niggles and struggle a little more then expected.

So what exactly are we trying to achieve? Are we chasing access to these two guys regardless of their draft positions as it has been in years past?

If thats the case i'd hazard a guess to say we are very likely to be unsuccessful which means we have to cross our fingers and toes that they can be somewhat hidden or carry some niggles and struggle a little more then expected.
We just want priority access to them if they are bid on outside the top 20, as per the AFL draft rules for 2021. The AFL are considering whether to remove them totally from our NGA and put them in the open draft.
They must be concerned we are getting too many NGA kids on the cheap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back