List Mgmt. Fremantle FC Contract List/Depth Chart

Remove this Banner Ad

I see a lot of may be gone players. Kersten, Bennell, McCarthy could all be gone, or all could be best 22.

Gone
Hayden Ballantyne Gawn
Aaron Sandilands Gawn

Maybe
Harley Bennell Gawn
Ethan Hughes Gawn
David Mundy
Darcy Tucker Traded
Matt Taberner
Shane Kersten Gawn
Cameron McCarthy
Stefan Giro
Sam Switkowski
Scott Jones Gawn
Ryan Nyhuis Gawn Unfortunately
Taylin Duman
Lloyd Meek
Tom North

As above.

Tucker is out the door if he doesn't become more than this disappointing bit part player.

Nyhuis i would personally settle in the back pocket all year.

Nhyuis Hamling Ryan
Wilson Pearce Logue is our most balanced back set up

As above.

Tucker is out the door if he doesn't become more than this disappointing bit part player.

Nyhuis i would personally settle in the back pocket all year.

Nhyuis Hamling Ryan
Wilson Pearce Logue is our most balanced back set up

I agree with you about Nyhuis, but I suspect the coaching panel don't see it that way. I think having one lockdown for small/medium forwards is a good thing. There is Duman as well, of course, who played a good game at the end of the season against Collingwood and is being talked up by the training watchers. There is normally seven defenders in the 22 I guess as one is on the bench most of the time.

There is normally seven defenders in the 22 I guess as one is on the bench most of the time.
But 1 or 2 of those spots are for versatile types who rotate through the midfield. With SHill, Blakely and Cerra (and perhaps even Brayshaw playing stints as a defender) all B22 and capable of playing half back we probably only need 5 or 6 defenders in our 22. The locks (if fit) are Hamling Pearce, Wilson and Ryan. Leaving the last one or two spots to be fought out by Duman, Logue, Kersten, Hughes and Nyhuis (and Carter). I don't think more than two of those guys should play unless there are injuries to our core 4.

But 1 or 2 of those spots are for versatile types who rotate through the midfield. With SHill, Blakely and Cerra (and perhaps even Brayshaw playing stints as a defender) all B22 and capable of playing half back we probably only need 5 or 6 defenders in our 22. The locks (if fit) are Hamling Pearce, Wilson and Ryan. Leaving the last one or two spots to be fought out by Duman, Logue, Kersten, Hughes and Nyhuis (and Carter). I don't think more than two of those guys should play unless there are injuries to our core 4.

I don't really like the concept.

Defence should be as stable as possible, and the rotation though the midfield should come off HF and the bench

Debating Duman over Nyhuis is a pretty good stage to be at in terms of our defence, which has a stability about it. Quite possible that Conca is the preferred 6th man back there; he hasn't been brought in to cut up oranges. He is the player most likely to release Blakely into the midfield.

Debating Duman over Nyhuis is a pretty good stage to be at in terms of our defence, which has a stability about it. Quite possible that Conca is the preferred 6th man back there; he hasn't been brought in to cut up oranges. He is the player most likely to release Blakely into the midfield.

I'd have him rotating of the bench

Why would you prefer to have Nyhuis starting, who is yet to establish himself as an AFL standard player, and Conca on the bench? Got some strategy in mind there?

Yes.
Conca is a defensive midfielder.
Nyuhuis is a lockdown back pocket. Sick of getting torched by small forwards.
Play them to their strengths

Yes.
Conca is a defensive midfielder.
Nyuhuis is a lockdown back pocket. Sick of getting torched by small forwards.
Play them to their strengths
True. But Conca is certified best 22. Nyhuis is in the process of being put on the Rookie list. Looking forward to seeing how he goes in the pre-season because I do agree we need a genuine, defensive minded, back pocket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True. But Conca is certified best 22. Nyhuis is in the process of being put on the Rookie list. Looking forward to seeing how he goes in the pre-season because I do agree we need a genuine, defensive minded, back pocket.

It's one of a few areas I disagree with Lyon.
I thought he was good when given a run at it, and should be given an extended run at it. He's quick enough, good defensively and neat with the ball.
I agree he looks like he's on his way out.

In the past I've been an advocate for a back-pocket lock down defender, especially Nyhuis as I quite like the way he plays.

However if we're worried about small forwards running riot (kicking 3+ goals) I'm not sure selecting a lockdown defender is the the main component to stopping them.

Small forwards that kicked 3 or more goals on us in 2019.
Rnd 13 v Brisbane - Lewis Taylor 3 goals
Rnd 18 v Essendon - Orazio Fantasia 5 goals
Rnd 19 v Hawks - Luke Bruest 4 goals
Rnd 20 vs Eagles - Jamie Cripps 4 goals - Liam Ryan 3 goals
Rnd 22 vs Geelong - Brandan Parfitt - 4 goals

Five games where our midfield got completely outworked. I know it's cliche but if the midfield doesn't work hard enough the backline is going to cop a hammering and it doesn't matter what defenders are playing.

Well, less cases then I tought from memory.

I don't really like the concept.

Defence should be as stable as possible, and the rotation though the midfield should come off HF and the bench

When you have players like Burgoyne, Hodge who are equally good in the midfield as they are in the back line, and it lets you put fresh legs into the midfield when you need it.

I like the idea of putting Logue into the midfield for 5 minutes at the end of quarters to give us fresh legs, and watch him run over the players.

Big thanks for all the info you keep us up to date with Taylor....tend to take for granted all the work that goes into it including all through the trade and draft....Thanks again :thumbsu:

Hear, hear.

In particular the pinning of Lore’s thread to our board was a huge factor in keeping up with things during trade period.

In the past I've been an advocate for a back-pocket lock down defender, especially Nyhuis as I quite like the way he plays.

However if we're worried about small forwards running riot (kicking 3+ goals) I'm not sure selecting a lockdown defender is the the main component to stopping them.

Five games where our midfield got completely outworked. I know it's cliche but if the midfield doesn't work hard enough the backline is going to cop a hammering and it doesn't matter what defenders are playing.
Also, Connor Blakely played the first 13 games and when we had the Wilson, Ryan and Blakely playing only one small forward kicked more than two goals. I still want Connor to midfield predominately, but he is a great option to rotate back as his defensive work is massively underated. Logue can definitely play on smalls and so can Hamling provided those moves dont cause a mismatch with an opposition tall forward. Id much rather we went more attacking and didnt play a pure lockdown like Nyhuis who averages approximately 1.2 possessions more than Zac Dawson's career disposal average, albeit he is obviously a much better kick.

Last edited:
Logue will want to play out a big year and extend half way through the season you would think. Increased contract and all.

Hamling will get at least three years.

Hill will extend for three.

Langdon is the big one - he has made all the right noises and I would think they would put a three to four year extension on increased coin. Hopefully we hear about his by May otherwise the media will be all over it the longer the year goes.

Logue will want to play out a big year and extend half way through the season you would think. Increased contract and all.
You don't think Logue is going to automatically be targeted for an extension? You think he has something to prove? Or are you saying he would want to play out a good year to get himself a top of the rage paycheck?

We need tall defenders, and he is tracking beautifully. This week wouldn't be soon enough for me.

You don't think Logue is going to automatically be targeted for an extension? You think he has something to prove? Or are you saying he would want to play out a good year to get himself a top of the rage paycheck?

We need tall defenders, and he is tracking beautifully. This week wouldn't be soon enough for me.

I think he would personally be looking for a strong year on the back of not playing last year. Both professionally and for the increased dollars.

I would think he would be a pretty automatic extension given his profile, pick, up side etc.

Looks to be a very good squad for U18's WA this year. I think with the strength of our spine we may just chase mids?
A few famous names associated aswell, Glass's nephew Devon Robertson, Georgiades,is Prior related?
A Liam Henry, Jeremy Sharp double impact do the job?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back