List Mgmt. Fremantle FC Contract List/Depth Chart

Remove this Banner Ad

I know I said this months ago but i'm still waiting for someone to explain to me:
1) How a ongoing small list reduction makes a difference when the AFL have a revenue problem now of a scale many many times what it would save? (If they still have revenue problems in 2022 the league is stuffed, as it won't be able to support the debts it is incurring now to keep the game afloat. What they actually need is for the players to agree to take a large enough temporary haircut to make a difference to their ability to keep the AFL solvent next year.)
2) How it is in the PA's interest compromise at all on anything permanent?
The AFL has pgot a line of credit of $600 million
They have used some of that to get through this season . Poor financial clubs will need major dollars to survive so the AFL must enforce list cuts , management cuts and training dept cuts .Player payments is the big one and that is going to need very hard to get done. Its going to be a very interesting off season

The AFL has pgot a line of credit of $600 million
They have used some of that to get through this season . Poor financial clubs will need major dollars to survive so the AFL must enforce list cuts , management cuts and training dept cuts .Player payments is the big one and that is going to need very hard to get done. Its going to be a very interesting off season
Probably not the place for this but as a general comment, a bit of finacial pressure might force a melbourne club ot two to move. IMHO either North or Hawks should be a Tassie team. And we would be a better competition if at least one other Vic team was forced to move elsewhere permanently.

Out of contract players.

Not too many obvious delists.

Adam Cerra
Reece Conca
Andrew Brayshaw
Mitch Crowden
Nathan Wilson
Ethan Hughes *
Darcy Tucker
Matt Taberner
Lloyd Meek
Travis Colyer
Sam Switkowski
Stefan Giro
Brett Bewley *
Lachlan Schultz *
Bailey Banfield
Mundy
Stephen Hill
Banfield*

* denotes rookie.

Pick 5 to be delisted or moved to rookie list.

Last edited:

Who of the below has already signed? A lot of best 22 players below

Adam Cerra
Reece Conca
Andrew Brayshaw
Mitch Crowden
Nathan Wilson
Ethan Hughes
Darcy Tucker
Matt Taberner
Hayden Young
Lloyd Meek
Liam Henry
Travis Colyer
Sam Switkowski
Stefan Giro
Michael Frederick
Luke Valente
Brett Bewley
Tom North
Lachlan Schultz
Bailey Banfield
Young, Henry and Frederick are all contracted to 2023. Valente is 2022. You are missing Mundy from your list. And North isn't with us anymore.

Stephen Hill is 2021 as well.

Worth putting an asterisk next to Hughes and Watson as well as it’s their third year on the rookie list so we’ll need to upgrade them to keep them.

Out of contract players.

Not too many obvious delists.

Adam Cerra
Reece Conca
Andrew Brayshaw
Mitch Crowden
Nathan Wilson
Ethan Hughes *
Darcy Tucker
Matt Taberner
Lloyd Meek
Travis Colyer
Sam Switkowski
Stefan Giro
Brett Bewley *
Lachlan Schultz *
Bailey Banfield
Mundy
Stephen Hill
Banfield*

* denotes rookie.

Pick 5 to be delisted or moved to rookie list.
Only if Stephen Hill finally proves his fitness does he stay on the list but Id say that's unlikely. After today I'd delist from the main list Duman, Crowden, Colyer, Giro and Conca. Conca has a clause in his contract for anther year but if he is not in the team he might think his time has gone past him and start a coaching career. I'd also delist and then rookie Blakely as he is contrated to create another list spot. Id then promote Hughes. If we can place Walker onto the rookie as a NGA then Id do that too. Last year contracted players were allowed to be moved to the rookie. That would give us seven vacancies. Id also not re-rookie Watson, Banfield and would re-rookie Bewley and Shultz with Treacy, Walker and Blakely.

We then use the midseason draft to add quality players between the ages of 22-25. There are that many better players running around at state level then some of the players playing for us its time to take advantage of the mid season draft. I watched the state game on youtube before todays game. The difference in the ball use of some of the state league players is ridiculous. Luke Partington would dominate Acres or Aish with his hard running for example.

Only if Stephen Hill finally proves his fitness does he stay on the list but Id say that's unlikely. After today I'd delist from the main list Duman, Crowden, Colyer, Giro and Conca. Conca has a clause in his contract for anther year but if he is not in the team he might think his time has gone past him and start a coaching career. I'd also delist and then rookie Blakely as he is contrated to create another list spot. Id then promote Hughes. If we can place Walker onto the rookie as a NGA then Id do that too. Last year contracted players were allowed to be moved to the rookie. That would give us seven vacancies. Id also not re-rookie Watson, Banfield and would re-rookie Bewley and Shultz with Treacy, Walker and Blakely.

We then use the midseason draft to add quality players between the ages of 22-25. There are that many better players running around at state level then some of the players playing for us its time to take advantage of the mid season draft. I watched the state game on youtube before todays game. The difference in the ball use of some of the state league players is ridiculous. Luke Partington would dominate Acres or Aish with his hard running for example.
We could delist and then rookie Blakely or Valente. They have contracts but if they go into the draft then we rookie then as I cant see them getting picked yo by a team that would take on their contract. Lots of options.

There’s seems a pretty big elephant in the room that most have missed is that Tucker is yet to sign? With Cerra gone hoping he stays

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is anyone worried that Lachie Schultz might get pinched by the Hawks? I am, now his good mate Brett Bewley's gone, and Shoota's Freo deal is a year less than Hawks'.

Our midget list is slowly contracting with Giro also gone. Switta's great, but my pessimistic money's on yet more injuries. Been his unfortunate pattern for the last few seasons.

I want Shoota to stay. Proven goal kicker, brings pressure, seems to lift energy levels. All outweigh any lack of polish for mine.

Does anyone know if we can offer a player a multi year deal while keeping them on the rookie list? Like we can offer Shooter his 2 years on the rookie list (good for our cap space) but can we not offer him the third year to match the Hawks with the promise of moving onto the senior list?

That may be the stumbling block that is happening here, it really is in our best interests to keep him on the rookie list for that $$ relief

Does anyone know if we can offer a player a multi year deal while keeping them on the rookie list? Like we can offer Shooter his 2 years on the rookie list (good for our cap space) but can we not offer him the third year to match the Hawks with the promise of moving onto the senior list?

That may be the stumbling block that is happening here, it really is in our best interests to keep him on the rookie list for that $$ relief
That works. We can have Schultz for another two years on the rookie list. It would also allow a 4th year but I don't know if that will extend to when his deal ends or if the AFL will grandfather deals made now to extend into the 4th year on the rookie list. It's roughly $80,000 a year off the salary cap.

I don't think the benefit comes from having part of his salary outside the cap. From what I understand, it's a set amount, so it doesn't make any difference whether it's Schultz there, or Fyfe or someone we pick up in the coming rookie draft.

The benefit comes from freeing up a spot on the main list, so we can use our top 30 picks to draft better quality (fingers crossed) talent. The question of why Schultz rather than someone else comes down to a bit of strategy. Moving them to the rookie list gives them free agency for life, so you don't want it to be someone who you think might be poached, which is probably the assessment for Schultz when Freo moved him (he looked serviceable depth at best at the time). By the same token, there is no added risk with putting/keeping someone on the rookie list, if they already have free agency (e.g. Schultz).

Not 100% certain of the rules, etc., but my sense is Freo can't give him a 3 year deal without moving him off the rookie list. That would mean shifting someone else onto the rookie list to keep open as many main list spots as needed. Doing that means risking that player being poached via free agency.

I reckon Blakely might be an option here, but I think we'll need to do that (or someone else) anyway, to open up still one more spot on the main list for an extra pick in the ND.

I don't think the benefit comes from having part of his salary outside the cap. From what I understand, it's a set amount, so it doesn't make any difference whether it's Schultz there, or Fyfe or someone we pick up in the coming rookie draft.
AFAIK we can basically run 1 less player on the rookie list and save on list size therefore saving the whole 80k

Not 100% certain of the rules, etc., but my sense is Freo can't give him a 3 year deal without moving him off the rookie list. That would mean shifting someone else onto the rookie list to keep open as many main list spots as needed. Doing that means risking that player being poached via free agency.
Yeah I have a feeling that is the rule which is probably the sticking point right now

This was basically confirmed when we offered Schulz 2 years but we have found a loophole by using a trigger, good to know

Yeah you are right, we downgraded him last year
So Shultz is still on the rookie list then. Meaning we have 3 on our rookie list with him, Treacy and Banfield and 3 spaces to fill or more if we have less tgan 38 on our main list. (Watson, Thomas and Bewley have been delisted while Hughes has been promoted.) It would surprise me if we didn't delist and rookie Valente who has a contract but that's been done before. Currently S.Hill, Conca, Duman, Giro have been delisted creating 4 spots on our main list not including Cerra. Hughes was promoted but we had an extra rookie last season so our main list has 4 vaccines currently. If Valente is put on the rookie list then decisions on Crowden and Tucker still have to be made. I think Tucker will resign and Crowden probably not. Giving us 6 picks in the main draft before a Cerra trade is worked out so 7 vacancies heading into the trade period.

So Shultz is still on the rookie list then. Meaning we have 3 on our rookie list with him, Treacy and Banfield and 3 spaces to fill or more if we have less tgan 38 on our main list. (Watson, Thomas and Bewley have been delisted while Hughes has been promoted.) It would surprise me if we didn't delist and rookie Valente who has a contract but that's been done before. Currently S.Hill, Conca, Duman, Giro have been delisted creating 4 spots on our main list not including Cerra. Hughes was promoted but we had an extra rookie last season so our main list has 4 vaccines currently. If Valente is put on the rookie list then decisions on Crowden and Tucker still have to be made. I think Tucker will resign and Crowden probably not. Giving us 6 picks in the main draft before a Cerra trade is worked out so 7 vacancies heading into the trade period.
Crowden more likely to be rookied IMO, Valente is at risk of being poached (doubtful but maybe the Crows)

Taylor, isn’t Lobb contracted for 2023 as well. Lots of talk on BF regarding him having 2 years left.
Awesome spreadsheet!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back