Game Day Fremantle FC: Draft Day

Remove this Banner Ad

"Chapman shone as a key and intercept defender with West Perth at colts and league level but Bell also rates the 192cm big man’s ability to play on the wing.

The 18-year-old clocked the fastest 2km time trial at the WA draft combine in October, and the ninth-fastest nationally, at six minutes and 20 seconds.

“Heath had a couple of exceptional years with West Perth, he’s a fantastic athlete and we know he’s a very good runner with a 6:20 2km time trial,” Bell said.

“He’s a quick intercept marker and with that athletic profile, even through he’s played a lot of footy in defence, there’d be no reason why he couldn’t play wing, possibly forward and, long-term, maybe even as an inside mid."

- for those having a whinge about picking a tall defender at our first. Bell (and team) doesn't see him playing back there much.
It sounds to me like we should expect the same sort of pathway as Adam Cerra.

Start back, ease up to the wing, a little bit inside. Absolute domination in 2021.

"Chapman shone as a key and intercept defender with West Perth at colts and league level but Bell also rates the 192cm big man’s ability to play on the wing.

The 18-year-old clocked the fastest 2km time trial at the WA draft combine in October, and the ninth-fastest nationally, at six minutes and 20 seconds.

“Heath had a couple of exceptional years with West Perth, he’s a fantastic athlete and we know he’s a very good runner with a 6:20 2km time trial,” Bell said.

“He’s a quick intercept marker and with that athletic profile, even through he’s played a lot of footy in defence, there’d be no reason why he couldn’t play wing, possibly forward and, long-term, maybe even as an inside mid."

- for those having a whinge about picking a tall defender at our first. Bell (and team) doesn't see him playing back there much.

Someone should tell him. Chappy talking up how much he loves Young and how much he wants to learn from Ryan.

Looking at our national draft haul, its interesting to see that the club went for known quantities/exposed form in the end over projections for VIC players whos seasons were wiped out.

COVID played a significant part on our draft strategy.

Looking at our national draft haul, its interesting to see that the club went for known quantities/exposed form in the end over projections for VIC players whos seasons were wiped out.

COVID played a significant part on our draft strategy.
I think it is fair to say we got 4 of the top 7 WA prospects this year. McDonald, DGB and Carroll the ones we didn't get.

Given the WA u18s side were clearly really strong I think it was a sound strategy. Good chance all of them have long AFL careers.

Personally I could not be happier with Freo's haul given the draft picks we had, and I just don't get all the complaints.

As for Josh, I'm frikken' stoked with his selection! 😃😃 194cm, 94kg, goes from 0-20 in 2.94 seconds (and at 94kg, that is some serious ******* leg power and core strength right there 😳😳😳 - kid's gonna be strong as an ox), loves a contest, aggressive, a leading bottom-age performer at state level, huge mits, has played forward, back and midfield, LITERALLY sends defenders flying when he hits a pack, but also potential captaincy material. I could be describing a young Barry Hall here, but unlike Barry I very much doubt the club is going to hire, tolerate or develop a super-aggressive thuggish brute as a forward. Pavlich and Tabener is far more our Forward mould - strong, tall and aggressive, but also controlled and measured footballers, which is just the way I like it.

Who gives a screaming, steaming s**t that we lost a 3rd pick from next year's draft? Focus on what we gained, not what we lost. Personally I'm staggered and delighted that just like Ryan, Barlow, Duman, Toby and Tabs before him, Freo has seemingly pulled yet another quality rookie from out of our draft team's arse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knightmare (who hasn't given us a decent grade in the last few years even though we've killed it) gave the Eagles a better grade than us.

I'm not losing sleep.

I can't wait for the 2020 first round draft analysis where it's just repeating over and over how if he was a club list manager he'd take the guy he liked the most.

Although TBF he did give us an A last year.

Grading a draft haul the day after has got to be up there with the most redundant and stupid analysis possible.

About 90% of the articles boil down to:

Top-5 pick or multiple picks in the first/second round = A!
Normal amount of picks = B!
Traded away most of your picks and only got a few late ones = C!

No s**t.

About 90% of the articles boil down to:

Top-5 pick or multiple picks in the first/second round = A!
Normal amount of picks = B!
Traded away most of your picks and only got a few late ones = C!

No sh*t.

Hehe, I do like how he gave Essendon a C grade though. They have a mosquito fleet midfield that can’t kick yet lets draft a heap of KPPs.

Congratulations to all the players drafted by the mighty Freo Dockers.

We unrealistically expect you all to be absolute champions and naturally also lead us into the promised land of AFL glory.

Realistically be prepared to be minutely scrutinized by some very hard markers until the time you become either a hero or a zero. Your chances of the former are less than 50/50

Go forth you young champs, we are with you all the way.....for now at least.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back