Game Day Fremantle FC: Draft Day

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t understand how the Walker bid was matched yet we had another pick 2 picks later? Can anyone explain that?

Looking at these highlights vids of the draftees rams home how pristine AFL grounds are these days. Some motley looking ovals out in the burbs.

The amount these grounds are used is crazy. Cricket grounds at the moment are all absolutely pristine due to no footy this winter, normally they are minefields until well after Christmas.

I don’t understand how the Walker bid was matched yet we had another pick 2 picks later? Can anyone explain that?
Odd wasn't it. I was under the impression that a pass meant you were done, no more picks, but it appears you are allowed to match a bid from then on.

If there is a need to clarify that rule later perhaps they can change it so that you can end your draft and bank your remaining points for later years matched bids.

That could have been very useful for us, we simply pick Walker and Western then roll our points into next season.

I don't expect to be able to have bulk late picks again though, unfortunately.

“During the break, Fremantle and West Coast vied for pick 27. The Eagles offered a second and third-round pick. Freo's David Walls trumped this with an offer of pick 30 and a future third for 27 and pick 59”

so looks like we know now why we coughed up a future third for O’Driscoll

“During the break, Fremantle and West Coast vied for pick 27. The Eagles offered a second and third-round pick. Freo's David Walls trumped this with an offer of pick 30 and a future third for 27 and pick 59”

I think I'd hate seeing O'Driscoll in the blue and pee. Big thanks to Walls for the mercy trade.

The other thing I found interesting was that a number of clubs stayed with WA/SA/Academy talent largely.
carlton, Us, West Coast, Sydney, Adelaide all but one. I think exposed form was high on the priority list
Yeah I think for WA and SA it was a no brainer this year. Get a known quantity that is local is better than the risk on projected Victorians.

Wouldn't have minded taking SAs either.

Can’t be true, freo_leo29 told us otherwise. Collingwood making s**t up again.

That’s awesome.

We certainly have addressed some deficiencies in our list with this draft. Outside speed & wing options with Western & Walker in particular & Nod who can also play on a wing.

We’ve got some athletic height into the club with Chapman & Treacy with Chapman offering a few positional options eventually & I read that towards the end of the 2019 season Treacy was attending centre bounces & working on his ruck craft.

Geez we’ve had our drafting issues in the past, but the last 3 or 4 have been huge & to top it off with trumping the Eagles to get Nod is brilliant.

Last edited:
That’s awesome.

We certainly have addressed some deficiencies in our list with this draft. Outside speed & wing options with Western & Walker in particular & Nod who can also play on a wing.

We’ve got some athletic height into the club with Chapman & Treacy with Chapman offering a few positional options eventually & I read that towards the end of the 2019 season Treacy was attending centre bounces & working on his ruck craft.

Geez we’ve had our drafting issues in the past, but the last 3 or 4 have been huge & to top it off with trumping the Eagles to get Nod is brilliant.
I thought Treacy was at the bounces as a midfielder?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Treacy was at the bounces as a midfielder?
He was at times, but you’d think he’d have to be a very good inside mid to get a game with us there.
I read in one of the game write ups about his rucking & he was doing a bit more work on it towards the end of the 2019 season. I think this would be of more benefit to us in the short to mid term.

If true then it makes more sense now, still had a surplus of picks that we didn't use though

Always improvement to be had

He also said ... 3 teams he will invest in shares if teams are stock market.. first is fremantle then Sydney then port. I don't know why he added port in the list.the other 2 has low value at the moment and has potential to go very high in a few years. But port already has high value so the rise in value won't be significant..

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Didn’t we have a bunch of picks in the 50’s? We did a trade with Brisbane which incl. a pick in the 50’s, the first trade with Collingwood involved getting a pick in the 50’s along with 27, and then around the start of the third round we made a further trade with Collingwood for a mid 40’s pick for two further picks in the 50’s.

Eagles didn't even have a 2nd rounder lol
Future 2nd

West Coast offered future 2nd and future 3rd

Freo offered future 3rd and 30.

Collingwood’s Hine rated this draft and wanted Poulter. They believed he would still be on the table at 30, so they did the deal with us - swapping 27, 59 for 30 and future 3rd.

Good for us because West Coast wanted NOD. Darren Glass a good Northam expat had spent some time on NOD from what I have heard.

I can’t wait to see what NOD can do. Imagine if he turns into a 200 game gun, that trade of the future 3rd will have been a masterstroke. Especially pipping the eagles to it.
would draft watchers like Bastyy and Chris25 have NOD better or worse than Deven Robertson last year, as a comparison?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back