Scandal Fremantle forward Cam McCarthy quits club after being told he won’t get a new contract

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
His manager is seriously at odds with Freo - anymore Colin Young players left on the list?

Messy way to end an AFL career. He won’t get another run. He didn’t fire a shot at Freo (and no, 1 off games don’t count) and he has a highly questionable history now.

Freo posters spinning this turn of events as an astute move by both player and club - come on - keep this s**t in-house. I realise you are still clearing a backlog of Ross Lyon passion projects but it’s really not a good look having players quit the club before the season is even done.

May 11, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
His manager is seriously at odds with Freo - anymore Colin Young players left on the list?

Messy way to end an AFL career. He won’t get another run. He didn’t fire a shot at Freo (and no, 1 off games don’t count) and he has a highly questionable history now.

Freo posters spinning this turn of events as an astute move by both player and club - come on - keep this sh*t in-house. I realise you are still clearing a backlog of Ross Lyon passion projects but it’s really not a good look having players quit the club before the season is even done.

Isn't the chat that he got told he's not going to get a new contract so he walked?

It's not ideal, but if he gets to leave early rather than training for no reason at all then it's a win-win really?

according to his company’s site there’s 12 there (SHill, Walters, Henry, Logue to name a few), pretty sure JL’s a Young client as well

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Isn't the chat that he got told he's not going to get a new contract so he walked?

It's not ideal, but if he gets to leave early rather than training for no reason at all then it's a win-win really?

I just don’t think a guy (with unquestionable talent) walking away from the club before the season is done is ‘win-win’. Shows a level of disconnect between player and club. Plenty of guys know their time is up at a footy club before the end of a season - rarely do we see players ‘cut ties’ immediately when that becomes apparent. 3rd time in recent seasons that this has happened at Freo that I can recall - Bennell, Kersten, McCarthy.

Maybe it’s a byproduct of the current situation but regardless, it’s not a good look and I think Freo would rather it didn’t happen regularly.

I just don’t think a guy (with unquestionable talent) walking away from the club before the season is done is ‘win-win’. Shows a level of disconnect between player and club. Plenty of guys know their time is up at a footy club before the end of a season - rarely do we see players ‘cut ties’ immediately when that becomes apparent. 3rd time in recent seasons that this has happened at Freo that I can recall - Bennell, Kersten, McCarthy.

Maybe it’s a byproduct of the current situation but regardless, it’s not a good look and I think Freo would rather it didn’t happen regularly.
i think it is in part due to the current situation, in 'normal times' he'd just be playing at Peel each week trying to prove himself to other clubs there, whereas this year with the hubs etc he simply can't do it.

In fairness, he has the talent to be a really good player, but just couldn't manage AFL life.

At GWS in those days he was third in line after Cameron & Patton, the time off he had to take probably didn’t help but he certainly struggled as the main man. Freo’s game style probably didn’t help his cause

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
i think it is in part due to the current situation, in 'normal times' he'd just be playing at Peel each week trying to prove himself to other clubs there, whereas this year with the hubs etc he simply can't do it.

You may be right - maybe he gets special permission to play at Souths for the rest of the year. I’d think though that would be something you organise BEFORE you bail from your AFL club....because if he doesn’t get given permission to do that he will be running around in the ammos, or more likely, not playing footy at all. So perhaps that’s just the plan now...after he has packed his bags and cleared out of Freo.

Anyway, it’s neither here nor there - he’s done at AFL level.

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
You may be right - maybe he gets special permission to play at Souths for the rest of the year. I’d think though that would be something you organise BEFORE you bail from your AFL club....because if he doesn’t get given permission to do that he will be running around in the ammos, or more likely, not playing footy at all. So perhaps that’s just the plan now...after he has packed his bags and cleared out of Freo.

Anyway, it’s neither here nor there - he’s done at AFL level.
He did sit out of the game for a year to get to freo so he’s mentality is different from majority of footballers.

Maybe that’s because they prefer to continue being paid?

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

It's not a great look for them. Perhaps they should do like every other club and not tell blokes mid year they won't be recontracted. Dangle a carrot, see if they train the house down and bust a gut don't cut them off with the season still going on.

wcv1475

Senior List
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pretty sure I read tonight he had a serious medical issue this year and couldn't travel to hub and now has been informed he won't be offered a contract beyond 2020.

D-N-R

Club Legend
Apr 4, 2005
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WCE
Jason Carter has walked too. Just got a club suspension of 5 weeks for drink driving. With the restrictions on AFL players at the moment and these 2 not going to play any more, they may just be doing it for a bit of freedom. It saves the club having to pay fines for covid breaches.

Seems to be a good spirit around the club at the moment so I wouldnt really view this as a reflection on management.

Mentallo

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2005
Your minds eye.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
Whenever he played against Carlton he never missed at GWS & Freo then the following weeks he would be putting them on the full from 30 metres out directly in front.

I would be surprised if another team takes a chance on him.

wal

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
EFFC
McCarthy acquisition was a massive bust for Fremantle. Must be huge cultural issues at the club.
Another WC tosser trolling on the MB with a Benny account

1598125281275.png

David Bondo

Team Captain
Jul 2, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Another WC tosser trolling on the MB with a Benny account

View attachment 942675

What are you talking about champ?

McCarthy has been a bust since he arrived at Fremantle.

Much like Hogan.

Much like Colin Sylvia.

Much like Harley Bennell.

Had Lachie Neale and Brad Hill basically flee the club.

Something very wrong at that club.

Back