Scandal Fremantle forward Cam McCarthy quits club after being told he won’t get a new contract

webbo_83

Senior List
May 29, 2006
Neerim South
AFL Club
Richmond
My favourite bit about the whole Cam McCarthy shemozzie was when whoever the journo was went with the story of him walking out on GWS. Within minutes, he and GWS players were posting photos of themselves on social media at the pub having beers with a 'doesn't look like he's going anywhere haha' thing going on. The journo was roundly criticised and the pile on was immense.

A day or two later McCarthy requests a trade and then when it doesn't happen he just takes a year off! How much must he have hated it at GWS?!

Also, I saw him emerging from the pool with his teammates after recovery in Brisbane (he was at Freo by this time) a few years ago and he looked like he hadn't gone near a gym in his whole life. Extraordinarily sloppy rig for a professional athlete.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
So he wanted to get back to WA so bad he walked out on GWS. Now he likely wont be offered a contract from a WA team, will he retire? Or will he suddenly be ok to play outside WA now?

He's walked out on 2 clubs within a few years, and hasn't even played well. Zero chance of every getting on another AFL list

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
He's walked out on 2 clubs within a few years, and hasn't even played well. Zero chance of every getting on another AFL list

A club desperate for a forward might be able to get him for nothing. He's 25. To get a strong marking forward with a man's body is hard.. Take The Pies - our forward line is our weakness. If we go to the draft for a tall forward, it will take years for him to develop and a chunk of our star players will be retired by the time he is effective. So our only hope to use this current team to try to win a flag is to find some mature aged forwards to fill that gap. Getting Mcarthy on the cheap wouldn't be the worst thing we have done.

when a person knows it's their final chance too, they can change.. Think Mayne, from his first year to Grand Final year.

I wanted to add that I'm not suggesting we chase him or make some ridiculous offer. But if nobody else is interested and he's available, why not throw some money at him. We currently only score 50 odd points a game. At this point, I'd be happy to take any human that can kick a goal a game, and put them in our forward line.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
A club desperate for a forward might be able to get him for nothing. He's 25. To get a strong marking forward with a man's body is hard.. Take The Pies - our forward line is our weakness. If we go to the draft for a tall forward, it will take years for him to develop and a chunk of our star players will be retired by the time he is effective. So our only hope to use this current team to try to win a flag is to find some mature aged forwards to fill that gap. Getting Mcarthy on the cheap wouldn't be the worst thing we have done.

when a person knows it's their final chance too, they can change.. Think Mayne, from his first year to Grand Final year.

I wanted to add that I'm not suggesting we chase him or make some ridiculous offer. But if nobody else is interested and he's available, why not throw some money at him. We currently only score 50 odd points a game. At this point, I'd be happy to take any human that can kick a goal a game, and put them in our forward line.

Once he refused to play for GWS and sat out a year of Footy from a dummy spit, Fremantle WAS his last chance... and from all reports couldn't be bothered working hard or training during the break and came back in poor shape. Not surprised Fremantle have cut him so early, terrible attitude.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

You are already paying for Beams, you want to double up on that?

My favourite bit about the whole Cam McCarthy shemozzie was when whoever the journo was went with the story of him walking out on GWS. Within minutes, he and GWS players were posting photos of themselves on social media at the pub having beers with a 'doesn't look like he's going anywhere haha' thing going on. The journo was roundly criticised and the pile on was immense.

A day or two later McCarthy requests a trade and then when it doesn't happen he just takes a year off! How much must he have hated it at GWS?!

Also, I saw him emerging from the pool with his teammates after recovery in Brisbane (he was at Freo by this time) a few years ago and he looked like he hadn't gone near a gym in his whole life. Extraordinarily sloppy rig for a professional athlete.
Theres more to the story as to why he took a year off

Apr 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
All these people saying nobody will take him are kidding themselves. He will have several clubs interested.

Don't get me wrong, he will be playing for relative peanuts. But Collingwood is playing an American sideshow as a key forward, Essendon is playing a rotating cadre of VFL-level players, Hawthorn is trying to hold Patton together with duct tape, Sydney is still reliant on an old man and a cripple for its forward options etc.

Several teams will want him on their list for backup depth if nothing else. He won't be recruited because teams will be thrilled to have him, but out of necessity.

Sully90

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
I do genuinely hope it works out for him. Very talented, fun-to-watch player when he's going. Seems like anice bloke when you have a chat to him as well.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Left GWS because of mental health I think. I could be wrong but didn’t Freo have some extra cash floating around because of Pavs career coming to an end. Doubt another club will give him a go.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Damian Barrett had an absolute crush on this bloke when he was at GWS & tipped him to be the best KPF in the league, be interesting to see what he comes out with now his AFL career is all but over

I think that's the first time I've ever heard anyone describe what Barrett says as "interesting" :)

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Australind
AFL Club
West Coast
I think that's the first time I've ever heard anyone describe what Barrett says as "interesting" :)
I don’t know.

Every time he writes about a club that isn’t mine, I find it pretty interesting; He’s usually a detail off here and there which clubs will point to try and discredit his story, but usually where there’s smoke there is fire with his stories. His sources are pretty good. And unlike some others in the media, he’s not usually falling over himself to get the story out first And it be completely wrong. (Exhibit A, Tom Browne)

Unless he’s writing about West Coast, of course. Then everything is completely false. ;)

Linda_Lovelace

Cancelled
Jul 28, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
He would have to do a ton of work. His body is just not AFL standard, looks like he has never touched a weight in his life. Terrible shape and endurance. Might get a senior type rookie role.

Apr 8, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Theres more to the story as to why he took a year off
Snapchat-667838916.jpg

Jun 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
All these people saying nobody will take him are kidding themselves. He will have several clubs interested.

Don't get me wrong, he will be playing for relative peanuts. But Collingwood is playing an American sideshow as a key forward, Essendon is playing a rotating cadre of VFL-level players, Hawthorn is trying to hold Patton together with duct tape, Sydney is still reliant on an old man and a cripple for its forward options etc.

Several teams will want him on their list for backup depth if nothing else. He won't be recruited because teams will be thrilled to have him, but out of necessity.
No worse than recruiting Vickery, right?

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Once he refused to play for GWS and sat out a year of Footy from a dummy spit, Fremantle WAS his last chance... and from all reports couldn't be bothered working hard or training during the break and came back in poor shape. Not surprised Fremantle have cut him so early, terrible attitude.
I think it's just more so that he doesn't really want to be an AFL footballer. Some people are blessed with talents that they don't really want to have - it doesn't mean that they have a terrible attitude as such, it just means that they don't love what they do.

Back