Scandal Fremantle forward Cam McCarthy quits club after being told he won’t get a new contract

Remove this Banner Ad

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think it's just more so that he doesn't really want to be an AFL footballer. Some people are blessed with talents that they don't really want to have - it doesn't mean that they have a terrible attitude as such, it just means that they don't love what they do.

Sitting out a year of Football because you want to play for a different club, despite being paid over 400k, IS a horrific attitude.

Any young kid on that huge salary should just ******* play out the year and get a trade at the end.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Sitting out a year of Football because you want to play for a different club, despite being paid over 400k, IS a horrific attitude.

Any young kid on that huge salary should just ******* play out the year and get a trade at the end.
If GWS were stupid enough not to declare the contract null and void because he no longer wished to play, then that's on them, not him.

If GWS were stupid enough not to declare the contract null and void because he no longer wished to play, then that's on them, not him.

So you would have been happy if Geelong did the same when Kelly wanted to return home?

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
So you would have been happy if Geelong did the same when Kelly wanted to return home?
If Kelly chose to sit out the year while contracted, I would hope that Geelong would ask to have the contract declared null and void, as Kelly was not providing his services to the club.

But Kelly put in a superb year.

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hearing there could be interest from the pies, and he is keen to go there.

I'm fine with that. Funny enough I commented in this thread a few weeks ago saying he would suit a team with a garbage forward line. And our forward line is trash. For the amount of midfield ball we win and skilled midfielders feeding the ball inside 50, our scoring is way too low for that sort of delivery. Getting someone like McCarthy is fine if it's for the right price. A Chris Mayne type of deal is a no go. If we get him on a 2 year deal at a reasonable salary, nothing overboard.. I'd be ok with it. No great expectation, but people can change.. particularly on their last chance. It's also amazing how many players have left Freo and improved as a player - Neale, Weller, Mayne.... They even gave up on Bennell and he's back now. I have faith for players coming out of Freo. Maybe it was a Ross Lyon thing, but over recent times players do seem to improve when they leave there.....

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
How does a bloke who walks out in 2 clubs think he can just nominate a club to go to?

Wouldn't surprise me if the Pies already spoke with him. They were in Perth for a while there. Could also have been the reason he walked out... might already know that someone else is after him. It would be super risky if someone walked out 2nd time, with nowhere to go....

And we are desperate for anything that represents a forward. I don't know about other Pies fans... but personally speaking, I'm sick of how garbage our forward line is and we have no time to get forwards in the draft, because by the time they develop, our current group will be retiring. I just hope that if we get this guy, we make a play for someone big to complement it. I really hope this isn't another Jesse White thing, where we bring in someone that we expect to be the next Josh Kennedy... who is clearly not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Here's a hint for you about how amazing it is, two of those guys were just as good or better when they were at Freo.

Really? Which two? Neale wasn't a Brownlow Fancy at Freo. Mayne was a 1 dimensional forward and Weller is probably on par. More examples? De Boer, Crozier, Collins have all gone from unwanted guys to best 22. Brad Hill remains to be seen what happens with him.

I mean more his attitude. He should be grateful for any opportunity not just think he can demand to get somewhere specific...if in fact that is what has happened

I'm assuming the Pies have shown interest him first before he nominated them, if that is actually what's happened

Sumwun

Senior List
Apr 6, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Really? Which two? Neale wasn't a Brownlow Fancy at Freo. Mayne was a 1 dimensional forward and Weller is probably on par. More examples? De Boer, Crozier, Collins have all gone from unwanted guys to best 22. Brad Hill remains to be seen what happens with him.
It's so typical that the media (and therefore ES fans) only took notice of Lachie Neale after he went to Brisbane. Have a look at his stats for his last 4 years at Freo, and that's sharing the midfield with Nat Fyfe as well. Freo fans know how good he his and have known for years. Weller doesn't seem to have improved much at GCS.
I doubt you would get any Freo supporter who agrees with the decision to part ways with Matty deBoer or Mick Barlow. Crozier and Collins didn't show enough to be kept any longer and I wish Chis Mayne all the best with Collingwood.

ChesterTreasure

Club Legend
Nov 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Bell and Longmuir have cleared out anyone who is suspected of partaking in dodgy extracurricular activities and good on them as this is the first combo in Freo's history to show such courage - watch this space Hogan / Matera / Wilson.
If they had chosen this path 3 years ago, Neale would possibly be primed to become their second Brownlow Medalist come October.
As an Eagles supporter I have so much respect for what Longmuir is dong for this club - begrudgingly I might add !!!
Why would Collingwood take this bloke on following the off field issues they themselves have encountered during the last 3 years and which this year has possibly completely derailed their season at the stage where they were almost un-backable to at least make the GF if not win it.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Wouldn't surprise me if the Pies already spoke with him. They were in Perth for a while there. Could also have been the reason he walked out... might already know that someone else is after him. It would be super risky if someone walked out 2nd time, with nowhere to go....

And we are desperate for anything that represents a forward. I don't know about other Pies fans... but personally speaking, I'm sick of how garbage our forward line is and we have no time to get forwards in the draft, because by the time they develop, our current group will be retiring. I just hope that if we get this guy, we make a play for someone big to complement it. I really hope this isn't another Jesse White thing, where we bring in someone that we expect to be the next Josh Kennedy... who is clearly not.

Haven't you learned from trading in Beams?

I'm assuming the Pies have shown interest him first before he nominated them, if that is actually what's happened
he was asked a question on a fairly laid-back podcast if there was any club in particular he’d like to join and he mentioned Collingwood. don’t think there’s any more to the story then that

showemhowtorock

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bell and Longmuir have cleared out anyone who is suspected of partaking in dodgy extracurricular activities and good on them as this is the first combo in Freo's history to show such courage - watch this space Hogan / Matera / Wilson.
If they had chosen this path 3 years ago, Neale would possibly be primed to become their second Brownlow Medalist come October.
As an Eagles supporter I have so much respect for what Longmuir is dong for this club - begrudgingly I might add !!!
Why would Collingwood take this bloke on following the off field issues they themselves have encountered during the last 3 years and which this year has possibly completely derailed their season at the stage where they were almost un-backable to at least make the GF if not win it.
got rocks in ya head mate, Wilson is rated really highly within the club? and Neale would never win a brownlow while being the second best player on the list, plus it was about money

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Lachie Neale was just as good at Fremantle as he has been at Brisbane. Its just the media has decided to pay attention to him now.

Mayne's best football at Freo, back around 13-14 was far better than anything than he's produced at Collingwood.

Have you seen Josh Bruce this year? Possibly the worst player in the AFL. I'd rather McCarthy over Bruce.
I mean this really sums it up right? Josh Bruce has been servicable for the Dogs, while McCarthy has been non-existent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back