Scandal Fremantle forward Cam McCarthy quits club after being told he won’t get a new contract

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Lachie Neale was just as good at Fremantle as he has been at Brisbane. Its just the media has decided to pay attention to him now.

Mayne's best football at Freo, back around 13-14 was far better than anything than he's produced at Collingwood.

I mean this really sums it up right? Josh Bruce has been servicable for the Dogs, while McCarthy has been non-existent.

That is being very generous.

Hot Diggity

All Australian
Jun 19, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah, you're not wrong. One born every minute.

The only one I can think of that definitely did work - ableit briefly - was Stewart Dew.
Dew retired after 180 games. He was coaxed out of retirement by Clarko.

Not even remotely comparable.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Really? Which two? Neale wasn't a Brownlow Fancy at Freo. Mayne was a 1 dimensional forward and Weller is probably on par. More examples? De Boer, Crozier, Collins have all gone from unwanted guys to best 22. Brad Hill remains to be seen what happens with him.
Chris Mayne in 2012 kicked 39 goals and 7 behinds from 23 games. In 2013, he kicked 35 goals and 10 behinds in 24 games. Has mayne produced that standard at Collingwood?

Mar 30, 2008
The Phase Realm
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Freo , Coney Island Warriors.
Really? Which two? Neale wasn't a Brownlow Fancy at Freo. Mayne was a 1 dimensional forward and Weller is probably on par. More examples? De Boer, Crozier, Collins have all gone from unwanted guys to best 22. Brad Hill remains to be seen what happens with him.
From this comment it is clear that you have absolutely no idea.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
His manager is seriously at odds with Freo - anymore Colin Young players left on the list?

Messy way to end an AFL career. He won’t get another run. He didn’t fire a shot at Freo (and no, 1 off games don’t count) and he has a highly questionable history now.

Freo posters spinning this turn of events as an astute move by both player and club - come on - keep this sh*t in-house. I realise you are still clearing a backlog of Ross Lyon passion projects but it’s really not a good look having players quit the club before the season is even done.
The bloke kicked 36 goals from 21 games at GWS and 63 goals from 49 games at Freo. Not exactly the worse Forward in Freos history...

I would happy to have 4 years of Cam McCarthy than 2 years of Jack Anthony.

Lets look at his Stats:

2017: 25 goals, 19 behinds from 19 games. had a few 2-3 goal games and a 4 goal game vs gold coast.
2018: 19 goals, 17 behinds from 17 games Again a few 2-3 goal games. Nothing special here.
2019: 19 goals, 7 behinds from 12 games. 5 goals vs North, 4 vs Carlton, 3 vs Essendon. Gotta love those "1 off games"
2020: 0 goals, 1 behind from one game.

I just don’t think a guy (with unquestionable talent) walking away from the club before the season is done is ‘win-win’. Shows a level of disconnect between player and club. Plenty of guys know their time is up at a footy club before the end of a season - rarely do we see players ‘cut ties’ immediately when that becomes apparent. 3rd time in recent seasons that this has happened at Freo that I can recall - Bennell, Kersten, McCarthy.

Maybe it’s a byproduct of the current situation but regardless, it’s not a good look and I think Freo would rather it didn’t happen regularly.
Gotta Love your view on Harley Bennell. Show me any articles that he was on as much drugs as Ben Cousins when Bennell was on a freo list, specificially in 2017, 2018 and 2019. Bennell had 4 injury ravaged years at freo. If you can find one off field incident since he has his 1st kid in the middle of 2019, Let me know.

I will give Shane Kersten respect. He went out with a bang and Pot shot Ross Lyon on the way out. 1 week later, Ross Lyon was sacked. Gavin Excell and JackFlash would of loved that.

McCarthy, I think his contract was not going to be renewed. talented bloke but in a way, he wasnt going to cut it

McCarthy acquisition was a massive bust for Fremantle. Must be huge cultural issues at the club.
McCarthy himself was a bust

But the Actual trade?

Pick 3 was given to GWS.

Freo got Cam McCarthy, Pick 8 in griffen logue, Pick 32 in Sean Darcy and Pick 72 in Luke Ryan. Worked out ok for freo. Not the worst trade in freos history.

What are you talking about champ?

McCarthy has been a bust since he arrived at Fremantle.

Much like Hogan.

Much like Colin Sylvia.

Much like Harley Bennell.

Had Lachie Neale and Brad Hill basically flee the club.

Something very wrong at that club.

Ok 1st off, very sad you bought up a dead person in Colin Sylvia. The dead cant defend themselves. Colin Sylvia was a free agent, we didnt trade a couple of 1st rounders to get him.

Hogan? yeah well yes and No as he is still on the list.

Harley Bennell? You guys wasted pick 2 on him. We can Talk about the Harley Bennel trade(s) of you like to go into detail.

Lachie Neale wanted to leave. Freo made the best of a bad situation and essentially traded neale for a Need in Hogan.

Brad Hill???

Well we know what happened there. Originally given a 5 year deal at freo at $500,000 a year for the 2017-2021 seasons... However the deal was front ended: $700,000 a year for 2017 and 2018. he was on $500,000 for 2019. Then had he stayed at freo in 2020 and 2021, he would only be on $300,000 a year.

Saints looked at him and need a player of his skills, decided to throw a 5-6 year deal at $900,000 a year. Brad Hill would be Crazy to turn that down, that would be like turning down a lotto ticket.

Freo got some thing in the end. Saints paid overs for him. Sure, it wasnt the couple of 1st rounders we demanded at the time.

Saints got Brad hill and freos 2020 3rd rounder.....

Freo got in return.....

Blake Acres.

Pick 10, which we traded to get to pick 8 to get Caleb Serong
Pick 58 ended up being michael frederick

Saints future 2nd and 4th rounder. those 2 picks went to collingwood for James aish and collingwoods 2020 3rd rounder.

So In short. Brad Hill and a 3rd rounder for Serong, Frederick, James Aish and a 2020 3rd rounder. Again not the worst trade in freos history.

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Gotta Love your view on Harley Bennell. Show me any articles that he was on as much drugs as Ben Cousins when Bennell was on a freo list, specificially in 2017, 2018 and 2019. Bennell had 4 injury ravaged years at freo. If you can find one off field incident since he has his 1st kid in the middle of 2019, Let me know.

I didn’t say anything about Harley Bennell, other than that he cut ties with the club before the season was finished in 2019 (which he did)..

Aug 27, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
The bloke kicked 36 goals from 21 games at GWS and 63 goals from 49 games at Freo. Not exactly the worse Forward in Freos history...

I would happy to have 4 years of Cam McCarthy than 2 years of Jack Anthony.

Lets look at his Stats:

2017: 25 goals, 19 behinds from 19 games. had a few 2-3 goal games and a 4 goal game vs gold coast.
2018: 19 goals, 17 behinds from 17 games Again a few 2-3 goal games. Nothing special here.
2019: 19 goals, 7 behinds from 12 games. 5 goals vs North, 4 vs Carlton, 3 vs Essendon. Gotta love those "1 off games"
2020: 0 goals, 1 behind from one game.

I will give Shane Kersten respect. He went out with a bang and Pot shot Ross Lyon on the way out. 1 week later, Ross Lyon was sacked. Gavin Excell and JackFlash would of loved that.

McCarthy, I think his contract was not going to be renewed. talented bloke but in a way, he wasnt going to cut it

McCarthy himself was a bust

But the Actual trade?

Pick 3 was given to GWS.

Freo got Cam McCarthy, Pick 8 in griffen logue, Pick 32 in Sean Darcy and Pick 72 in Luke Ryan. Worked out ok for freo. Not the worst trade in freos history.

Ok 1st off, very sad you bought up a dead person in Colin Sylvia. The dead cant defend themselves. Colin Sylvia was a free agent, we didnt trade a couple of 1st rounders to get him.

Hogan? yeah well yes and No as he is still on the list.

Harley Bennell? You guys wasted pick 2 on him. We can Talk about the Harley Bennel trade(s) of you like to go into detail.

Lachie Neale wanted to leave. Freo made the best of a bad situation and essentially traded neale for a Need in Hogan.

Brad Hill???

Well we know what happened there. Originally given a 5 year deal at freo at $500,000 a year for the 2017-2021 seasons... However the deal was front ended: $700,000 a year for 2017 and 2018. he was on $500,000 for 2019. Then had he stayed at freo in 2020 and 2021, he would only be on $300,000 a year.

Saints looked at him and need a player of his skills, decided to throw a 5-6 year deal at $900,000 a year. Brad Hill would be Crazy to turn that down, that would be like turning down a lotto ticket.

Freo got some thing in the end. Saints paid overs for him. Sure, it wasnt the couple of 1st rounders we demanded at the time.

Saints got Brad hill and freos 2020 3rd rounder.....

Freo got in return.....

Blake Acres.

Pick 10, which we traded to get to pick 8 to get Caleb Serong
Pick 58 ended up being michael frederick

Saints future 2nd and 4th rounder. those 2 picks went to collingwood for James aish and collingwoods 2020 3rd rounder.

So In short. Brad Hill and a 3rd rounder for Serong, Frederick, James Aish and a 2020 3rd rounder. Again not the worst trade in freos history.
Bro ! By any chance are you a list manager down Cockburn way ?

Jun 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
From memory he was into the low 20’s before he missed? Or something like that, maybe kicked 20 in a row during the season. Remember there was a period where he couldn’t miss.

edit. It was 14 straight before he missed and then had another run of 13 in a row after that.
I can’t believe people think Mayne elevated his game after he went to Collingwood. It’s more like he played awesome defensively at Fremantle during their premiership window (on top of kicking goals), then once that window ended, looked to become pretty bog average. Then he went to Collingwood, continued that bog average form in a team that coincidentally wasn’t in a window, either - fancy that - but turned it back on once Collingwood became a better as a whole team and entered their window.

Basically, Mayne is a great meat and potatoes type of player. He’s like Liam Shiels Paul Puopolo in this regard. Fantastic when you have class surrounding them as they do the dirty work; ineffective when it’s just them and project forwards - because Mayne’s real strength is bringing others into the game, but how effective that is depends on the players he is actually bringing in.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Absolutely clueless post

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Chris Mayne in 2012 kicked 39 goals and 7 behinds from 23 games. In 2013, he kicked 35 goals and 10 behinds in 24 games. Has mayne produced that standard at Collingwood?

He's been played as a winger and a backman at Collingwood, not the forward role he had at Freo.

He was very good from mid-2018-mid-2019 for us, and was arguably our best player in the 2018 GF.

He's been played as a winger and a backman at Collingwood, not the forward role he had at Freo.

He was very good from mid-2018-mid-2019 for us, and was arguably our best player in the 2018 GF.

Him and Langdon played out of the skins that day in the first half playing as loose men in defense.
Got disrupted a bit more in the second half when Simpsons threw the resting ruck in Vardy/Lycett deep and it forced them to be more accountable in the air.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Surely Taylor Adams?

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Surely Taylor Adams?

True, he was the other main contender.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams

And a pity collingwood fell short in that 2018 GF as I wanted chris Mayne with a premiership medal

Back