Autopsy Fremantle kick 34 points and still don't beat Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved the intensity. Defense on top for most of the day.
AP and Ryan both in line for AA you'd think.
My buddy Nyhuis not going out any time soon.
A functioning forward line would have been nice, but there was a lot of pressure from their defenders too.
Few very strange umpiring decisions and non-decisions that changed momentum
Promising signs. Should out pressure Richmond next week.

Thought the effort was great, everyone in defense was immense. I think Cerra and Brayshaw took big steps in the right direction. Also massive props to the way Tucker has played this year.

The forward entries were terrible though, I really don't know the cause. We obviously play a lot better at Optus but we can't butcher the ball like that and expect to win in Adelaide.

Think Hogan needs a rest, he hasn't played well recently. Id bring Darcy, Cox and Blakeley in.

End of the day can't sook too much because we are so much better than last year.

I think there is a lot of positives to take away from that game. As mentioned in the Ross thread, it was high pressure, intense and frenetic and ultimately a great learning experience for our young players. The more they experience games like that the better the decision making will become.

Fyfe was phenomal. Nyhuis great. Mundy his reliable self. Pearce will surpass McPharlin. Cerra needs to be moved into the guts. Can see a lot of future in a lot of our guys.

This was not a game I thought we'd win and considering that fact and the poor decisions from the umpires I'm not unhappy with the result today. It gives me good belief for Richmond next week.

My negatives, however, are our forwards, Hill and skills. We're playing too tall with no apparent game plan or tactics. Nobody really commits to pack flying when it's bombed in. Tabs isn't smart enough for second efforts so instead of congregating around him tightly, bomb to him and strategically place yourself in proximity to collect whatever he doesn't mark.

Hill was immature today. Poor form.

Very proud of the effort, that was a seriously intense game. Probably the highest intensity game I've seen all season and we kept coming at them until the end. Going to be some very sore bodies tomorrow for both teams.

In the end those two stupid 50m penalties cost us dearly (one of which was more like an 80m penalty, thanks umps).

Speaking of umps, that would have been a much better game had they attempted to umpire by the rules. Particularly the HTB rule, which suddenly didn't exist. Of course they did manage to ping Mundy HTB in the middle after they'd let them go the previous 25 times to kickstart that little match winning period for Adelaide late in the 3rd.

Moving post to this thread

Positives:
- THought AB and Cerra were absolutely terrific. Were completely gassed in the last quarter which is understandable after an incredibly tough game. Big step forward today I thought.
- Pearce was unbelievable. Just completely destroyed one of the in-form tall forwards in the comp. Destroyed Cameron in that GWS game as well but he got 4 of the softest damn goals, shits me.
- Nyhuis is now firmly best 22
- Wilson I thought continued his resurgance from last week, good to see.
- Matched it with what will undoubtedly be a top 8, maybe 4 side with a wealth experience and maturity on there home deck in one of the most taxing games of the season. Massive tick to the guys

Negatives
- Dardy needs to bring back McThor, cant afford to have another game or two like that. Wouldnt mind seeing Cox come in from him
- Hogan was worst on ground. His worst game for the year
- When your borderline b22, you dont get to have games like Colyer did
- Umpiring diabolical both ways.
- Forwardline is going to take the rest of the year before its gelling consistently I feel. Structure was terrible today and Adelaide were terrific. Entries forward were just as bad so its not all on them

I thought Luke Ryan was average today. He must have bombed the ball long every time he got the ball, lower the ******* eyes. Dumb footballer, did not adjust to the loose man the Adelaide had behind the play.

Brayshaw and Cerra were pretty good.

Pearce and Nyhuis were brilliant

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really proud of the effort, it was a VERY high pressure contest and our boys will learn a lot.
To see some of our young brigade stand up under that kind of heat was very pleasing.
A bit like the GC game, I recon we will take some great learning out of this game.

Simply bizarre umpiring. There was no such thing as incorrect disposal today. Thought it went both ways and wasn't the reason we lost but it was one of the worst umpiring displays I've ever seen.
Pretty happy overall considering where we've come from, you can see what they're working towards. Would have been miraculous to win that.

The positives were the performances of Fyfe, Ryan, Mundy, Pearce, Nyhuis, Brayshaw and Cerra.

The forward line just weren’t strong or tough or hard working enough. The Crows defenders were extremely good but they had it too easy.

The rest were acceptable to good.

The umpiring was great for a half and then changed their interpretations and started to listen to the crowd. Very disappointing to see them weaken after a strong first half.

Our midfield's ability to win the ball and our backline were fantastic.

Forward line and entry into said forward line was very poor. Hogan and McCarthy were poo, Tabs was slightly better than them but not much. Matera and Switta invisble for most of the game.

Coyler - Just not sure what he offers other than a mature body.

Brayshaw and Cerra took big strides in the right direction.

Nyhuis - Get this bloke a contract.

AP/Hamling/Ryan - Absolutely phenomenal.

Langdon did well on the wing, Bhill not his best game.

Fyfe's field kicking was good today. He had a great game.

Mundy - Just beasting on.

Should have pushed our forwards deeper, earlier. Adelaide clogged that game up every chance they got, we were working well when we got in space.

We were competitive away from home for 4qtrs and we could have won that game. Happy, but frustrated. Defense was immense, midfield good, forward line needs work..... alot of work.

Umpires didnt cost us the game.
Yeah this, the umpires were ******* terrible particularly in the last 5 or so minutes in the 3rd, but at the end of the day we only have ourselves to blame

Yep our whole back six were unbelievable.
Ryan and Pearce top of the tree .unbelevably good.
Thought Wilson really stepped it up in last half
Hammer .enotgh said love him
Nyhuis is such an honest footballer but genuinely has good skills/smarts.
Cerra was great in that last quarter.
Andy good too and tucker besides that brain fade awesome
Fyfe and Mundy, in particular is just so clutch , he really is our Shaun Burgoyne

Thought our fwds let us down badly today , yes delivery was poor but they weren’t to smart the way they went about things , apart from Jesse who I thought tried hard.
Cam Mac-go back to peel and learn what it’s like to fight . Was nothing short of dog**** today

All in all frustrating game to watch , really just lack that finishing polish.

Good signs tho for an inexperienced team to tough it out in finals like intensity can only bode enormously well going fwd.

Oh yeah and lol to those blaming Ross , , for the game-didn’t see Adelaide (pyke) doing anything other than trying to counter us by locking the game down every bit as defensively as we were.

Absolutely disgraceful umpiring both ways today. AFL is by far the worst umpired sport I’ve ever seen and tbh I think the AFL itself rather than the individuals involved are mostly responsible. There was ten free kicks each all day. No one here can make an argument this made the game better - it almost certainly made the game worse.

Umpires seem almost afraid of calling anything these days.

I thought Luke Ryan was average today. He must have bombed the ball long every time he got the ball, lower the ******* eyes. Dumb footballer, did not adjust to the loose man the Adelaide had behind the play.
Quoted for quite possibly the most factually incorrect thing I’ve ever seen on big footy.
I ....don’t....even.....

Wilson was a lot better today. Just the finishing that was concerning. But then nobody seemed to want to hit a target today. Mad, mad kicking inaccuracy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back