Autopsy Fremantle kick 34 points and still don't beat Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Tabs is so frustrating. In fairness though he did get man raped by Talia for big parts of the game but on a day like today where the whislte was put away he needs to work harder in the contest like we know he can. Today was one of those games were we needed him to launch at the ball but he keeps going into his shell like a turtle. His second efforts were ordinary. He got slightly better as the game went on but geez we need to get that boy some tiger blood or something...
Tabs couldn’t get any space nor was he without 2 defenders. Lots of times we went i50 and there one Freo player with 5 Adelaide around in the 50.
Where’s the others? Why forward so bare?
Talia just scragged and held Tabs for life. Hogan missed some shots. But McCarthy.. absolute joke. He has the third or fourth best defender, and yet was worse then Hogan and Tabs. He doesn’t do much 1on1s, ain’t fast. Cox provides better body on body.

He’s never been unbiased. Ever. Is the most blatantly biased commentator in the game and has been for years.

Not only biased but dumb as ****. Jakovich levels of dumb. I mean he called a htb when there wasn’t even a tackle laid ffs. And that was after watching the replay!

That drove me nuts. I can't believe none of the others pulled him up on that.

I thought our forwards hardly even made a contest tonight. I know WAFL form doesn’t necessarily warrant it, but cox in for McCarthy for me. Taberner was back to lackluster tabs from a few years ago. McCarthy for cox.

It's not just the fact he's biased, he is literally dumber than a pile of dog **** to go along with one of the most grating voices you'll ever hear. He makes Hamish McLachlan look like a merit hire. Even Adelaide fans (the ones with brains) have to be sick of him by now
This, before you even get to his bias, he’s simply not a good commentator and a perfect example of just because someone plays 300 games doesn’t mean they’re any good as a commentator

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We didn't get the ball to the forwards well though. We put it on top of the heads of our forwards, which gives the defender behind them a good chance of foiling or otherwise influencing the outcome, whereas putting the ball in front, the defender can only influence the outcome by holding, push, chop of the arms etc (and get away with a few of those, but a few of the illegal actions will result in a free kick inside of 50 for the forward).

If guys like Hogan, McCarthy and Tabs hit the contest the same way as the defenders did in Hartigan, Nhyuis & Ryan did today the result would be different.
Cox would of made a difference today IMO.

It's not just the fact he's biased, he is literally dumber than a pile of dog **** to go along with one of the most grating voices you'll ever hear. He makes Hamish McLachlan look like a merit hire. Even Adelaide fans (the ones with brains) have to be sick of him by now

Just as bad was Pav agreeing with him. Like when Taberner couldn't make up his mind where to kick the ball and Betts came fom behind when he was eventually called to play on, and Taberner got pushed in the side and Riccutto reckoned it should have been called "ball" or "incorrect disposal" when he wasn't even tackled.

Thought we got forced to go around the edges a lot, especially in the first 3 quarters and there were a lot of kicks that had to be squeezed along the boundary line to a contest, quite a few times just ending up out of bounds.

It wasn't like we got the ball into forward 50m and it came back with direct rebound attacking play, although there were a few examples of that. I would have backed our forwards to do more, but the quality of entry wasn't there, we gave them too many intecept opportunities and while their defense was good, I thought a few times the attack on the contest by the forwards was missing - or everyone was up all at once.

There seemed to be a counter by both sides to ever bit of good play all over the ground. It wasn't outright poor skills all the time, just a lot of pressure at each contest resulting in little outside play. They were just slightly better in winning possessions, and more times than I liked they gained some extra territory by being able to break tackles.

Frustrating in a game where there was little flow was the one on the wing in the 2nd quarter when it looked like we were out, had the overlap, Langdon marked, Hill was running past and there was someone down the line ready for the next receive, looked a clear rare chance to break into forward 50m on our own terms and the handball from Langdon missed Hill and went out of bounds.

Don't think we panicked at any stage, even when they had almost doubled our score 39 to 20 (bar those silly 50m penalties against). When Walters scored his goal there was more than 9 minutes left with a 6 point margin.

Last edited:
Sucks to lose, particularly as it felt like the game was there for the taking. Crows should have had us on the ropes at half time, but we hung in there.

+ Defensive structure across the ground. Continues to hold up. This is the sort of game that we would have wilted in last year
+ Nhyuis is looking great. Wilson has played a couple of good games in a row, hopefully he is back. Alex Pearce is amazing.
+ Cerra and AB lifted us in the last. Super encouraging signs

- Forward connection. It stunk.
- Lobb getting beaten by a less experienced player (again)
- *ing Mark Riccuito. Just a garbage commentator.

I think we are too tall up forward at the moment. I'd be keen to try 2 talls rather than the current 3 tall structure.

Frustrating in a game where there was little flow was the one on the wing in the 2nd quarter when it looked like we were out, had the overlap, Langdon marked, Hill was running past and there was someone down the line ready for the next receive, looked a clear chance to break into forward 50m on our own terms and the handball from Langdon missed Hill and went out of bounds

I was thinking the same thing. It was reminiscent of Langdon & McCarthy against WC. It was an important passage of play on a day when outside run was barely seen and we threatened to swing the game with one passage of play.

You do see some limitations in our players at times in pressure games.

Matera I thought at one point in the last quarter had a clear chance to ping on goal inside 50m, but had to load up on his left foot, so he couldn't absorb being closed down on his left side, but if he'd been able to use his right foot... And Colyer in the last quarter when he received that pass across goal that eventually led to the 50m penalty and goal against Tucker. He didn't want to risk kicking it right away when Tucker was on and in space, then went back on the mark and chose the same option again but couldn't keep his kick inside the boundary line.

In footy but also in life in general, you find out a lot about how people behave, how they respond, under enormous pressure. To see Brayshaw and Cerra step up in that last quarter was a great sign of things to come.
Today re-affirmed with me that we have two absolute rippers ready to tear up the midfield in a year or two.

That was as draining and as pressure filled as you will likely get in a game (finals included), and when the going got rough, these two got going. With all the talk of us not having taken Naughton, it needs to be remembered what we would have missed out on had we taken him.

Today re-affirmed with me that we have two absolute rippers ready to tear up the midfield in a year or two.

That was as draining and as pressure filled as you will likely get in a game (finals included), and when the going got rough, these two got going. With all the talk of us not having taken Naughton, it needs to be remembered what we would have missed out on had we taken him.

Yes. Hopefully it shuts up the Brayshaw doubters.

Like the GWS game, which showed how powerful we could be when firing at all three lines, we’ll hopefully look back at this game as one that the team took a lot of lessons from.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back