Autopsy Fremantle kick 34 points and still don't beat Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Its not based on anything, its off a website, but they were the worst 6 from our team.
McCarthy offers nothing if he's not kicking goals, or passing.
Switta offers defensive pressure

He's correct, you've copied it from afl.com.au match centre which sorts by fantasy points as default.

There were other players that had lower disposal counts than those 6 you mentioned.

Last edited:
Hard fought game ! Could we have won ?
We still are missing easy shots on goal and we have been doing so for years.
Breaks my heart to watch the misses at goal.
Must be bad coaching on kicking routines or no coaching at all.
Defence is coming along great.

Yeah kicking for goal is a joke. Get the forwards to kick to a sulo bin, like Lockett and dunstall used too. They don’t go enough set shots at training I’m told

You can't really complain about the 50, though. It was one of the easiest decisions the umpire had to make all game. It was complete stupidity from Tucker.
In all fairness to Tucker though, I dont think he realized it was out on the full...i think he thought it was just out of bounds...

Our offensive game will grow and we've see flashes of it. At least we can take comfort in the fact that we know how to dig in and stop teams as well. Having 50 inside 50's for 9 shots on goal is not great, our forwards were well beaten and our delivery was not good either.

Yeah kicking for goal is a joke. Get the forwards to kick to a sulo bin, like Lockett and dunstall used too. They don’t go enough set shots at training I’m told

Dunstall and Lockett only ever went outside F50 when the quarter ended. They wouldn't have ever even done a 2km time trial.

The modern player has two issues when kicking for goal. The first is fatigue. The second is the age old psychological issues that start eating away at confidence. Remember Stevie Johnson became the first bloke to start snapping set shots from within the field of play because he had a shocking case of the yips. Practice builds confidence but some blokes never manage to completely quieten that nagging voice in your head that tells you kicking at goal is more difficult than any other kick.

Agreed my one eyed friend, but the definition of passing to someone in a better position needs to be very clear. Both Hogan and Fyfe went for ridiculously difficult passes and both times the ball was turned over. Turnovers on the 50 metre arc absolutely kill you, as the opposition can rebound quickly.

Unless there is a clear and achievable pass option I'd rather see the ball sailing towards goal - if it comes off, fine. If not, then at worst it is a kick in from a point or a possession to the opposition deep in their defense, which is much easier to defend.

All these things are what will be reviewed and hopefully we learn from them, but high risk cross field passes should only be attempted by your very best kickers, and neither Fyfe nor Hogan is one of those!

I (poorly) attempted to infer that Hogans pass, wasn't an attempt to pass to a player in a better position, but to try and gift his goal to another player, in an effort to fit in with colleagues. Not the first time, he's repeatedly passing off shots that he could and should take.

Pretty happy with Darcy Tucker’s output this season so far
The investment in him is really starting to pay off
He used to go missing for large periods of games but seems to be getting a lot more of it this year, generally uses it well too
Young player just starting to come into his own

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As Ross said in the presser, it was one of those games where irresistible force meets immovable object, both teams playing a similar game and the ball (and umpires) just bounced their way in a couple of critical moments.
I texted a friend at half time saying it was what happens when the immovable object meets the immovable object.

In all fairness to Tucker though, I dont think he realized it was out on the full...i think he thought it was just out of bounds...
If you watch a replay of it, you'll see he puts the ball down before it's called OOF. How could he correctly give the ball to the player with the free, when the opposition haven't been given a free yet?

I texted a friend at half time saying it was what happens when the immovable object meets the immovable object.

If you watch a replay of it, you'll see he puts the ball down before it's called OOF. How could he correctly give the ball to the player with the free, when the opposition haven't been given a free yet?
Yep thats what I meant :) I think he just thought it was out of bounds...

The really frustrating thing about the Betts htb was that it was the glamour tackle, the one that really gets the team and the crowd going. The dogged defender and the crafty small forward against each other. I don't think anyone would really mind if they relaxed the stupid dragging it in pack htb, but the glamour run down? That's just one of the best things in football. And I say that while conceding that there were a couple I reckon should have gone against us, though from memory they weren't in such a dangerous part of the ground.

The really frustrating thing about the Betts htb was that it was the glamour tackle, the one that really gets the team and the crowd going. The dogged defender and the crafty small forward against each other. I don't think anyone would really mind if they relaxed the stupid dragging it in pack htb, but the glamour run down? That's just one of the best things in football. And I say that while conceding that there were a couple I reckon should have gone against us, though from memory they weren't in such a dangerous part of the ground.

That's it. I'm not sure what the AFL/Umps Asc. will say if anything, but even in this era where everybody including the experts seem to have NFI what holding the ball actually is, that Betts non-call would be called 99% of the time.

I think the Umps were in the mode of not calling much and just didn't snap out of it when the moment to make a call was there. Though in fairness they did ping a couple of other obvious ones, but boy oh boy that was a bad miss.

Also how is dropping the ball on the boundary (Tucker's decision) a 50? Isn't that what happens after literally every free?

Once you have the ball in your hand you have to give it directly back to the person who has the free. If it's on the ground you can leave it where it is, but you can't drop it on the ground if you already have it.

The Betts non-decision highlights the problem with the good old "put the whistle away and let them play" chestnut that ex-players roll out occasionally. How blatant does it have to be before you pay a free kick?

The holding ball rule has become so convoluted that you can use no prior opportunity, knocked out in the tackle, no genuine attempt, incorrect disposal and he dived on it to justify any decision/non-decision you like.

The game on the weekend was the kind of contested, congested footy where you'd expect lots of frees to be paid. Picking out the odd high tackle or holding the ball, especially when it results in a goal just frustrates everyone.

The Betts non-decision highlights the problem with the good old "put the whistle away and let them play" chestnut that ex-players roll out occasionally. How blatant does it have to be before you pay a free kick?

The holding ball rule has become so convoluted that you can use no prior opportunity, knocked out in the tackle, no genuine attempt, incorrect disposal and he dived on it to justify any decision/non-decision you like.

The game on the weekend was the kind of contested, congested footy where you'd expect lots of frees to be paid. Picking out the odd high tackle or holding the ball, especially when it results in a goal just frustrates everyone.

I thought they did a good job, other than the Mundy htb and the Betts non-htb. Both decisions were totally against the way the game and htb's had been adjudicated up until then and after. 2 blatantly wrong decisions, both against us, both in the 3rd quarter.

I thought they did a good job, other than the Mundy htb and the Betts non-htb. Both decisions were totally against the way the game and htb's had been adjudicated up until then and after. 2 blatantly wrong decisions, both against us, both in the 3rd quarter.
Do you know if there's footage around of the Mundy one? I can't remember it during the game.

Farewell #7 ranked attack, we hardly knew ye.
found that surprising.

I don't care where we rank in attack. I don't care if freo average 90 points a game this season or 13.12.90 and be the 10th best attacking side doing that.

Going to be posting 90-110 points at home if things go good.

Much better than 2016-18 averaging 72 or 73 points a game or 10 goals and 12 behinds a game.

Was a pretty ugly game with Adelaide flooding like God having a hissy fit. Good signs with our mids but we burnt so much ball going forward. Adelaides defenders obviously had license to assault us, but we could have bought the ball in low and fast instead of trying to bomb it to the same spot time after time.

We'd have probably been more productive just dribbling the ball in. FFS as soon as a team drops a player back to float across HB we just keep kicking it to them. Bulldogs did it with English and he almost won the game for them mopping up back there. The Eagles do it every bloody game we play them with McGovern.

We need to improve our delivery. Efficiency going forward is killing us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back