Geoff

Premium Platinum
May 13, 2004
W.A.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
So, which one of the below did Andy do to warrant a free kick?

17.3 PROHIBITED CONTACT

17.3.1 Spirit and Intention
A Player who makes the football their sole objective shall be provided every opportunity to do so.

17.3.2 Free Kicks - Prohibited Contact
A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player when that Player makes any of the following Prohibited Contact with an opposition Player:

(a) executes a tackle that is not legal;
(b) pushes an opposition Player in the back;
(c) makes high contact to an opposition Player (including the top of the shoulders) with any part of their body;
(d) holds an opposition Player who is not in possession of the football;
(e) executes an illegal Shepherd;
(f) Charges an opposition Player;
(g) trips or attempts to trip an opposition Player, whether by hand, arm, foot or leg;
(h) kicks or attempts to kick an opposition Player;
(i) Kicks or attempts to Kick the football in a manner likely to cause injury;
(j) strikes or attempts to strike an opposition Player, whether by hand, fist, arm, knee or head; or
(k) bumps or makes forceful contact to an opposition Player from front-on when that Player has their head down over the football

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

ilikepotatoes

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Pistons, Glory
So, which one of the below did Andy do to warrant a free kick?

17.3 PROHIBITED CONTACT

17.3.1 Spirit and Intention
A Player who makes the football their sole objective shall be provided every opportunity to do so.

17.3.2 Free Kicks - Prohibited Contact
A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player when that Player makes any of the following Prohibited Contact with an opposition Player:

(a) executes a tackle that is not legal;
(b) pushes an opposition Player in the back;
(c) makes high contact to an opposition Player (including the top of the shoulders) with any part of their body;
(d) holds an opposition Player who is not in possession of the football;
(e) executes an illegal Shepherd;
(f) Charges an opposition Player;
(g) trips or attempts to trip an opposition Player, whether by hand, arm, foot or leg;
(h) kicks or attempts to kick an opposition Player;
(i) Kicks or attempts to Kick the football in a manner likely to cause injury;
(j) strikes or attempts to strike an opposition Player, whether by hand, fist, arm, knee or head; or
(k) bumps or makes forceful contact to an opposition Player from front-on when that Player has their head down over the football

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
The fact they used the words prohibited contact makes me feel they were clutching at straws on that one. I still don't actually know what the free kick was called for?

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
IMG_20200817_182419.jpg

From Fox Footy tonight. Where the mark was versus where it should have been.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
You should know better than to come here and lecture us after that kind of loss. Show some tact ffs.

I wasn't lecturing you, I was responding to a question about how many of our goals came from Frees (2/5) that was asked of me by one of your own posters.

I apologise if it sounded like I was.

I actually think the free for the hit on Docherty was soft (but arguably there; I've seen similar paid), and he should have been around 4-5 meters back from where he was lined to take the kick, and it should have been Gibbons taking it, so you blokes have a right to feel aggrieved there.

I actually didnt notice it at first watching the game on Foxtel. I was as confused as you guys were.

My view is the two 'in the back's' we gave up in the last quarter should also have been downfield (if you dont pay them downfield, it just encourages blokes to push people in the back as a 'professional free' to enable your side to set up). The Rules arent exactly clear there, but they should be.

Heck, I reckon they should just scrap the 'downfield' rule and award 50 for prohibited contact during (or just after) the ball carrier disposes of the football by foot. It's a lot more clarity to the players and umpires, and avoids those kinds of professional frees being given away.

Also, Fyfe is a gun. With a nod to Ed Curnow, he was the best on ground for mine up to the 4th. I dont know why he wasnt moved into the middle in the 4th, but I'm glad he wasnt. What was that all about?

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I wasn't lecturing you, I was responding to a question about how many of our goals came from Frees (2/5) that was asked of me by one of your own posters.

I actually think the free for the hit on Docherty was soft (but arguably there; I've seen similar paid), and he should have been around 4-5 meters back from where he was lined to take the kick, and it should have been Gibbons taking it, so you blokes have a right to feel aggrieved there.

I actually didnt notice it at first watching the game on Foxtel. I was as confused as you guys were.

My view is the two 'in the back's' we gave up in the last quarter should also have been downfield (if you dont pay them downfield, it just encourages blokes to push people in the back as a 'professional free' to enable your side to set up). The Rules arent exactly clear there, but they should be.

Heck, I reckon they should just scrap the 'downfield' rule and award 50 for prohibited contact during (or just after) the ball carrier disposes of the football by foot. It's a lot more clarity to the players and umpires, and avoids those kinds of professional frees being given away.

Im actually as interested as you guys are to see what the AFL's official position is on those calls.

Also, Fyfe is a gun. With a nod to Ed Curnow, he was the best on ground for mine up to the 4th. I dont know why he wasnt moved into the middle in the 4th, but I'm glad he wasnt. What was that all about?
Just * him off Taylor. Do your job.

You can't seriously argue that the free-kick was there without sounding like a muppet for expecting Brayshaw to defy the laws of physics.

Oct 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Liverpool, Cardinals
Gee whixz, I didn't expect the AFL to rule all decisions were correct.

I mean, honestly, just because the AFL always rules every decision correct is no reason to do it again....surely?

Considering the deliberate out of bounds calls that were not paid, the only thing I can think of with the Tabs decision is the AFL changed the rules inside the last minute of the game. So yes, all decisions were correct.

They must have changed the rules on prohibited contact after disposal because there was no downfield free to Freo in the last quarter when there should have been one and arguably two paid to Freo. So after they changed the rules, all decisions were correct. all good so far.

When Walters was dumped after he kicked the ball towards the wing and there was again no downfield free called, well there must have been a rule change as a result of that because less than15 seconds later, Carlton got a downfield free for an identical incident. Of course, the rule change meant every decision was correct.

Docherty playing on, off field forward of the mark and having to run around the boundary umpire in the process was of course correct. The following night when that happened in the Wet Toast game, it was called back for a throw in but don't worry, all decisions were correct. Absolutely.

Of course, the AFL can't ever admit their umpires changed a game result because that might jeopardise future income from the 'betting partners of the AFL'. These guys are actually making FIFA look honest in comparison

wild side

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I didn't think Brayshaw's attempted smother was a free kick, especially a down the ground free.
It was very marginally late, and not high, their player milked it.
What is the player supposed to do? Just pretend to smother.
But they had 5 players 30 plus in that game on the w/end, we had one
We are in a better development phase based on our young fellas and I think our future games will be spicy.

Oct 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Liverpool, Cardinals
I guess you just have to be grateful this BS happened in an irrelevant year between 2 sides irrelevant to the finals? Unfortunately because the AFL will never admit to making a mistake there's nothing stopping this happening again in a year where it actually matters.

Yeah but this BS seems to happen to Freo during the 'normal' seasons as well.

The AFL must be a pretty impressive organisation. Season after season after season with no umpiring errors. It's like....magic!!!

Jan 23, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle

Think this is pretty valid and pretty balanced assessment from a opposition supporter. I did notice the previous frees weren’t paid down the ground as well so was confused. Honestly, we were holding on from about 10min mark of the 2nd quarter, while dubious free kicks in the last 20 seconds there were plenty of opportunities for either side to have settled it much earlier.

What I noticed in the 3rd when you guys had clear dominance is we were still sending Brayshaw/ Serong/ Cerra into the middle Sometimes with Mundy as the old head giving advice, when Mundy/Fyfe/ Walters would have been the obvious choice. While Cripps and Curnow were both repeatedly in there. When it still continued later in the 4th quarter, thought they were doing it on purpose for development. I have no doubt that Fyfe spent more time forward than normal. 1st quarter he was there and dominated.

in my opinion, Curnow dominated but him and Cripps took the majority of time through the middle. Blues were keen to win this game, where Freo were keen to expose the young guys with the experience. FWIW I feel like guys like Dow, Walsh and SPS would develop quicker if they were played through the middle more often. (or played at all in the case of Dow).

this is my outside observation only maybe on centre bounce Attendances (?) would be great if there were some stats guys out there to prove it wrong or right.

meesy

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
From what I can tell the AFL's business model is to attract as many new fans to the game as possible. The commentary is a good example, hammering in players names, fawning over the top players and having a clearly obvious play-by-play call of the game. Seeing a flush kick after the siren and the ensuing celebration is entertaining. I know that the umpires are at least impartial to the desires of the AFL, however the lack of regulation, clarity and nous in regards to officiating the game is extremely negligent. I think this could potentially be either laziness or intentional. A commenter on fox (can't remember who) suggested that umpires are like the conditions - sometimes it goes your way, sometimes it doesn't. It adds to the spectacle. Seeing how outraged everyone here is plays into that. I've certainly refreshed big footy more so than usual, looking at different opinions and takes. We're the already hooked crowd. Jacking up the outrage increases attention on the product (as many social media sites have discovered and is now well documented). I don't think the AFL really cares that it isn't a fair game, at least in regards to officiation. They are protecting their bottom line and that bottom line is financial. Keep the sport entertaining (if the game was boring you can bet they AFL won't hesitate to change the rules, which is evidenced in the last few years) the new fans will tune in more and the old heads like us will keep going for a fix despite the umpiring because we love our teams.

regardless of your opinion on the merit of all the free kicks, I think it can be agreed that there’s no way in hell the AFL would have acknowledged making a mistake beyond who kicked it

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
I'm not sure whether this is lack of fitness or lack of direction, but this is a really simple thing that should be enforced on everyone in the team every time. Failure to do so allows teams to play on quickly and in the case on Saturday, to steal a huge advantage.

When I am king of the world this will be my first mandate.

As king of the world, can your second decision be to mandate that all beer come with the date of bottling/canning on it? Damn I’m tired of stale beer. Just bought some dopplebock that was oxidized as hell. All hail King Cesoir! The bringer of fresh beer!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
I guess you just have to be grateful this BS happened in an irrelevant year between 2 sides irrelevant to the finals? Unfortunately because the AFL will never admit to making a mistake there's nothing stopping this happening again in a year where it actually matters.

Totally agree and just for a minute let’s switch the teams... Freo kicks the winning goal instead of Carlton

Does anyone on here honestly think that the media talking heads wouldn’t be quick to point out how Carlton was slighted and how Freo really didn’t win the game because they were gifted the goal?? There would be analysis up the a$$ on the spot of the ball and the rules as written. Is there bias in American sport media. For sure. But not like what what goes on here.

It’s frustrating at times but I’m glad Freo are the underdogs. #UsvsThem

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back