Autopsy Fremantle lose to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve been fuming until now. But We have a young team and I think JLo’s attitude that the boys will learn from this is the right one. Young teams go through this. Well know when we’ve turned the corner when we start winning those types of games. Right now, we’re too raw and have waaayyyyyy to many injuries. One more year to learn the game plan, dump the S&C/medical team (which I believe will happen) and get healthy will help.

After the dust settled I think I’m glad our draft position improved with the loss. It sucks but one more stellar draft class and a few top up players should be just about right.

#UmpsStillSuck

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Coach telling the player control the controllable is what you want to hear.

After the dust settled I think I’m glad our draft position improved with the loss. It sucks but one more stellar draft class and a few top up players should be just about right.

I have a decent sized bet at $17 on us to make the 8, if the decisions on the weekend end up costing us finals I'll be even more angry.

regardless of your opinion on the merit of all the free kicks, I think it can be agreed that there’s no way in hell the AFL would have acknowledged making a mistake beyond who kicked it

And this is exactly why AFL Umpiring will never improve.

For years the AFL has not only ignored the deplorable standard of umpiring league wide but made the game even harder to umpire. Instead of recognising clear mistakes every single mistake is justified like there’s nothing wrong. How does anyone in life learn from not recognising mistakes? It just doesn’t happen anywhere in life. For a “professional” organisation it’s shocking tbh.

I mean seriously my FB feed was full of footy fans saying we were robbed - half the people posting were bloody eagles fans who normally wouldn’t miss the chance to hang sh*t on us.

It’s getting to the point where myself and many people are switching off their TVs. I 3-4 years ago watched every game I was at home to see. Now if Freo isn’t playing I don’t turn the TV on even if I’ve got nothing else to do. If there was a way of supporting my club and not giving the AFL a single cent I’d do it in an absolute heartbeat.

The substandard nature of Umpiring, Media Coverage and the Garbage Organisation that are the AFL themselves have made a guy who used to love the game almost wish it didn’t exist.

I love this club though - I’m a Freo guy and always will be. It’s just very very hard to support footy at all atm.

Last edited:

For years the AFL has not only ignored the deplorable standard of umpiring league wide but made the game even harder to umpire. Instead of recognising clear mistakes every single mistake is justified like there’s nothing wrong. How does anyone if life learn from mistakes and get better? It just doesn’t happen anywhere in life. For a “professional” organisation it’s shocking tbh.

I mean seriously my FB feed was full of footy fans saying we were robbed - half the people posting were bloody eagles fans who normally wouldn’t miss the chance to hang sh*t on us.

It’s getting to the point where myself and many people are switching off their TVs. I 3-4 years ago watched every game I was at home to see. Now if Freo isn’t playing I don’t turn the TV on even if I’ve got nothing else to do. If there was a way of supporting my club and not giving the AFL a single cent I’d do it in an absolute heartbeat.

The substandard nature of Umpiring, Media Coverage and the Garbage Organisation that are the AFL themselves have made a guy who used to love the game almost wish it didn’t exist.

I love this club though - I’m a Freo guy and always will be. It’s just very very hard to support footy at all atm.
I’m the same. I care not to watch any games other than Freo and even then I get bored at time’s and kill a bit of time in the middle. Love Freo and enjoy talking about the club but AFL is becoming very hard to watch. The umpiring just downright confusing. Really lost me when there was a HTB decision where two players (Ess and Bris) were standing up hugging the ball and the umpires plucked out a free to Brisbane. I hadn’t really gotten over the Tab non mark in the goal square against Brisbane but now find myself going whatever...

For years the AFL has not only ignored the deplorable standard of umpiring league wide but made the game even harder to umpire. Instead of recognising clear mistakes every single mistake is justified like there’s nothing wrong. How does anyone if life learn from mistakes and get better? It just doesn’t happen anywhere in life. For a “professional” organisation it’s shocking tbh.

I have to agree, this is not the game we grew up with.

2 years ago when I could stomach SEN, I sent a text in saying that umpiring is slowly ruining the game & will influence results more than it was already (at that point)

They read it out (from memory it was Maher) & said players make more mistakes that influence games. Of course they are right, but we don’t pay to watch the *en umpires mistakes!

A serious umpiring stuff up will one day cost a team a flag & what’s the fricken odds its us!!

2 years ago when I could stomach SEN, I sent a text in saying that umpiring is slowly ruining the game & will influence results more than it was already (at that point)

They read it out (from memory it was Maher) & said players make more mistakes that influence games. Of course they are right, but we don’t pay to watch the fu**en umpires mistakes!

A serious umpiring stuff up will one day cost a team a flag & what’s the fricken odds its us!!
What, you mean like this?

They read it out (from memory it was Maher) & said players make more mistakes that influence games. Of course they are right, but we don’t pay to watch the fu**en umpires mistakes!

You mean like the blatant Willie Rioli block on Brayden Maynard that allowed Sheed to win the 2018 GF?

No, it'll never hsppen.

For years the AFL has not only ignored the deplorable standard of umpiring league wide but made the game even harder to umpire. Instead of recognising clear mistakes every single mistake is justified like there’s nothing wrong. How does anyone in life learn from not recognising mistakes? It just doesn’t happen anywhere in life. For a “professional” organisation it’s shocking tbh.

I'm hearing you
I was President of our Junior footy club last 5 years running .
AFL didn't do a thing to help
Ask the WAFC how much help they get from the AFL - SFA!!!

Robbing the common man of free to air footy is Un - Australian !

Gotta Love Footy
Such an emotional Roller Coaster
Good Footy Players want to play good footy against worthy opponents
Big dollar contracts don't necessarily make better players - 15 to 30 years ago they had day jobs FFS and look at the quality that was produced ( Carey, Peter Marra , Michael Voss ) So many

You guys must be in the very, very small minority because the game still brings in the big bucks and is supported extremely well. Gil would be patting himself on the back daily about the job he’s doing and the shape of the game.

Memberships
Foxtel
FTA viewership
Club merch
Game attendances
Tipping comps
Fantasy leagues
Newspaper purchases and subscriptions
Radio ratings
Website subscriptions and click activity

How much do you support the AFL? How much time and money have you contributed to the above over the last 2 years. If it’s anything, you’re greasing the AFL wheel and can’t really complain about their management of the great game.

Last edited:
Think this is pretty valid and pretty balanced assessment from a opposition supporter. I did notice the previous frees weren’t paid down the ground as well so was confused. Honestly, we were holding on from about 10min mark of the 2nd quarter, while dubious free kicks in the last 20 seconds there were plenty of opportunities for either side to have settled it much earlier.

What I noticed in the 3rd when you guys had clear dominance is we were still sending Brayshaw/ Serong/ Cerra into the middle Sometimes with Mundy as the old head giving advice, when Mundy/Fyfe/ Walters would have been the obvious choice. While Cripps and Curnow were both repeatedly in there. When it still continued later in the 4th quarter, thought they were doing it on purpose for development. I have no doubt that Fyfe spent more time forward than normal. 1st quarter he was there and dominated.

in my opinion, Curnow dominated but him and Cripps took the majority of time through the middle. Blues were keen to win this game, where Freo were keen to expose the young guys with the experience. FWIW I feel like guys like Dow, Walsh and SPS would develop quicker if they were played through the middle more often. (or played at all in the case of Dow).

this is my outside observation only maybe on centre bounce Attendances (?) would be great if there were some stats guys out there to prove it wrong or right.

Yeah I think so...against Hawthorn Serong attended the most CB by some margin.

I think we also need to acknowledge that Fyfe is 28/29 now.
If we want him still playing at Mundy's age we need to support him.
He's had about double the serious injuries Mundy has had in his career. Dave I think has had the broken leg last year and the syndesmosis that I can remember, whereas Fyfe is eligible for the Gold card life membership in the Surgeons Hall of Fame.
Anothe reason why we should have Valente in this week,

Serong can have a break and we rotate the other mids out after...Valente needs to be fast tracked.

He's dual sided like Sam Mitchell...start the apprenticeship now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slobbo and the Pencil neck agree that the Brayshaw down field free shouldn't have been paid, the free was taken 10 metres closer than it should have and that the wrong player took the kick.

When pencil neck thinks we are hard done by we must have been robbed.
Is that you SA?

there has been a change over the years...........in the 80s AFL's product was a "game", where now it is "entertainment". As such I wonder if "entertainment" includes creating sensationalism, as we see with reality tv programs?

I also question about rule changes. How can the ruck rule change occur so quickly, such as the "primus rule", yet the "duckwood" rule not be implemented until the near end of his career?

Sadly I feel the AFL rule the game with an agenda in mind

If you want to get your blood boiling rewatch the last 30 second a few times.

I actually think tabs is hard done by with many saying it was a fair deliberate call, ball was almost out and bouncing high in the air when he reaches out with one hand, he barely touched it, certainly didn't slap it or paddle it over, no way he could have grabbed it even if he tried.

Far worse efforts to keep the ball in were not paid throughout the game including players kicking down the line for territory.

I actually think tabs is hard done by with many saying it was a fair deliberate call, ball was almost out and bouncing high in the air when he reaches out with one hand, he barely touched it, certainly didn't slap it or paddle it over, no way he could have grabbed it even if he tried.

Far worse efforts to keep the ball in were not paid throughout the game including players kicking down the line for territory.
Yeah I agree. I think he was genuinely trying to paddle it forward so he could run on to it and he ran out of room. He's done that in quite a few games this year.

Like others, I don't have a problem with a single umpiring error in isolation but when you get many in a row the AFL needed to come out and say "we screwed up". But as per usual they try and sweep it under the rug.

Not only that but you also see Docherty extend his arms out to shepherd it over the line, when he could have potentially kept it in and also making it almost impossible for Tabs to get a direct line at the ball to keep it in. Of course it doesn't do the pantomime that the umpires seem to want for looks sakes, but if that hasn't been paid all game (because of the wet conditions), you might be less inclined to go through that palava.

Not only that but you also see Docherty extend his arms out to shepherd it over the line, when he could have potentially kept it in and also making it almost impossible for Tabs to get a direct line at the ball to keep it in. Of course it doesn't do the pantomime that the umpires seem to want for looks sakes, but if that hasn't been paid all game (because of the wet conditions), you might be less inclined to go through that palava.

That's actually a good point if the ball is sheparded out by another player , how on earth can it be the final responsibility of the last player that touched it?

Last edited:
that aspect of the deliberate rule is s**t, iirc d.pearce got a deliberate decision his way when he just left a kick that was basically straight at him from an opposition player which is an underrated s**t element of the rule

that aspect of the deliberate rule is sh*t, iirc d.pearce got a deliberate decision his way when he just left a kick that was basically straight at him from an opposition player which is an underrated sh*t element of the rule
It was one of the early talking points/what if's when they announced their changing it from deliberate to not making enough effort (or some such), i.e. would it encourage players to allow the ball to roll over rather than keep it in themselves if they weren't the last to touch it. Betcha if the old interpretation was in place Docherty would've made every effort to keep the ball in and most likely could've.

I guess you just have to be grateful this BS happened in an irrelevant year between 2 sides irrelevant to the finals? Unfortunately because the AFL will never admit to making a mistake there's nothing stopping this happening again in a year where it actually matters.

Our next 2 are at home against mediocre opposition. If we had the 4 points from the Carlton game we could be heading to Cairns inside the 8.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back