Autopsy Fremantle lose to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

And let's not forget the 2nd goal gift to Buddy;

Appalling decision that
Though the one that I think killed us the most was the gift free to Roughhead in the third quarter by Nicholls just after we had got it back to a three point deficit. Such a crucial momentum changing decision. I swear Dawson barely touched him.

And let's not forget the 2nd goal gift to Buddy;
Those are the sorts of decisions I hate the most. He had made his mind he was going to give a 50 if he crept even an inch forward before the kick was taken, he was sweating on it. No techincally a wrong decision (although hardly a right either: Buddy had run so far round he was almost in Brunton bloody Avenue!), but just using an excuse to make the decision he wanted.

Exactly the same reason the downfield was paid.

If you want to get your blood boiling rewatch the last 30 second a few times.

I actually think tabs is hard done by with many saying it was a fair deliberate call, ball was almost out and bouncing high in the air when he reaches out with one hand, he barely touched it, certainly didn't slap it or paddle it over, no way he could have grabbed it even if he tried.

Far worse efforts to keep the ball in were not paid throughout the game including players kicking down the line for territory.
You can guarantee that if one of the two Carlton players running next to Tabs had got worried Tabs was going to take possesion and had tapped it out (not knowing how much time was left) it would not have been paid. It was just a way to grant Carlton another chance.

Slobbo and the Pencil neck agree that the Brayshaw down field free shouldn't have been paid, the free was taken 10 metres closer than it should have and that the wrong player took the kick.

When pencil neck thinks we are hard done by we must have been robbed.

yeah listened to Whateley this morning. He smashed the umpiring and sits how most of us do.

deliberate was correct
Brayshaw free wasn’t there
Wrong spot identified for the mark
Wrong player took the kick.

He also mentioned if the jumpers were reversed Carlton would be going mental.

yeah listened to Whateley this morning. He smashed the umpiring and sits how most of us do.

deliberate was correct

It's here for those interested.

deliberate was correct

I can't watch it anymore, the amount of failures and inconsistencies in that game sicken me.
That's what everyone is going nuts over , if you are gonna pay stuff pay it all day not in the last 10 seconds of a tight crucial game . This is the discussion the AFL should be having with the umpires .
Dreaming 😴

Taberner was trying to paddle it into space so he could run on .
What other options did he have other than grabbing it and get taken over the line . 50/50 call at best

I can't watch it anymore, the amount of failures and inconsistencies in that game sicken me.
That's what everyone is going nuts over , if you are gonna pay stuff pay it all day not in the last 10 seconds of a tight crucial game . This is the discussion the AFL should be having with the umpires .
Dreaming 😴

Taberner was trying to paddle it into space so he could run on .
What other options did he have other than grabbing it and get taken over the line . 50/50 call at best

You've given one other option. Another was to paddle it down the line so he actually could run on to it. Another was take possession and dispose of it before being tackled. He had options. The free was there. I do agree that they need to be more consistent though.

You've given one other option. Another was to paddle it down the line so he actually could run on to it. Another was take possession and dispose of it before being tackled. He had options. The free was there. I do agree that they need to be more consistent though.

In isolation fair enough. But in the context of the match and then also the subsequent trend of decision making, it paints a certain picture.

deliberate was correct

I don't think anyone would disagree with that. They still go on about the Crows v Fitzroy game nearly 30 years ago.

I had and have no issue with the deliberate call against Tabs, it was IMO 100% the right call. The rest of it...they couldn't have got it more wrong if they tried.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had and have no issue with the deliberate call against Tabs, it was IMO 100% the right call. The rest of it...they couldn't have got it more wrong if they tried.

The problem people have is not with the deliberate itself. I don't think anyone will deny that it was probably the right call. The problem everyone has is that it was the first deliberate called all night when there were multiple throughout the game that were as/if not deliberate than Tabs. They just chose that moment to finally pay one.

The problem people have is not with the deliberate itself. I don't think anyone will deny that it was probably the right call. The problem everyone has is that it was the first deliberate called all night when there were multiple throughout the game that were as/if not deliberate than Tabs. They just chose that moment to finally pay one.

I can't personally remember any as blatant as Tabs one but I'm sure there were some in a wet game. His was just too obvious though, poorly disguised.

I can't personally remember any as blatant as Tabs one but I'm sure there were some in a wet game. His was just too obvious though, poorly disguised.

Conca punching the ball straight out comes to mind.

It's here for those interested.
Every single point Whateley made was unbiased, and simply based on fact. There is no agenda here - the only aim is for this game to be adjudicated correctly!

Every single point Whateley made was unbiased, and simply based on fact. There is no agenda here - the only aim is for this game to be adjudicated correctly!

It's apparent that Whateley's issue with Freo was with Rosich and Lyon. He (and Robbo) have been nothing but positive about Freo and especially JLo all season. Robbo in particular has a massive man crush on Fyfe and both of them have referred back to Serong on multiple times since they interviewed him after his rising star nom.

Even Caro Wilson on the Age podcast yesterday was sticking up for Freo and talking in glowing terms about JLo and the class of his presser.

Not forgetting Barrett is on the record on multiple occasions stating that Sonny is his favourite player in the game.

In isolation fair enough. But in the context of the match and then also the subsequent trend of decision making, it paints a certain picture.
There used to be a thing umpires had which was to umpire to the spirit of the law as the law book cannot cover every single scenario, i.e. in 50/50 contests you always rewarded the player who's objective was to get the ball and not as they do now reward the 2 or 3 people that sweat on the person that gets the ball and then pile onto his back to get the free for holding the ball. The law book does say that the game is to be played in a fair manner, when you haven't blown one deliberate out of bounds call all match its not really fair to blow one in the last 15 seconds that had some doubt there.

ALso interesting now that tummy taps like Lynch has just handed out as a repeat offender are still only fined yet didn't players like Ballas get 1-2 weeks when they did it.

Wet night, end of a hard slog of a game for him, contesting the ball, never had it under any sense of decent control, goes on an angle, Docherty sweats off and shepherds the ball over. He could have done a bit more to make the decision harder for the umpire to call it, but I think what you've said there is over-selling it by a mile.

And this is exactly why AFL Umpiring will never improve.

For years the AFL has not only ignored the deplorable standard of umpiring league wide but made the game even harder to umpire. Instead of recognising clear mistakes every single mistake is justified like there’s nothing wrong. How does anyone in life learn from not recognising mistakes? It just doesn’t happen anywhere in life. For a “professional” organisation it’s shocking tbh.

I mean seriously my FB feed was full of footy fans saying we were robbed - half the people posting were bloody eagles fans who normally wouldn’t miss the chance to hang sh*t on us.

It’s getting to the point where myself and many people are switching off their TVs. I 3-4 years ago watched every game I was at home to see. Now if Freo isn’t playing I don’t turn the TV on even if I’ve got nothing else to do. If there was a way of supporting my club and not giving the AFL a single cent I’d do it in an absolute heartbeat.

The substandard nature of Umpiring, Media Coverage and the Garbage Organisation that are the AFL themselves have made a guy who used to love the game almost wish it didn’t exist.

I love this club though - I’m a Freo guy and always will be. It’s just very very hard to support footy at all atm.
Great post - agree with every word about the AFL in particular.

For years the AFL has not only ignored the deplorable standard of umpiring league wide but made the game even harder to umpire.

Not quite right. The coaches have instilled strategies and techniques that have made umpiring more difficult and generally detracted from the game as a whole.
Umpires put in a lot of hard work and follow the directions given to them.

And this is exactly why AFL Umpiring will never improve.

For the umpiring to improve it would require:
1. Neutral umpires to stop the wholesale shafting of interstate clubs.
2. The umpiring fraternity has to concentrate on consistency and not week-to-week tweaks as they have been doing.
3. The laws of the game have to move to a qualitative basis away from interpretative type laws.
Prior opportunity should be a "one Mississippi", "immediate disposal" meaning immediate disposal. Deliberate kick replaced a kick back in. Make a goal a football going between the two big posts.
4. Any law changes to be made by people with an analytical insight to the ramifications of law changes.
5. The laws of AFL being divorced from Australian Football in general.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back