Autopsy Fremantle lose to Dees by 54pts

Remove this Banner Ad

Garbage game by us. Alex Pearce was very slow tonight. Either carrying an injury or just not quick enough. Gunna be a painful last part of the year unfortunately.

Looking at our remaining games...
Port (H)
Essendon (A)
Hawks (H)
Eagles (A)
Carlton (h)
Cats (A)
Collingwood (H)

Take away the Home Game Vs Carlton, Yeah Going to be Brutal. We should be Carlton at home. I think we will get an expected win before we take on Carlton again. I don't know who. Possibly Essendon. Maybe the derby. We should lose to Port on current form. Then Again, we somehow beat them in 2016.

Real bad but at least we didn’t have he likes of Ballas, Johnson or DPearce running around. Kids are going to leave the hard way.

You know it’s an exceptionally poor performance when Sheridan gets best on ground.
Yep. There was no 31 year old Ballas, No 32 year old Danyle Pearce, No 33 year old Johnson, No 35 year old Sandilands.

Only1 30 year od played and that was mundy.

It wasn't great, but I'm not sure what anyone was expecting? Melbourne are really threatening this year, despite losing a couple they shouldn't have, and were angry. It was the perfect game for them to steamroll a team. I thought there was a lot more effort this game, unlike the Brisbane game (though I only lasted the first half). A bunch of crappy crappy skill errors and just outclassed and outmuscled by a contending team.
As it Stands, Tonights game showed where both teams are at. Demons are a top 8 team. Freo are a bottom 6 side at the moment.

Saying that, there is no Fyfe, Blakely, Sandilands, Logue and Tabs. So yeah we are missing a few blokes in our 22. Only Positives tonight Was Sheridan, Walters and the 1st year blokes.

Scoreline flattered us obviously. Fitness was a massive factor, we looked cooked.

Cox the only tall that looked threatening and his fitness is still a fair way off peak. Apeness and Darcy fitness levels even worse. Just need to keep on keeping on with them. Hope a for a injury free run into preseason next year.

No Fyfe and Blakely robbed us of two of our biggest bodies. We were man handled and It started with Gawn doing pretty much as he pleased.

AP and Ryan not having the same influence they were at the start of the season.

Hamling played well I thought, same with Wilson. Great to see S HIll have a good game. Keep him in the midfield from now on. Walters played well. The Langdon/BHill combo didn't really work out.

Cerra and Brayshaw showed some great promise.

Tucker, Giro, Matera...... geez.
Haven't had the luxury of building Cox's fitness base. But he's kicking goals, and getting involved. More experience each game.
Also major plus is Apeness is getting games in him as well as confidence against much respected ruckmen. Excited for the future with him and Darcy. Every game is a positive, building that fitness base and mentality for AFL. Wait til Tabs come in and play his preferred role as CHF

Haven't had the luxury of building Cox's fitness base. But he's kicking goals, and getting involved. More experience each game.
Also major plus is Apeness is getting games in him as well as confidence against much respected ruckmen. Excited for the future with him and Darcy. Every game is a positive, building that fitness base and mentality for AFL. Wait til Tabs come in and play his preferred role as CHF
I’m excited for that

In 2015 we did this to the Demons during their rebuild. We absolutely spanked them for years while they slowly built into the team they are today.

Now it's their turn to spank us while we plant the seeds. In the coming seasons we will see the fruits blossom into a powerhouse AFL team once more. We will then harvest the AFL burning through it like a phoenix rising from the ashes. We will have vengeance!!

*That's what I tell myself while rocking in the fetal position asking my missus why the pain won't stop*

Hill making a stand in his 200th game was great to see as was the likes of Cera and Brayshaw make decent contributions.

I was looking forward to this game because it appeared that it was going to provide a fairly good insight into where we are in terms of the 8, and it did, we're still some way off.

I have to constantly remind myself not to hate too much on Matera, it's getting harder though, there is something about his approach to the game that is frustrating.

Hill making a stand in his 200th game was great to see as was the likes of Cera and Brayshaw make decent contributions.

I was looking forward to this game because it appeared that it was going to provide a fairly good insight into where we are in terms of the 8, and it did, we're still some way off.

I have to constantly remind myself not to hate too much on Matera, it's getting harder though, there is something about his approach to the game that is frustrating.

It wasn’t a game for half forwards to shine in. Tucker and Matera are gettting belted as a result. It all starts from the middle though and that’s where our focus should really be. Neale did not deliver, Mundy/ Shill/ AB were really only honest tryers and Gawn dominated.

Without Fyfe, Blakely and Sandi for a lot of the remaining games were unfortunately going to be rearranging the deck chairs.

I still believe that when everyone’s back, with more fitness/conditioning, we’ve got a side capable of being top 8 next year.

Neale has become a real defensive liability in the middle. If he doesn’t get first possession he isn’t helping us get the ball back.

It should be easy to chase down a player while they the ball in hand and are looking for an option, thinking abouting bouncing, but our midfield can’t catch the opposition. As soon as they get one clean possession you know they are going to sweep it away while running in waves. Our spare in defense is going to have to run at the player and have the ball popped over his head. Rinse repeat, so frustrating to watch.

Looking at our remaining games...
Port (H)
Essendon (A)
Hawks (H)
Eagles (A)
Carlton (h)
Cats (A)
Collingwood (H)

Take away the Home Game Vs Carlton, Yeah Going to be Brutal. We should be Carlton at home. I think we will get an expected win before we take on Carlton again. I don't know who. Possibly Essendon. Maybe the derby. We should lose to Port on current form. Then Again, we somehow beat them in 2016.

Yep. There was no 31 year old Ballas, No 32 year old Danyle Pearce, No 33 year old Johnson, No 35 year old Sandilands.

Only1 30 year od played and that was mundy.

Yep, the season is following the same path as last year.
Start with all the old blokes, realise it doesn’t work, play the kids, instance improvement, build solid progress with a run of impressive wins leading into the bye, come back from the bye flat as a tack getting flogged by Brisbane, lose a number of important players to injury and limp through the second half of the season with big losses and poor performances.
We’re not going anywhere.
Take Richmond and Collingwoods lead and make some meaningful changes to our footy dept over the off season!
We’ve been under achievers for 5 seasons now but are happy as a club to stick with the same personnel but are expecting different or better results. Insane!

It wasn't a pretty game. As Freo84 said we used to do this to other teams just a few years ago. We will be back. The young ones will learn plenty from these beatings. If they don't then they won't make it any team. It is also an opportunity for those on the fringe to put their hand up for selection. Good goals Rixx and Coxy. Giro can only get better from here. Also, before we write off Hughes, he should get a couple more games on the trot.

We were very flattered by the final scoreline , Looked like a 20 goal drubbing on general play , Dare i say worse than last week .Our last two weeks have been hard to take .I am not enjoying watching this crap , Will be a non starter at Optus next week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives
- Still yet to have a 100+ point belting like last year, even with Sandi & Fyfe out.
- Brayshaw is fast becoming my favourite player, love the aggression he showed in the tackling he does. Is only going to get better.
- Cerra just oozes class. Oh my lord. While he only touches it a few times, when he does you know it.
- Mundy continues to show great leadership, I hope he can go on for 2 more years.
- Brennan Cox is an out and out gun. Hard to believe he was a mid 30s pick and only 19.
- Apeness looks like he wants to hurt people everytime he is near it. Can be the Forward / Ruck we need.
- Sheridan has been good, seems popular around the group. Worth a 2 year deal IMO as depth player while our kids come through.
- Stephen Hill being the jet he is again.
- BHilly back in, limited impact but he is the cream, not the match winner.

Negatives
- Slaughtered in the clearances, dominated in the ruck, no spread from congestion..... out played by a much better team.
- Giro had a stinker, disposal was rushed, hacked and panicked. Would give him another week, back him in.
- Banfield seems a bit lost at times, I'm not his biggest fan.
- Matera, stop being s**t please. I thought you were pretty good early on but some of your decision making has been horrible.
- Walters leading with the head..... Stop it.
- Umpiring in this league. Inconsistent and plain s**t.
- No one at Peel pushing through, cupboard is bare.

I still see us moving in the right direction. We are a young team, we will be inconsistent. I said at the start of the year I saw us finishing around 12th and reducing the 100+ point thrashings. Things are tracking about as I expected.

A Pearce is finding it tough . Coming back after a long injury lay off hits really hard at the back end of the season. I cant think of one player in Pearces situation that hasnt struggled. Nic Nat is in trouble now and even the Godlike Fyfe struggled after his injury break. Pearce will be the gun KB of the comp after another pre season.

I don't think a game against a Top 8 side where we didn't have Fyfe / Blakely in the middle, had 2 players returning to AFL from lengthy injuries and a bunch of kids playing their first game in Darwin in tough conditions is worth complaining about, let alone is worth derailing the rest of the season over.

We’re a 4 excuses football team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Pearce is finding it tough . Coming back after a long injury lay off hits really hard at the back end of the season. I cant think of one player in Pearces situation that hasnt struggled. Nic Nat is in trouble now and even the Godlike Fyfe struggled after his injury break. Pearce will be the gun KB of the comp after another pre season.
Its why we should of retained Collins for another year, for all the Collins bashing, can't kick. Pearce also worries me with
his disposal, and the HB's have to help him out or give an option.

Only got to watch the last qtr but I think last night showed what happens when you come up against a team with some of the best contested ball winners in the comp without your own best two in Blakely and Fyfe. Had no size at the contest bar Mundy. At least for the Adelaide game we had Blakely to somewhat fill Fyfes shoes.

We still would have lost but I can guarantee it would have made a massive difference being able to actually win contested ball.

The next few weeks are going to be difficult to watch id imagine.

Cox will be a star

Last edited:
Only got to watch the last qtr but I think last night showed what happens when you come up against a team with some of the best contested ball winners in the comp without your own best two in Blakely and Fyfe. Had no size at the contest bar Mundy. At least for the Adelaide game we had Blakely to somewhat fill Fyfes shoes.

We still would have lost but I can guarantee it would have made a massive difference being able to actually win contested ball.

The next few weeks are going to be difficult to watch id imagine.

Cox will be a star
Eagles have used Yeo as an inside mid, we need to find more players that can run through the middle. Hughes maybe
the one, Logue would've been my bet if fit.
But Ross needs players to stand up in the heat of battle, Grey is another you know will give his all.

I understand why we do it but can we please stop blaming injuries for everything... Everyone gets em. We're getting them now and we'll get them when we are contending. Fyfe I get and Blakely and Tabs are handy players but are we really pining for Sandi (who'll in all likelihood retire next year), and Logue (who hasn't done a thing yet). And that's it...

Ross has to earn his money in a rebuild somehow. Little sick of us running out there, trying pretty much nothing new and then coming up with excuses after the game for why we lost (lack of hardness around the ball, lack of proper preparation around the bye etc) that were pretty obviously pressure points before the game started.

It doesn't do anything for us and makes it seem to me like the club are just in the mindset of counting out the games until the off-season where they are hopeful to get a reset.

I understand why we do it but can we please stop blaming injuries for everything... Everyone gets em. We're getting them now and we'll get them when we are contending. Fyfe I get and Blakely and Tabs are handy players but are we really pining for Sandi (who'll in all likelihood retire next year), and Logue (who hasn't done a thing yet). And that's it...

Ross has to earn his money in a rebuild somehow. Little sick of us running out there, trying pretty much nothing new and then coming up with excuses after the game for why we lost (lack of hardness around the ball, lack of proper preparation around the bye etc) that were pretty obviously pressure points before the game started.

It doesn't do anything for us and makes it seem to me like the club are just in the mindset of counting out the games until the off-season where they are hopeful to get a reset.

Trying to teach 12 blokes under 50 games how to play AFL isn't something new?

All I can hope is that these losses make the powers at be realize how much we need to lock in some more talent. We need to go hard at free agency time.

Neale has become a real defensive liability in the middle. If he doesn’t get first possession he isn’t helping us get the ball back.

It should be easy to chase down a player while they the ball in hand and are looking for an option, thinking abouting bouncing, but our midfield can’t catch the opposition. As soon as they get one clean possession you know they are going to sweep it away while running in waves. Our spare in defense is going to have to run at the player and have the ball popped over his head. Rinse repeat, so frustrating to watch.

He has been since day dot but it was ok when we had proper defensive mids and wingers like Deboer, Crowley, Barlow, Mzungu. Hes got to change his game as a stop gap measure until Brayshaw and Banfield really start affecting games in the middle defensively. I think hes strong enough and maybe fast enough to play a run with role and let the Hills, Cerras, walters and Brayshaws become that first receiver.

All I can hope is that these losses make the powers at be realize how much we need to lock in some more talent. We need to go hard at free agency time.

No we dont we need to keep bottoming out unfortunately and scout hard in lower leagues to pick up handy gems. We dont have assets that anyone will want for trading at the moment and we arent a destination club for the majority of free agents.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back