Fremantle Oval (News: $21 mil South of the River Centre of Excellence)

Remove this Banner Ad

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
8dc4ed76c689ea403bdcb660bdc8c682

36c5bf6837e6c5b4aea07562f19853a9

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...e/news-story/617fdf44a1ec6b501e7bc4b6fe12740d

This came out a few days ago, but with East Fremantle moving in with Souths, Fremantle Oval will undergo a pretty big redevelopment. It's due to be ready for 2021.

I think most regular visitors know how annoying the alignment of the ground is. I really love the place, it's awesome having such a historic ground right in the middle of town, and Freo training there is/was a real buzz, but ultimately it wasn't that great for watching footy. Basically, the great, classic old grandstand that sits in the pocket is about 30 metres away from the actual boundary.

Under the new plans, the Victoria Pavilion will be right up against the boundary.

It seems like the current Bulldogs clubrooms and the Freo training facility will be knocked down and replaced by a gym et al.

Seems a pretty good idea and should be a good little area for Freo footy. It'd be good if the Dockers maintain a link to the ground, play a few pre-season matches and family days there, unlike the lessening links we see Collingwood and Essendon have to Vic Park and Windy Hill. Unfortunately with the Steves in charge I see us ditching Freo Oval completely.

All that's needed now is a clear plan for Subi, Leederville not looking like a half-rotting half-nothing ground and getting some purpose, and East Fremantle Oval becoming a community facility (a mix between the Princes Park outdoor gym and running tracks, in coupling with the Vic Park facelift would be stellar; perfect for the place) and we'll be set for football in Perth.

Think your self fortunate that freo doesn't have an evil bowls club to contend with:mad::(

That wasn't the full reason we left. The club was never going to spend millions of dollars acquiring and bulldozing a street or two of houses to fit a second oval. Plus we probably got a bullshit discount at Melbourne Airport.

That wasn't the full reason we left. The club was never going to spend millions of dollars acquiring and bulldozing a street or two of houses to fit a second oval. Plus we probably got a bullshit discount at Melbourne Airport.
True, was the second oval always in the original plan?
As a bit of a traditionalist its was sad to see the club leave a place where it had been for so many decades. It would of been great for windy hill to have received a face lift & possibly host practice or nab cup games there. Just hope the place doesn't go the fate or morabbin or Vic park. The new facility's is said to be the current benchmark of all the club, it will be interesting to see what then final product of the dockers facility will be

Cant understand the AFL chipping in to fund a second oval, just escalating costs & creating another set of haves & havenots.

I hope Freo don't turn their back on their roots at Fremantle Oval - I remember the place with a bitumen bike track around it.

For those who don't know Freo:
https://www.google.com.au/maps/plac...!1s0x2a32a17b8253e1f5:0xf04f0b618f18e60?hl=en

& the statue of Gero
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...=GwkjV_iRJ4GomgW8lK2IBw#imgrc=7qJYP3Vd4gEgwM:

Last edited:
Fremantle has never played a game in Fremantle. Though South and East dinosaurs would like people to think otherwise.

Must get down to East Fremantle for a game before it closes, if memory serves me right East Freo played at Freo Oval before South Freo did in either the early 1900's or late 1890's.

Fremantle oval is a beautiful ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Dockers cashing in their assets :thumbsu: at Freo Oval courtesy of the Council (the ratepayers):

An agreement would pave the way to kickstart the proposed $20 million redevelopment of Fremantle Oval, which has been on hold for almost 12 months.

The transformation of the boutique sporting ground would involve shifting the oval up against the heritage-listed Victoria Pavilion, and South Fremantle and East Fremantle would become co-tenants.

“Council has authorised city officers to finalise negotiations with the Fremantle Football Club ... with a view to reaching a formal agreement in the coming weeks,” a council spokesman said in a statement.

“Securing the head lease back into community hands will pave the way for redeveloping the precinct into a premier community and sporting hub.”

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/dockers-set-to-take-the-cash-hand-fremantle-oval-back-ng-b88378050z

About time the playing arena at Fremantle Oval was moved closer to the grandstand & clubhouse, they are finally getting rid of that god awful car park at long last!

Think its crazy how far the grandstand is from the playing surface, i thought at one time there must have been a cycling track or trots track in between because the distance never made any sense to me.

HFcOBDZ.jpg

Must be 30 metres from the playing surface.

KH75tLh.jpg

A bitumen bike track was removed in the mid 60s when most WANFL home grounds got rid of cricket pitches.

Talking about cricket pitches, have darn good memories of the cricket pitch at Perth Oval.

Great pace to slide around in the depths of winter, ................ mmmm my mum didn't appreciate trying to wash white shorts with compacted mud stains!!!.

When actually was the pitch extracted, was there in mid / late 70's ?.

Talking about cricket pitches, have darn good memories of the cricket pitch at Perth Oval.

Great pace to slide around in the depths of winter, ................ mmmm my mum didn't appreciate trying to wash white shorts with compacted mud stains!!!.

When actually was the pitch extracted, was there in mid / late 70's ?.

Subi was the mid 60s I think (born a Subi supporter & remain that way, thanks Dad) ... 1965-66 was Subi Cricket Clubs first season away from Subi Oval (went down to Shenton Park) & most of the Ovals were done about the same time?
I was last buried in the turf at Perth Oval in the early 70s and came off smelling like a swamp & very dirty but don't think there was a cricket pitch, but that's a bloody long time ago.
Any idea which cricket club played at Perth Oval, as I confirmed when cricket left Subi thru Subiaco Floreat Cricket Club (http://www.sfcc.asn.au/About-History.aspx?rw=c

Remove this Banner Ad

Back