Fremantle Oval (News: $21 mil South of the River Centre of Excellence)

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo have played a lot of pre-season games at Freo Oval, though not as many as they should have.

Freo's first ever match, a scratchie in the Ansett Cup was versus Essendon (?) at EFO.

They've played preseason games at East Fremantle Oval and I swear they've played West Coast at a pre season match at Fremantle Oval.

There's been at least 2 practice match derbies at Fremantle Oval. One was Modra's first ever match for Freo. They had to end it early because it was too dark and the council didn't approve the lights going on.

I'm not joking either.

And whilst i'm in the mood to be pedantic, Freo's first official match was actually a game against an NT rep side in Darwin played in torrential rain.

I vaguely remember a scratch match or NAB Cup game at Fremantle Oval vs Geelong as well, got a feeling Clive Waterhouse did his knee in that game too?

I do remember going to game against Geelong there ages ago, I can't remember Clive doing his knee though.
2002 pre season game Rob Clive missed that entire season because of it. He broke a collarbone in a pre season game the year before also at Fremantle OVal as well, fair to say Fremantle Oval wasnt a happy hunting ground fro Clive!

Know when they moved from Perth Oval?

In the early 70's the cricket pitch was still in place at Perth Oval, but for the life of me, I can't ever remember anyone playing cricket there in those summer months.

After checking, it appears that North Perth left in 1975.

Shows how much interest I had in the "worlds cure for insomniacs", cricket, in the early 70's !!!!.

Last edited:
Back on topic (given this is the stadiums board) - I wonder whether the AFLW team, along with East Fremantle potentially shifting home games there might be the catalyst for some investment in spectator facilities? Even if it's just a covered seated area on the outer wing with some decent amenities. There's going to be enough space out there if the ground is getting shifted towards the other side.

I vaguely remember a scratch match or NAB Cup game at Fremantle Oval vs Geelong as well, got a feeling Clive Waterhouse did his knee in that game too?

That is true; It was a pre-season game in 1998.
We have also played wc there and the most recent game was against Melbourne two years ago. Hayden Crozier starred from memory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back on topic (given this is the stadiums board) - I wonder whether the AFLW team, along with East Fremantle potentially shifting home games there might be the catalyst for some investment in spectator facilities? Even if it's just a covered seated area on the outer wing with some decent amenities. There's going to be enough space out there if the ground is getting shifted towards the other side.
That's a good point. AFLW sides may give many historical grounds associated with footy clubs a new lease on life. That can only be a good thing.

From watching the AFLW matches at Freo Oval, and how much everyone bunches up under the tin shed and the tree behind the goals to the north of the oval, and then seeing just barren concrete terraces for the entire outer wing, suggests Freo Oval desperately needs more shade for these summer matches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back