Opinion Fremantle should be the first club to appoint an aboriginal head coach

Remove this Banner Ad

No.

The coach is the most important appointment the footy club can make. Needs to be the best person for the job, and somebody with some experience and good reputation as a current assistant coach. We should absolutely not be hiring someone who has been outside of the system for more than a decade. We need someone currently in the system and up to date with the latest rules and tactics.

IMO it should always be best available

I do like Jonno having a role at Freo if he wants to work with the club but not sure exactly where he would fit in.

If Ross finishes up in the next two years which I believe he will then Freo should be targeting Longmuir or Caracella.

Clarkson I believe is also gettable once he finishes his contract the following season. I have previously told some posters it was possible at the end of this season but I got my wires crossed.

Yeah but it's always the ' best candidate ' out of these certain select bunch of candidates. The talking heads are always saying it's a game of follow the leader and it's no great surprise because the only way to get a top job is to follow the train tracks , I can't even remember too many indigenous guys getting talked about as potential coaches. I'm not saying it racist or anything but it's just very systematic type of thinking

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Poor use of the term 'systematic' here mate. The best candidate 'of a certain select bunch of candidates' usually comes from assistant coaches. A better question might be 'why are there, not more Indigenous assistants?' as that is where the candidates come from. So you wouldn't have heard of many talked up as potential senior coaches as we hire from the assistant level.

I have been in conversations trying to help and encourage three different indigenous former players into coaching. One was not at all interested. The other two said they were fully committed but then refused to get the qualifications required even though our group was willing to sponsor them. There were all former AFL players.

In all things, it is best to simply get the best for the job. The pathway is more open and clear than it has ever been imo. Volunteer, do the work, get the qualifications and if you are getting results there will be opportunities. I love coaching and have been asked to do it many times (footy and Basketball) but I am not willing to make the time or financial sacrifice required. Does this mean there is a 'systematic' bias or discrimination against me? I would bloody hope there is a bias against me as I am not willing to do the work or make the sacrifice required. If there is an issue with the system at the moment it is that people who haven't played get very little look in. Small minded thinking that makes the talent pool incredibly shallow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back