Spirit Level

Campaigner
Mar 26, 2012
Block 123
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
Would a guernsey with the top just like the home jumper but with a gradient into white before the shorts?

Having trouble conceptualising it

stax on the mull

Premiership Player
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
I agree that the sponsors logos just ruin effect of the chevron design. With an anchor jumper the logos could sit either side of the shank. Maybe they could lower the placement of the chevrons. White shorts/purple jumper not an issue, and maybe the use of the two colours in the socks would work to compliment that.

Last edited:

Joose

All Australian
Jul 23, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah I like the purple top with white shorts away combo.

Just like the good old days when you wore black shorts at home and white shorts away. While we are at it, lets also go back to goal umpires being fat old men in panama hats and white trenchcoats. I could get a job then.

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Look at these home uniforms and consider that most teams make the back a dark colour:

There are really only two clubs (GC, Sydney) where the dark purple gives a great contrast, and in those cases it should be with purple shorts ... and that is what we have worn in 2019 and 2018 away games against those clubs (the above website tracks every single game uniform).

Sure, there are other matchups where it won't be a horrible clash (e.g clubs like North, WC and Dogs with their royal blue), but most of the teams have a dark-ish base to their home kit, and I'd rather watch the game with us in the all-white. Makes for a much better contrast and viewing spectacle.

Maybe Hawthorn is one matchup where the purple/white makes sense. This feels like a decision that is 8 years too late after regretting not doing it in the grand final, and seems fairly pointless to me for every other matchup (considering we already wear all purple in away games against GC and Sydney).

stax on the mull

Premiership Player
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Look at these home uniforms and consider that most teams make the back a dark colour:

There are really only two clubs (GC, Sydney) where the dark purple gives a great contrast, and in those cases it should be with purple shorts ... and that is what we have worn in 2019 and 2018 away games against those clubs (the above website tracks every single game uniform).

Sure, there are other matchups where it won't be a horrible clash (e.g clubs like North, WC and Dogs with their royal blue), but most of the teams have a dark-ish base to their home kit, and I'd rather watch the game with us in the all-white. Makes for a much better contrast and viewing spectacle.

Maybe Hawthorn is one matchup where the purple/white makes sense. This feels like a decision that is 8 years too late after regretting not doing it in the grand final, and seems fairly pointless to me for every other matchup (considering we already wear all purple in away games against GC and Sydney).

I've noticed that in recent seasons that there's been a few non-freo games where the AFL and/or the TV stations have made some unnecessary rulings by getting teams to wear different away jumpers when sticking to their normal jumper would have worked perfectly well - and on that basis it would seem that there would only be a few games where the purple jumper away could be used.

The Essendon red and red and the now ditched red and grey jumper are especially horrible when the only thing that would clash is the black of the sash.

I was looking up the reason why they went for these options and it seems it is because the AFL policy is to have light colours vs dark colours for every game.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cayman Docker

Senior List
Jun 6, 2015
Cayman Islands B.W.I
AFL Club
Fremantle
Looks fine.

Hoping we might wear the old Jumper again this year at some point, I can still see Lockie Shultz ingrained in my brain taking that screamer flying through the air front of goal in last years Derby, somehow it just felt very nostalgic!

Last edited:

prpl_jss

NITK
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Anyone playing the Scum, Old Easts
I rate this, just so that the boys get used to looking out for purple jumpers on instinct rather than having to context-switch every second week. Light/Dark trying to remember which it is this week could make all the difference.

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
The purple is obviously the better jumper. But what is important is the spectacle. When you are sitting at home watching round 1 on TV, what do people think will look better on TV out of the options below? Even if you can tell the teams apart, the first option has lots of dark blue/purple for both. The second is a great contrast and not even a hint of clashing.

I think it would work better with a new jumper for marketing/merchandise that was a brighter/lighter purple, sort of like the 3rd option. And the white jumper could possibly be ditched completely if they had these two shades of purple. But I prefer the current setup with the middle option, except all purple away to GC and Sydney.

1640175604574.png
1640175616610.png

1640175604574.png
1640175663887.png

1640175604574.png
1640175928650.png

Schauermann

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2011
Hamburg
AFL Club
Fremantle
Dislike.

Keep white only. White shorts with dark coluors above look stupid with all teams using it.

Or even better just play all games in the original guerney.

Then I wouldn't mind a few games with something special like for indigeniuos round or like when we used the green jumper.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
I prefer this. Consistency matters.

We have less consistency now. 3 strips instead of two.

I'm not a fan of this idea.

- It looks messy wearing a half and half kit

- If the purple jumper won't clash with the opponent why can't we wear purple shorts as well? The answer is it will clash and we're now contributing to that backwards Vic club mentality where they pretend wearing different coloured shorts magically makes your jumper contrast the opposition's

- As I mentioned above our our branding is now diluted with people seeing us in a mishmash of 3 different strips instead of two distinct ones

Taylor

Community Leader
Jul 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
We have less consistency now. 3 strips instead of two.

I'm not a fan of this idea.

- It looks messy wearing a half and half kit

- If the purple jumper won't clash with the opponent why can't we wear purple shorts as well? The answer is it will clash and we're now contributing to that backwards Vic club mentality where they pretend wearing different coloured shorts magically makes your jumper contrast the opposition's

- As I mentioned above our our branding is now diluted with people seeing us in a mishmash of 3 different strips instead of two distinct ones

I think we are looking for the purple body moving in almost all our games now rather than looking for the blur of whatever colour we are playing with that week.

It doesn't have a huge impact but it does have some.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad