Fremantle to wear purple jumper and white shorts for away games

Remove this Banner Ad

pretty sure the club stated if there was a clash we'd use the white jersey
Yeah they say that but then when its left upto the clubs it never actually happens, hence me blaming the AFL's clash policy

Look at the shitfest that happens between clubs already, we will now add to that

I don't get why people don't see white as one of our colours?

We have had a white clash strip for just as long as we have had a purple strip (White with purple anchor versus Purple Haze once a year)

Our official colours are purple and white

"Freo away" is us in a white strip accented with purple for the last 17 years, it is long enough to be tradition

I think we are looking for the purple body moving in almost all our games now rather than looking for the blur of whatever colour we are playing with that week.

It doesn't have a huge impact but it does have some.

The issue is not many matchups provide a clear contrast and we should be wearing the white against the vast majority of teams. Almost every home team has a predominantly dark colour scheme. The only clear candidates (GC and Sydney) for purple are ones we already wear all purple against. There's a few others like Dogs, Hawks ... but white is still a much better spectacle.

I have no idea what you mean by the "blur of whatever colour ..."? Plain white is a blur? The only blur which will be happening now is the hot mess created when teams with dark/white stripes play us with our dark/white shorts. Flashes of dark/white everywhere. The photos the club used with Walters v Geelong and McPharlin v North show how horrible these matchups will look.

People need to look past the "yes, purple!" mentality and think what the games will look like to viewers. We now risk being one of those teams like Richmond and Essendon who think they should play each other with their home jumpers and one wears white shorts, just because of "tradition".

personally not a fan of purple with the white shorts. But am excited by this. Wonder which one they’ll bring back this year

View attachment 1301217
This may also mean that gradient jumper or the abomination of the away jumper circadian 2002-2005ish. We should be careful what we wish for!

I think we are looking for the purple body moving in almost all our games now rather than looking for the blur of whatever colour we are playing with that week.

It doesn't have a huge impact but it does have some.

So by that logic we're really going to struggle to win now whenever we need to wear our clash strip then?

I think the more likely scenario is we're now going to see a blur of our dark/light combo blending in with the combo of our opposition instead of the clean and distinct all white standing out. When our white anchor strip was first introduced I'm sure I remember one of our players saying in an interview that the all white really stood out in gloomy Melbourne when you were looking upfield for a teammate.

I don't get why people don't see white as one of our colours?

We have had a white clash strip for just as long as we have had a purple strip (White with purple anchor versus Purple Haze once a year)

Our official colours are purple and white

"Freo away" is us in a white strip accented with purple for the last 17 years, it is long enough to be tradition

The problem is all these other clubs who don't have white as one of their colours have tried to jump on the white clash strip train.

It's diluted white to being a non-colour in some people's eyes even though, as you say, for us it's genuinely one of our two club colours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton's dark blue will be very close to our dark purpley blue regardless of who is wearing the white shorts. Maybe umps might give us a few extra positive decisions by accident next year.

I like the idea of keeping the purple where we can with the white shorts. Maybe they can add a white number box on the back similar to Port’s.

I’m also glad we’ll be seeing the white jumper when required as the long-sleeved white looks the best in the competition.

Carlton Essendon played each other for decades with the away team in white shorts. It’s fine, look forward to the two contrasts. I don’t mind the all white either. If this is our biggest gripe in 2022 then yay.

Well Carlton don't think their jumper clashes with other dark jumpers as long as they wear white shorts, so we might as well.
Then whats stopping them from wearing their navy at our home games, would clash and look terrible
Carlton Essendon played each other for decades with the away team in white shorts. It’s fine, look forward to the two contrasts. I don’t mind the all white either. If this is our biggest gripe in 2022 then yay.
This is a great example of a dumb clash due to the AFL's terrible policy

These two teams should never clash while Carlton have a white guernsey available but the AFL lets them play in their home for "tradition"

We have less consistency now. 3 strips instead of two.

I'm not a fan of this idea.

- It looks messy wearing a half and half kit

- If the purple jumper won't clash with the opponent why can't we wear purple shorts as well? The answer is it will clash and we're now contributing to that backwards Vic club mentality where they pretend wearing different coloured shorts magically makes your jumper contrast the opposition's

- As I mentioned above our our branding is now diluted with people seeing us in a mishmash of 3 different strips instead of two distinct ones
I'd argue that the most important part of our branding is the colour purple itself. Wearing the colour as often as possible feels in service of that. I'm not a fan of purple top/white bottom, but happy that purple is going to be seen around Australia next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back