Fremantle Under Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

I really like Fremantle's young list. I think they are building the foundations for long term success. Longmuir seems like a cool, calm and calculated coach. If I was a Freo fan, I'd be happy with the current direction. A couple more strong drafts, perhaps attracting some mature talent back to WA and they should be right. Freo are going about it the right way

I think we have done exceptionally well consider the injuries we have had, and the lack of team training Longmuir has been able to do.

Once you add two key defenders to Fremantle you can afford to be more offensive with your midfield.

Young at half back and Sturt at Half forward will improve transition, and hopefully some full team training will improve the forward structure\movement off the ball.

It will take time to wean the players off a Ross Lyon defensive mindset. They are going fine.

I actually think the Lyon game plan will end up suiting Longmuirs new style.
RTB taught defense first and a way more lock down style. All Freos defenders know how to defend, as RTB hammered it into them.

When Longmuir releases the attacking players out of that style and gets games into guys like Young (natural elite kicking HBF) I think it’ll all come together nicely.

small by product of Ross sticking to his plan too long haha

Fremantle 2019 = 3rd last for points scored

Fremantle 2020 = 2nd last for points scored

Is this the kind of positive progression we’re referring to?

I guarantee we've played in the wet more than any other team this year, which you'd know if you watched our games.

And you couldn't possibly have been more wrong with your 'Ryan loose' and 'they haven't lost any players' calls.

The whole theme of your thread seems to be 'I don't watch Freo and I don't know anything about them, but let me tell you all about them anyway'.

Of course, but clustering the defence hasn’t shown to be effective over the past 5 years.

Hawthorn were exceptional at it during their period of dominance, but they’d always execute the perfect kick coming out of defence which would completely breakdown their opponents defensive structure.

Unless Freo start being braver with their ball use and actively work across the ground to set these plays up it leaves them playing stagnant football.

I love how you start by saying you’ve barely watched any Freo, then comment on how Freo has to be braver with ball use.

We've been very up and down this season.

First three or five games I almost couldn't tell the difference between before and after Ross.

Then we've had some very up and down games where we show a glimpse of some good quick ball movement, and then another where we look terrible.

Yesterday was one of the worst games we've had this year, not so great a yardstick.
If you look at the two or three games before that, there were much better signs.

Overall, on the right track but very inconsistent.

Harsh OP.

Think Freo have shown Significant improvement and growth under J-Lo (they were desperately unlucky against Essendon and Carlton)

Hopefully they can win a couple more games to take into next season and push for a finals birth.

Probably progressed more in 6 months then Carlton have in their last 10 years rebuilding.. Funny a Carlton fan would post this.

JLo is doing just fine. 2 points ahead of that Gold Coast that practically all of AFL were raving about 2-3 months ago.
Good structure in place, a huge injury list. Luke Ryan is our key defender ffs.
Blooded some youngsters- Young, Serong, Henry. Brayshaw slowly becoming A grader, Cerra close behind. Good mix of experience and youth. One player over 30.

I agree. Further, yesterday was nothing to be concerned about apropos the longer term. GWS is a team with multiple levels of performance disorder: they were right on their game yesterday.

I had Freo in my bottom 4 at the start of the year. At the moment they are tracking just above that. With their run home they might only have 1 win left in them for the year so will be touch and go.

I think Longmuir has put his stamp on them off field, cutting players that are ill disciplined and turning over the support staff. The line is in the sand.

Style of play is pretty turgid but eeking out a few wins while pumping game time and development into the young players is about all you can ask for this year for a side in their position. It's really the difference between a coach who has some idea v. a coach who has absolutely none (Nicks).

In summary, nothing to see here really. What he does in year 2 and year 3 will ultimately determine if he is any good.

I think Longmuir has put his stamp on them off field, cutting players that are ill disciplined and turning over the support staff. The line is in the sand.
The cutting of the players might well work well in the long run. After the crap my clubs been through with off field stuff, I have very little tolerance.

but then I thought the line in the sand was when they withdrew from recruiting hogan.....but then they did anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fremantle 2019 = 3rd last for points scored

Fremantle 2020 = 2nd last for points scored

Is this the kind of positive progression we’re referring to?
Ahhhhh yes this thread /subtle troll Just gets better....

we’ve still got a long way to go but we are ACTUALLY a young side and are ACTUALLYplaying said young players in key roles and are one of the top defensive teams in the league despite missing our entire starting 3 kpd, your side however, what are they even half good at?(besides being the AFLs biggest pretenders?)

... haven’t made progress in 10 years ,are no more than a middle of theleague to older side each week yet STILL haven’t even played finals since they got in by defaut in 13’

Your the LAST persons opinion I’d listen to regarding my sides “progress “

Going to preface by saying I’ve seen maybe 3-4 games in total, but has anything changed from last year under Ross Lyon?

Still seem ultra-defensive, can’t create play through the middle of the ground and seem to be treading water through another season.

Granted they have gone through a minor rebuild I thought they’d be far advanced than what they’re showing.

Thoughts?
Heaps has changed.

I ******* swear to god if Y'all keep refusing to understand supply and midfield execution has got much more to do with scoring them some big key forward "Clunking marks"

yes, but also our forward set up sucks balls.

david Hale hasn’t given us any system, which is frustrating.
confusing as Longmuir was a very smart forward/ruck himself

yes, but also our forward set up sucks balls.

david Hale hasn’t given us any system, which is frustrating.
confusing as Longmuir was a very smart forward/ruck himself
Skills/Overall zone set up/gameplan ect. Walters would be playing pretty much 90/100% as the high half forward to provide some creativity as while i love Cerra/Brayshaw/Serong they arent the most creative kicks.

Longmuir's main problem is he's got some players who make poor decisions and can't hit a kick.
Precisely. Still have too many handy players who give their all but butcher it. The 2020 Dockers are tying to move the ball quicker but skills are making that hard. Also, as many have mentioned, the forward line is quite poor. Matera's loss of form has been significant.

Realistically, Freo are exactly where they should be on the ladder with the list. Reasonably good best 22 with limited depth beyond that. The positives of Longmuir's tenure has been the treatment of the younger/newer players. You've had to earn a spot on form and you will be given a few games to show yourself (e.g. Frederick/Schutlz). Felt Ross chopped and changed on the young players who as a result didn't get enough of a chance at the top level. We're probably behind Gold Coast and Carlton in our rebuild, but some good drafting and recruiting (on field and off) and 2022 could maybe be the start of something.

Maybe use Fyfe where he belongs and not in the ******* goalsquare for half the game they'd be more of a threat.
Fyfe's forward to draw attention away from Taberner who while is having a great season isnt good enough to hold down a forwardline on his own shoulders, While releasing guys like Cerra/Brayshaw/Serong/Blakely/Hughes/Bewley into the midfield for extended stays, Yes if Freo were gunning for a finals spot as a do or die, Fyfe and Walters would play a lot more midfield, However getting some experience into the young guys and helping out the forwardline is helping the team long term rather then Just against GWS in a season they were overhauling a philosophy, Game plan ect

Different game plan but utter tripe whatever you want to call it. Score adjusted we're averaging less than we were under Lyon and we're also less exciting to watch. It's an absolute grind watching us. It was a stupid move going for an ex player to be "more Fremantle" when moving away from being a traditionally insular team to doing what it takes took us to a grand final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back