mcfazza28

Senior List
Jul 16, 2011
London
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Fulham
Future is very bright. Great drafting. Also let Neale & Weller go to get good picks.

Astute. I thought I would never say that about Freo but always hoped I would one day

Really hope you guys snag one. Just as long as we have double your premierships at all times

showemhowtorock

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Future is very bright. Great drafting. Also let Neale & Weller go to get good picks.

Astute. I thought I would never say that about Freo but always hoped I would one day

Really hope you guys snag one. Just as long as we have double your premierships at all times
would be embarrassing for WC if we caught you given the head start you received

Yeti

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle
You’ve misread completely. The thread was designed to look at Fremantle and evaluate how they are tracking with their new coach. From a statistical point of view they’re still 17th for points scored.

I was upfront in saying I hadn’t seen much of Freo this season, which has prompted me to watch a bit more and my opinion has largely stayed the same. I’m impressed by their list, but have question marks over the adoption and development of the game style.

JLO might not be the next Mark Neeld, but he could easily be the next Brendan Bolton or Alan Richardson or Brendan McCartney. That is exactly what these kinds of threads are designed to look at: is JLO a career senior coach or a free hit until the next best option opens up?

I’m not sure why Freo supporters are suspecting malicious intent? There’s never been any vitriol directed towards Freo.

Disagree, see my previous posts regarding Longmuir's first year.

If you wanted to engage the AFL loving community on a Fremantle topic that has some relevance it might be the decision making of the club hierarchy.
- Signing Ross Lyon to a 5 year extension
- Sacking a coach with 12 months to go @ aprox. $1,000,000
- Having one of the worst injury lists for the last 8 years and nothing being done about it
- Inability to attract good Assistant Coaches
- Club theme song
- Our 1st round draft picks from 2011-2016
- Player retention

So many better ideas for threads than this thread with no evidence base and zero patience for a guy being put into a position with all the challenges previously listed. The FFC has plenty of issues, Longmuir is definitely not one of those...... yet. He may turn out to be a dud but all signs point positively compared to other 1st year head coaches that have come into the competition.

The Mark Neeld comment probably reinforces how little you understand about Melbourne under Neeld compared to Freo under Longmuir.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
I’m not sure why Freo supporters are suspecting malicious intent? There’s never been any vitriol directed towards Freo.

It's probably a combination of:

1. Opening the thread by declaring Freo were treading water (and not in reference to the typical weather at our games) and comparing them this year to the wooden spooners was never going to get a positive reaction from Freo fans. Particularly since it's not the perspective of the fanbase (who are also frustrated by our low scoring, but are willing to look at the positives for the season and some of the reasons we've struggled to score such as consistent bad weather and injuries to key players.)

2. Your admission that you're making statements about our gameplan and whether the rebuild is on track despite not actually watching Freo games.

Also the first few responses were from a Collingwood and Richmond fan. So not sure why you're singling out Freo fans for calling the thread for being nuffy.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Dear OP.

Some light reading for you to enjoy.

Reminds me of the Brendon Bolton puff pieces:

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Disagree, see my previous posts regarding Longmuir's first year.

If you wanted to engage the AFL loving community on a Fremantle topic that has some relevance it might be the decision making of the club hierarchy.
- Signing Ross Lyon to a 5 year extension
- Sacking a coach with 12 months to go @ aprox. $1,000,000
- Having one of the worst injury lists for the last 8 years and nothing being done about it
- Inability to attract good Assistant Coaches
- Club theme song
- Our 1st round draft picks from 2011-2016
- Player retention

So many better ideas for threads than this thread with no evidence base and zero patience for a guy being put into a position with all the challenges previously listed. The FFC has plenty of issues, Longmuir is definitely not one of those...... yet. He may turn out to be a dud but all signs point positively compared to other 1st year head coaches that have come into the competition.

The Mark Neeld comment probably reinforces how little you understand about Melbourne under Neeld compared to Freo under Longmuir.

So start a thread about other issues? This one is to discuss Longmuir.

You were the one who brought up Neeld, I mentioned a host of guys who started positively but had obvious blindspots in their coaching that ultimately led to their dismissal.

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Loving longmuir!
Players look happy.
Lots of players playing the best footy of their young careers.
he hasn’t whinged about umpiring,weather,injuries,travel, covid restrictions, 4 day breaks which is an awesome example for the players.
Game style will look 10x better with AP, Logue and young rebounding from the back half and Sturt and Henry in the front half with preseasons under their belt.
Effort has been there every game for most quarters.
He’s backed the kids.
You can find our starting midfield for the next 5 years in the 22under22 selector.

Attachments

• B020212D-F28C-4349-B83E-DE12CB151818.png
    B020212D-F28C-4349-B83E-DE12CB151818.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 106

YeOldTiger

67-69-73-74-80-17-19-20
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers, Glenelg Tigers
What, Carlton are allowed 10 years to rebuild but Freo are not ? It's his first season in charge, unfortunately he has had a covid impacted off season so has not been able to train his system as often as he would like. I have seen a few Freo games this year and a blind man can see he is trying to bed down accountable defending, not just mega flooding.

As the year has progressed, hence more training to the playing group, Freo has had some fantastic offensive passages of play based on smart defending. Give them time, way to early for a thread like this.
Agree with this. I live in Freo and my wife supports them so they're like my second team and I always keep an eye on them. I think Longmuir is just what they need and he looks to have the ear of the players. Promoting the younger kids into major mid roles over Fyfe and Walters is great for their development. Brayshaw, Cerra and Serong will form the basis of the midfield for a generation and the addition of some big bodies on the wings in Acres and Aish has been good recruiting. Whether they are part of a future premiership is questionable but along with Mundy they provide strong cover for the kids.

It's the defence that has stepped up though. I didn't rate Brennan Cox at all but he has improved markedly given extra responsibility, Luke Ryan is a gun and a leader and with Pearce and hopefully Hamling as well as Logue all to return their tall defensive stocks are very solid. Wilson is a good player and both Taylin Duman and Ethan Hughes are improving. Hayden Young is a like for like replacement for Stephen Hill and a lovely user of the ball.

The tall forward trio of Tabener, Lobb and a fit Jesse Hogan will be hard to stop if they all click. There are some tough B graders who give them some bite and grunt around the packs like Crowden and Schultz and with players like Darcy Tucker, Sam Sturt and Liam Henry in the wings I think the future looks bright under Longmuir.

Just on Conca, he was shown up a bit in deep defence when at the Tiges but as a defensive mid or run-with player he's dedicated and disciplined. He can turn it over though.

They've improved this year (not just basing it on win/loss but game style and development) and I'm tipping them as the big improvers next year knocking on the door of the eight.

They need more depth and one or two more very good mids and they will have a squad to go on with imo. The big thing that needs to be fixed and it's been a problem for a while is kicking inside 50. Freo get a lot of the ball but can burn it pretty bad at times. Fix that up and they are well on track.

Last edited:

heypenny

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2006
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
Reminds me of the Brendon Bolton puff pieces:

However the sh*t really hit the fan after that article was written. Bolton lost 9 in a row and only one win from his next 13 matches.

I hate to even mention the following three seasons under Bolton.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
However the sh*t really hit the fan after that article was written. Bolton lost 9 in a row and only one win from his next 13 matches.

I hate to even mention the following three seasons under Bolton.

Pretty much my point.

Carlton supporters couldn't have been more optimistic about BB's first year at the club. He cut and pasted a fairly effective gameplan, our structures were very good and we managed to grind out wins against some really good teams.

Unfortunately he wasn't able to develop the squad offensively, and when he tried teams would cut us apart. I think it's pretty easy to play super defensive football because of how taxing it is on your opponent, and the scores stay close enough the players always believe they can win.

The next sign of development for JLO is to show he can come up with an equally devastating offensive side without compromising their defensive structuring. Finding that balance isn't always easy.

Ricky112

Senior List
Aug 29, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Lyon was a disaster and in the end the worst thing to ever happen to Fremantle, but I'm not seeing great improvement under Longmuir.

Some improvement.

Sure there's a new style of play, but is it a style of play that's going to make them a consistent top 8 contender?

It's worked against bad sides, but they've been completely blown out of the water by good sides.

It's an improvement on Lyon either way and a no brainer to dump him.

But some of the adulation for a 6-9 coach is over the top. They do have Fyfe in the middle.

heypenny

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2006
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sure there's a new style of play, but is it a style of play that's going to make them a consistent top 8 contender?

It's worked against bad sides, but they've been completely blown out of the water by good sides.

But some of the adulation for a 6-9 coach is over the top. They do have Fyfe in the middle.

Adulation? The OP's intention of this thread is to criticise Longmuir and his game style. I think the early responses hit the nail on the head. It's too early to judge as we are less than one (unusual) season in. I think we'll be in a better position to assess next season.

Additionally, your insinuation that Freo is a one-man team is what Longmuir is trying to get away from. The team no longer relies on Fyfe to win matches (i.e Cerra BOG last night).

nurries

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2003
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo
Lyon was a disaster and in the end the worst thing to ever happen to Fremantle, but I'm not seeing great improvement under Longmuir.

Some improvement.

We were labeled as wooden spooners with the players we lost and the amount of kids we had. Fyfe has been going about 70% this year after his earlier hamstring issues.

Bigger

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2001
East Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
need to take a good look at themselves

Really though? For more than a quarter?

Have Collingwood been a consistent top 8 contender - because, to my eyes, he's turning us into Collingwood Lite.

WaywardSonSon

Cancelled
Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A.
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cool Runnings

Some improvement.

I guess your definition of "completely blown out of the water" is a 38 point loss, as that is as bad as it has got this year...

Ricky112

Senior List
Aug 29, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I guess your definition of "completely blown out of the water" is a 38 point loss, as that is as bad as it has got this year...
They're a very low scoring team that play some what of a negative style (not as negative as Rossy though).

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
At least we know now why this thread was started, the OP backed in a guy that won 20% of the games he coached and never finished out of the bottom six, and is now desperately trying to deflect

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
If only we could poach an attacking mastermind like Teague we might get somewhere

Doubt I've seen worse i50's all year

Bombs away

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

We do OK against dour defensive teams. It’s similar to how Fire type Pokémon have a natural advantage against Grass type.

Sure Venusaur is quality in his own right but put him up against Charizard and we know who’s going to come away with the chocolates - and no one looking beyond the first two gym leaders is taking Bulbasaur as their starting Pokémon.

WaywardSonSon

Cancelled
Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A.
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cool Runnings
We do OK against dour defensive teams. It’s similar to how Fire type Pokémon have a natural advantage against Grass type.

Sure Venusaur is quality in his own right but put him up against Charizard and we know who’s going to come away with the chocolates - and no one looking beyond the first two gym leaders is taking Bulbasaur as their starting Pokémon.
You what now? 🤦‍♂️

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
At least we know now why this thread was started, the OP backed in a guy that won 20% of the games he coached and never finished out of the bottom six, and is now desperately trying to deflect

Are you talking about Bolton? I was campaigning for him to be sacked around Round 5 last year.

This thread isn’t about Carlton though.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Are you talking about Bolton? I was campaigning for him to be sacked around Round 5 last year.

This thread isn’t about Carlton though.

So you gave him three years and 5 rounds before realising he was crap, but start a thread about a guy 13 games into his first year.
You're quite brilliant

Back