Fremantle Under Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
So you gave him three years and 5 rounds before realising he was crap, but start a thread about a guy 13 games into his first year.
You're quite brilliant

Why are Freo supporters so edgy? Freo have been turning over their list in bulk since 2016, one year after Carlton started a wholesale rebuild.

JLO hasn’t walked into a team at rock bottom - he’s come into team that’s spent 4 years accumulating and developing young talent.

This thread isn’t about Carlton though.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why are Freo supporters so edgy? Freo have been turning over their list in bulk since 2016, one year after Carlton started a wholesale rebuild.

JLO hasn’t walked into a team at rock bottom - he’s come into team that’s spent 4 years accumulating and developing young talent.

It's as much about Carlton as it is a genuine and thoughtful critique of Fremantle.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle

It isn't about Carlton, but it was started by one Carlton supporter that wouldn't know his arse from his elbow

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

same thing happened in 2012 when Ross walked into the team with a bunch of nobodies like Pavlich, Mundy and Fyfe.

typically when a team has been struggling for 2-3 years and the coach has been sacked they are loaded with 1st round picks.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
same thing happened in 2012 when Ross walked into the team with a bunch of nobodies like Pavlich, Mundy and Fyfe.

typically when a team has been struggling for 2-3 years and the coach has been sacked they are loaded with 1st round picks.

Exactly my point. JLO has walked into a team loaded with 4 years worth of draftees: Logue, Darcy, Ryan, Cerra, Brayshaw, Cerra, Sturt, Serong, Young, Henry in addition to elite players in Fyfe and Walters and assortment of other very handy players.

Bolton started with 2-3 first round key position players, a young Cripps and Docherty, some quasi A-graders in Gibbs and Murphy, some veterans and then a lot of very average players.

When Bolton took over our rebuild was just starting, while Freo’s has been in motion for a few years now and they are just starting to see the fruits of those development years with guys like Cerra and Brayshaw turning into stars.

mike91

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
So you gave him three years and 5 rounds before realising he was crap, but start a thread about a guy 13 games into his first year.
You're quite brilliant
Nuffie doesn't watch Freo games, but creates a thread criticizing the coach. Made to look like a fool, with every footy expert speaking very highly of Freo and Longmuir.

Does he show maturity and own up to his embarrassing thread? Nope, he keeps showing how clueless he is and digs that hole even deeper and deeper.

But hey, what would footy experts, or literally anyone that watches Freo know? You know heaps mate, with your 0 Freo viewing games.

Good thing about Bigfooty, everyone is entitled to their opinion

Bad thing about Bigfooty, dead set nuff nuffs like yourself are able to make a thread on the main board

heypenny

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2006
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
Exactly my point. JLO has walked into a team loaded with 4 years worth of draftees: Logue, Darcy, Ryan, Cerra, Brayshaw, Cerra, Sturt, Serong, Young, Henry in addition to elite players in Fyfe and Walters and assortment of other very handy players.

Bolton started with 2-3 first round key position players, a young Cripps and Docherty, some quasi A-graders in Gibbs and Murphy, some veterans and then a lot of very average players.

When Bolton took over our rebuild was just starting, while Freo’s has been in motion for a few years now and they are just starting to see the fruits of those development years with guys like Cerra and Brayshaw turning into stars.

What's funny is that twelve months ago I was seriously worried about the development of Brayshaw, Cerra, Logue and Darcy. I wasn't sure if they were going to take the next step.

The point that myself and other Freo fans are trying to make is that during this season - nearly all of the players you listed (not counting the 2019 draftees) have come on leaps and bounds.

As a Carlton supporter, you should be aware that early draft picks doesn't guarantee a success. If we still had Ross Lyon, my expectation is that Brayshaw and Cerra would still get limited rotation through the midfield, Serong would be playing in the forward pocket and Sturt and Henry wouldn't have made their debuts.

Mar 30, 2008
The Phase Realm
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Freo , Coney Island Warriors.
What's funny is that twelve months ago I was seriously worried about the development of Brayshaw, Cerra, Logue and Darcy. I wasn't sure if they were going to take the next step.

The point that myself and other Freo fans are trying to make is that during this season - nearly all of the players you listed (not counting the 2019 draftees) have come on leaps and bounds.

As a Carlton supporter, you should be aware that early draft picks doesn't guarantee a success. If we still had Ross Lyon, my expectation is that Brayshaw and Cerra would still get limited rotation through the backline, Serong would be playing in the forward pocket and Sturt and Henry wouldn't have made their debuts.

Edited for accuracy.

Corkintheocean

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
You can see within 15 games Longmuir has a gameplan and more importantly a way to implement it on matchday.

'I haven't watched a lot of Carlton games this year'*...but it's more than I can say for Teague (and Shaw, Rutten, Goodwin).

*I have - they are woeful.

Last edited:

Let's not kid ourselves, Freo have a fair few average players too beyond the best 25. Some are just bog average and some are average at AFL standard currently because they are young and developing at AFL rather than WAFL level.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
Going to preface by saying I’ve seen maybe 3-4 games in total, but has anything changed from last year under Ross Lyon?

Still seem ultra-defensive, can’t create play through the middle of the ground and seem to be treading water through another season.

Granted they have gone through a minor rebuild I thought they’d be far advanced than what they’re showing.

Thoughts?

Freo have a very exciting nucleus of young players who are improving all the time. They will be around the same position we are next year in that mid-table group threatening to sneak into finals.

Mock them at your peril.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'd be feeling pretty optimistic if I were a Freo fan. Longmire can clearly coach. Pretty well positoned to have a crack at finals next year. Fyfe and Walters look like they have a few years left of top level footy at least. Importantly though, they can share the load. Stacked for mids with a good mix of experience and youth. Fyfe and Mundy (amazing how well he is doing at age 35 - I assume he's going on next year) as the senior bodies in there. Serong, Brayshaw and Cerra is a bloody good young trio of mids. All three look like they'll be guns. Aish and Acres have been solid pick ups. Acres finally getting a proper crack as a winger and Aish playing better footy than I expected. Darcy is going to be a terrific ruckman. Doesn't seem to get talked about too much but for a 22 year old, he's doing a great job.

Their backline is stacked once they get some injured KPDs back. Ryan and Cox have done a very good job this year. Once Pearce, Hamling and Logue back, it'll be interesting to see how they structure up. One of those players should probably leave I reckon. There'd be teams who'd take any of them. Wilson playing good footy. Hayden Young to come back next year and he looks like a good young player too.

Forwardline has been their issue but they finally look to have something to work with. Taberner has had a great year and Hogan is slowly showing signs. Obviously was good today but would like to see more of it. If they can get a good partnership going, with Lobb roaming, that's a quality KPF trio. Walters as a permanent forward is a weapon. Could do with a dynamic medium forward I reckon.

Vintage

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'd be feeling pretty optimistic if I were a Freo fan. Longmire can clearly coach. Pretty well positoned to have a crack at finals next year. Fyfe and Walters look like they have a few years left of top level footy at least. Importantly though, they can share the load. Stacked for mids with a good mix of experience and youth. Fyfe and Mundy (amazing how well he is doing at age 35 - I assume he's going on next year) as the senior bodies in there. Serong, Brayshaw and Cerra is a bloody good young trio of mids. All three look like they'll be guns. Aish and Acres have been solid pick ups. Acres finally getting a proper crack as a winger and Aish playing better footy than I expected. Darcy is going to be a terrific ruckman. Doesn't seem to get talked about too much but for a 22 year old, he's doing a great job.

Their backline is stacked once they get some injured KPDs back. Ryan and Cox have done a very good job this year. Once Pearce, Hamling and Logue back, it'll be interesting to see how they structure up. One of those players should probably leave I reckon. There'd be teams who'd take any of them. Wilson playing good footy. Hayden Young to come back next year and he looks like a good young player too.

Forwardline has been their issue but they finally look to have something to work with. Taberner has had a great year and Hogan is slowly showing signs. Obviously was good today but would like to see more of it. If they can get a good partnership going, with Lobb roaming, that's a quality KPF trio. Walters as a permanent forward is a weapon. Could do with a dynamic medium forward I reckon.
Great assessment.

as for dynamic medium forward - Sam Sturt. Got the rising star nom earlier in the year but has been injured. 6-2, looks like he‘ll be a great player if / when he’s over the injuries.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

Yeah I think they have had a good year, should be feeling optimistic about the future.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers

This would have to be the most knowledgeable post about Freo I've seen from an opposition supporter. Kudos!

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle

You going to shoot me but Bolton wasn’t the issue.

List management was the issue with the Blues.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Elaborate
Started with the Judd trade and ended with the silly pick swaps.

List management is years and years of decisions build on decisions.

Failed to get Papley.

Failed to trade for Martin, lucky Suns and Demons pass him in the preseason.

Lets start with the Stocker and Flanders trade. Blues basically traded Young/Serong for Kemp, Stocker and Philp. Image Serong, Walsh and Cripps in the middle. That's a very balanced midfield. Plus, that trade could have gone worst and the Blues made a very risky trade.

You traded pick 16 (Stocker) and Mcadam for McGovern and Crows third round pick. Moneyball wise McGovern is getting too much cap and seems to be injured a lot of the time.

Dumping Gibbs was a good move.

Walsh was a good pick but it was a no brainer.

Pick 16 Richards for Kennedy and De Koning was good.

etc

RudyBlue

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Started with the Judd trade and ended with the silly pick swaps.

List management is years and years of decisions build on decisions.

Failed to get Papley.

Failed to trade for Martin, lucky Suns and Demons pass him in the preseason.

Lets start with the Stocker and Flanders trade. Blues basically traded Young/Serong for Kemp, Stocker and Philp. Image Serong, Walsh and Cripps in the middle. That's a very balanced midfield. Plus, that trade could have gone worst and the Blues made a very risky trade.

You traded pick 16 (Stocker) and Mcadam for McGovern and Crows third round pick. Moneyball wise McGovern is getting too much cap and seems to be injured a lot of the time.

Dumping Gibbs was a good move.

Walsh was a good pick but it was a no brainer.

Pick 16 Richards for Kennedy and De Koning was good.

etc
Feel you’re going very early on a lot players here (either good or bad).

Potting McGovern is fair game. Bloke is 26.

Kennedy seems like he’ll be handy depth going forward, rather than entrenched in the 22.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Feel you’re going very early on a lot players here (either good or bad).

Potting McGovern is fair game. Bloke is 26.

Kennedy seems like he’ll be handy depth going forward, rather than entrenched in the 22.
Sure I am but image Cripps, Walsh and Serong in the middle backed up by veteran talent in E Curnow and Murphy.

Also, picking Dow over Cerra and Stevenson.

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Clear change in game plan. The scoring may still be an issue, but the process is chalk and cheese.

Lyon game plan style summary - Long down the lines, outnumber at the contest, players behind the ball, lock it in forward half, pound and ground until you score. There was nothing overly wrong with his style I may add, but you need mature bodies to keep up the pressure. Obviously teams with dare could exploit, but literally that was only 1 or 2 teams when at their peak (Hawks dynasty had us beat).

Longmuir game plan summary - Possession is king, dinky kicks to lead up targets, hold your shape outside contest (don't get sucked in). I don't mind this as it allows our defense to set up behind the ball, but we need to find some offense from it... which will come.

Longmuir also has a young playing list which can afford him time to mould the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back