Fremantle Under Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously Fremantle are improving every week under Longmire and with a couple of things swinging their way this year could be playing finals. There’s alot of buoyancy about the club right now and some outstanding young players coming through.

Could we please stick to reasonable discussion about the topic and keep the back and forth fighting and memes out of it.
Thanks.
*ing troll. Longmuir. Not John Longmire. Jesus.

Seriously though.... The amount of people that say (John) Longmire is disturbing...

Cringeworthy. o_O

Seriously though.... The amount of people that say (John) Longmire is disturbing...

Cringeworthy.

Commentator's who make basic mistakes like that probably watch as many Freo games as old mate La Dispute

I reckon Lloyd's opinion holds as much weight as well, even if it is positive he'll flip flop to generate clicks.

Cringeworthy. o_O

I, for one, think cutting North's grass to steal Sydney's premiership winning coach was a masterstroke.

still in the bottom 6 for scoring, so i am surprised i have not heard any complaints about the coach conisdering this was a major flaw under Ross Lyon.

Rebuilds work from the back first mate. Watch this space. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

still in the bottom 6 for scoring, so i am surprised i have not heard any complaints about the coach conisdering this was a major flaw under Ross Lyon.

There is plenty of reservations on our board about it. If the OP was framed like that it might have had some substance.

Not "I don't watch Freo but did they stuff up appointing John Longmire in the most compromised season since the 40s. Discuss"

Absolutely pathetic from the OP.

A genuine criticism and one that I was making myself earlier in the year.

Stylistically a lot has changed though, and along with natural development we will hopefully see more results from that. You have to give a new coach a bit of time to get things moving and indeed Ross had a similar issue when he joined us in 2012 - a year without disruption such as this.

There's been a few on the Freo board, and in the media after a few of our losses this season. Beyond that I assume in large part J-Lo has the benefits of a honeymoon period and coaching a team performing above expectations (how many people seriously had Freo out of the bottom 4 in preseason?)

Part of the issue likely comes down to injuries. Having Luke Ryan forced to play as a KPD, Willo starting slow due to injury and Young getting injured within a few games doesn't help our transition out of defense, and practicing a three tall forward structure when one of those forwards (Jesse Hogan) only plays 5 games in the season doesn't help. Also add scoring being down across the board in a season affected by Covid due to offensive play being harder to coach than defense and the limitations of learning a new game-plan when Covid impacts training.

I think our offense needs to be a watch this space. If we have good availability next year (any two of Young, Willo and Ryan playing that rebounding defender role and all our KPFs) and can train properly and we're still struggling to score and there's a huge issue with J-Los coaching.

Exactly my point. JLO has walked into a team loaded with 4 years worth of draftees: Logue, Darcy, Ryan, Cerra, Brayshaw, Cerra, Sturt, Serong, Young, Henry in addition to elite players in Fyfe and Walters and assortment of other very handy players.

Bolton started with 2-3 first round key position players, a young Cripps and Docherty, some quasi A-graders in Gibbs and Murphy, some veterans and then a lot of very average players.

When Bolton took over our rebuild was just starting, while Freo’s has been in motion for a few years now and they are just starting to see the fruits of those development years with guys like Cerra and Brayshaw turning into stars.
Gee whiz i'd be having a look at what is happening with your own team.
While Longmuir is playing majority kids in the midfield and getting wins Teague took over and tossed all the kids out of the middle so much for their development by the time Murphy and Curnow retire you'll have all your young mids growth stunted by playing them in the half back/forward flanks if the even get a game at all rip Dow/O'Brien.

More wasted first round picks? Time will tell.

You just said it mate. Ross Lyon knew how to coach defense, And that was pretty much it...

It is a solid point and it's still brought up on our board. I'm very optimistic about Longmuir and like him a lot but if he doesn't turn us into a side that can kick high scores consistently then you can't really say there is much of a difference between the two.

I'm not really bothered though as I still rate Lyon highly as a coach so if all we did was replace Lyon with Lyon then there are far worse outcomes than that tbh.

We've had more wet weather than anyone this year so it's probably fair to drop us a couple of spots in the defence rating but give us a couple in attack if we had a more average run of playing conditions I'd say

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think the big difference in fremantle this year is they are structured like a proper football team, with quality talls at both ends and young core of midfielders who have every chance of being elite once they've played 100-150 games together. There's stability and routine in their rotations, they are naming the same midfield group each week and Taberner and Lobb are teaming up well as regular options on the lead and predictable bail outs for the long kick forward. Guys like Serong and Frederickson who will address some of Fremantle's long term weaknesses, ie lack of line breaking pace, are getting extended runs to fast track their development.

I don't think Longmuir has really done much more than give good young players the freedom to play their natural games in their natural positions, but if you have a quality list that's all it takes sometimes.

Last edited:
Fremantle would be a top 8 team already if they gave Lyon the arse a few years ago.

I think the big difference in fremantle this year is they are structured like a proper football team, with quality talls at both ends and young core of midfielders who have every chance of being elite once they've played 100-150 games together. There's stability and routine in their rotations, they are naming the same midfield group each week and Taberner and Lobb are teaming up well as regular options on the lead and predictable bail outs for the long kick forward. Guys like Serong and Frederickson who will address some of Fremantle's long term weaknesses, ie lack of line breaking pace, are getting extended runs to fast track their development.

I don't think Longmuir has really done much more than give good young players the freedom to play their natural games in their natural positions, but if you have a quality list that's all it takes sometimes.
Interesting hearing this given our quality talls down back have spent the year on the injury list.
Agree with your point though about the natural games, JL has given the players alot more freedom

Interesting hearing this given our quality talls down back have spent the year on the injury list.
Agree with your point though about the natural games, JL has given the players alot more freedom

Yes, but he's also drilled into them the importance of ball retention.

I have a fundamental belief that no player gets into and through the draft unless they have some basic foot skills - but when they get into the AFL system those who are decent get exposed and those who are truly elite rise to the top. Lyon's fundamental game plan was to create pressure so that players with poorer skills were more exposed. In the 2012-15 period this pressure was applied in the opposition half and allowed us to lock the ball, create turnovers and force scoring opportunities. Then from 2016, when the forward pressure dropped we then still played a pressure based game but in our defensive half - leading to countless turnovers.

Longmuir has coached the team to value the ball, be careful (perhaps sometimes too careful) coming out of defence with it and always looking to go to a context where we have an advantage. The difference in basic skills over the space of one season is quite profound. If we can use this platform to improve front half connection then we can start to add to our scoring potential - as we saw at the weekend (although the Roos were rather complicit in our ability to create space and hit a target).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back