Preview Fremantle - v - Adelaide ; a pivotal game

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we win this. We've brought the pressure in every game this year, and the Crows haven't handled high pressure games well. Our tall forwards will be a handful for them, even if Talia covers one of Tabs or Hogan and we have good match-ups for their most dangerous forwards - Pearce on Walker, Nyhuis on Betts. The team defence is better than ever. If the midfield is switched on and we get a boost from Walters and Blakely running through there, we should get enough supply to kick a winning score.

Freo by 20

I'm not so sure about that. At least from recent history. St Kilda are bereft of talent, and all they can do is harass, pressure and flood, and they brought everything against the Crows early. According to the commentary, at quarter time the Saints had some kind of record/extreme score on the pressure meter as measured by Champion Data. Adelaide withstood it and eventually superior talent won out. We won't be bringing the pressure anywhere near as hard as St Kilda. And nor should we, it's a s**t way to play and unsustainable. Keep playing the way we have the last few weeks and we have a good chance.

I'm not so sure about that. At least from recent history. St Kilda are bereft of talent, and all they can do is harass, pressure and flood, and they brought everything against the Crows early. According to the commentary, at quarter time the Saints had some kind of record/extreme score on the pressure meter as measured by Champion Data. Adelaide withstood it and eventually superior talent won out. We won't be bringing the pressure anywhere near as hard as St Kilda. And nor should we, it's a s**t way to play and unsustainable. Keep playing the way we have the last few weeks and we have a good chance.
St Kilda did bring the pressure, the issue for them though is they have no forward line to kick too hence Keath had a monster afternoon. We on the other hand have a very dangerous forward line both tall and small.

St Kilda did bring the pressure, the issue for them though is they have no forward line to kick too hence Keath had a monster afternoon. We on the other hand have a very dangerous forward line both tall and small.
I want us to be more of a pressure side anyway, and I think we have the tools for it too. When we play Essendon I think it is how we should start the game. St Kilda's problem is that it is the only aspect to their game that hurts the opposition.

Don't let the ladder position fool you, Saints are definitely not that good. Great story and all but they are not top 8 material. Having said that, I don't think Freo are either. YET. The next month is going to define the season. If we can win 2 or 3 out of the next 4 we are on the way to finals.

Beating GWS away was certainly a positive sign and arguably our best win in 3 years but will need a lot more of them to be taken seriously. I am still annoyed at losing to GC and in hindsight, West Coast considering the latter are absolutely rubbish at the moment. Both were very winnable games.

Anyway, time will tell.

From what I've seen, Collingwood and Geelong are the only two teams where I cant see how we would get over the top of them, more so than GWS. I dont think we are at their level yet. Both are playing incredible football at the moment

I think our best can match it with everyone else's best so far this year and our good will beat teams outside the 8 more times than not

I've got way more confidence in this team away from home compared to previous seasons. They should aim to break a few hoodoos this year, starting with the Canberra game last week, and continuing Adelaide Oval this weekend. Throw in the dreaded Hobart game in a couple of months for good measure.

From what I've seen, Collingwood and Geelong are the only two teams where I cant see how we would get over the top of them, more so than GWS. I dont think we are at their level yet. Both are playing incredible football at the moment

I think our best can match it with everyone else's best so far this year and our good will beat teams outside the 8 more times than not
I am looking forward to playing those two sides albeit expecting a bit of a touch up. Learning curve and all that. I'm all for the wins giving the guys a bit of confidence but we are still a long way off from being a real contender.

I like the idea of leaving Lobb to do the ruck work.He is far more mobile than Darcy.
It worried me a bit with Darcy, he is a lumbering.But he is also a good pack player , he wins clearances.but is slow around the ground where as Lobb makes the opposition ruck chase.
I am not sure there will be any changes unless forced through injury.

Hoping to snatch a win but just looking to see a competitive effort across all 4 quarters and no drubbing should we lose. Our biggest loss to date has been 13 points and it would be good not to expand on that.

If there are no changes we still have a strong, well gelled, back 6, and at least 4 forwards who are all scoring well or capable thereof given even half a chance. Our forwards didn't have a great night against the Bullies who flooded and we still scored 88. We were lucky to score 88 on a great game against a bottom team the past couple of years.

Will really depend how our midfield goes - if they have an off night they will probably out score us.

Not sure how Walters is injured. I saw him do 2 interviews (on ground and in the change rooms) after the game and he didn't seem hampered, there was no ice, or limping. If he was, I would've expected him to be off getting that seen to, not swanning around with the media.
Is Quartermaine the new Damien Barrett? Absolute dribble today. Had an opinion piece where he acknowledges Freo’s good start BUT. Always a BUT. Trying to downplay Freo as much as he can

Stax, I think they dropped Gibbs. Big statement by them. And I think Jenkins is on the outer too. Like your summary.

Gibbs was dropped a few weeks ago, came back in for the Gold Coast game, but last week they said he had gastro and missed the plane trip to play St Kilda and should be available this week.

Himmelberg apparently is pretty raw and not quite ready (I've only seen some snippets of him), but what Crows fans, as well as some commentary I'm hearing on radio broadcasts, have been saying is that Walker is playing better now that Jenkins has been dropped. (Don't know why as there wasn't a problem with the Walker/Jenkins combo in 2017.)

I've got way more confidence in this team away from home compared to previous seasons. They should aim to break a few hoodoos this year, starting with the Canberra game last week, and continuing Adelaide Oval this weekend. Throw in the dreaded Hobart game in a couple of months for good measure.

Absolutely, these are important to our development - worth two home wins each. Seeing what Carlton managed Sunday, time to break through in Tassie. Then Kardinia Park (not interested in the sponsor name) next year!

Is Quartermaine the new Damien Barrett? Absolute dribble today. Had an opinion piece where he acknowledges Freo’s good start BUT. Always a BUT. Trying to downplay Freo as much as he can

Aren't we trying to keep a lid on it too? After all none of us believe the second place stuff.

Feeling strangely confident about this weeks game - I think our speed and spread will trouble them, our backs are in good form and I’m hoping Myhouse goes to betts, a perfect match up. Just equal the middle and I think we are a good chance - blakely come on down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gibbs was dropped a few weeks ago, came back in for the Gold Coast game, but last week they said he had gastro and missed the plane trip to play St Kilda and should be available this week.

Himmelberg apparently is pretty raw and not quite ready (I've only seen some snippets of him), but what Crows fans, as well as some commentary I'm hearing on radio broadcasts, have been saying is that Walker is playing better now that Jenkins has been dropped. (Don't know why as there wasn't a problem with the Walker/Jenkins combo in 2017.)
Himmelberg played well. I would think he stays for this week. They are doing a bit of transition work on their team, and trying to get the chemistry right. But I think he will get absolutely toweled up by Hamling.

Great write up!!

We have been competitive in both loses this season - And that for me is all we can ask for!

I've been saying this to my friends whom are also Dockers supporters. There is a different vibe around the place, a quietly confidence one - I feel like these 4 recruits bring in massive belief now within the group.
I would go unchanged in this game.
No one tipped us against GWS - And i tell you what, that is what you call making a statement.Still we have critics, but nothing more sweeter than going to Adelaide Oval and dominating - Jesse Hogan has been in great form....yeah he hasn't kicked as many goals as we had hoped for so far but he has brought in the others around him to kick goals. So in saying that for me Jesse Hogan kicks 6 and Freo win

Last edited:
Having said that, I don't think Freo are either. YET. The next month is going to define the season. If we can win 2 or 3 out of the next 4 we are on the way to finals.
Yeah our next 5 weeks of footy will define how far we go this season. If we can win at least 2 out of those 5 (Adelaide, Richmond, Essendon, Brisbane, Collingwood) then we are very much a chance to make the 8.

I’m not sure what the Win/loss record at Adelaide Oval has on this game? Always found it odd that people assume based on what has happened previously when there are so many factors to consider including that every upcoming game is completely different to the last ie line ups, weather, game style etc...
post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Hoping to snatch a win but just looking to see a competitive effort across all 4 quarters and no drubbing should we lose. Our biggest loss to date has been 13 points and it would be good not to expand on that.

If there are no changes we still have a strong, well gelled, back 6, and at least 4 forwards who are all scoring well or capable thereof given even half a chance. Our forwards didn't have a great night against the Bullies who flooded and we still scored 88. We were lucky to score 88 on a great game against a bottom team the past couple of years.

Will really depend how our midfield goes - if they have an off night they will probably out score us.

Not sure how Walters is injured. I saw him do 2 interviews (on ground and in the change rooms) after the game and he didn't seem hampered, there was no ice, or limping. If he was, I would've expected him to be off getting that seen to, not swanning around with the media.
Update, walters kick to kick with my youngest this arvo at footy training. Not injured apart from the usual soreness of 6 weeks afl

I am cautiously hopeful. Cautious in that I have supported the Dockers since the start, and have learnt not to hope too much. Hopeful in that I really want to be able to say "Yeaaaaah baby, it's our year!". One day perhaps!

Next year, mate. My gut says 2020 or 2021, we can say this. Fingers crossed.

But saying that, if we can scratch out a win, my belief in us playing finals this year skyrockets. I would love to get some finals experience into this young team. It would pay dividends in the next few years when we are genuine contenders.

Last edited:
Wasn’t it Quartermaine the journo who ross called out at a coaches press conference (after a game) few years back?
Unsurprising

It's only Round 7, would love to win in Adelaide but our season does not hinge on it nor does our 'progress'. One game at a time.

Learning how to win is in itself a skill....Success breeds success.
This could be a great game for the boys to make another statement.
I think we can win this. We seem to have some team cohesion, without relying on a couple of stars to win for us. This is very promising.

Rather be flying low under the radar than be flying high and copping flak. I think we should be comfortable with the media downplaying our achievements, that way they'll look even more stupid when it all blows up in their faces...then watch the back pedalling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back