Autopsy Fremantle vs Carlton - JLT Round 3

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Runners go on the wing. We have about 4 players that are both good runners and good kicks and one of them may never play. There is more than enough room for Stephen Hill on the wing and Blakely in the guts.

Hill Fyfe Hill
Sandilands Mundy Neale

Blakely on the bench.

Fyfe goes forward? Chuck him on.
Neale needs a spell? In he goes.
Mundy or shill back? Blakely in.

It is completely unnecessary and bordering on detrimental to his development to attempt to squeeze him into a role he so clearly isn't suited to.

Edit: and let's wait and see how Stephen reacts to little bro tearing it up before we make that conclusion ;)
And only has 1-2 years until Mundy hangs up the boots.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Usain Bolt: "Lay off my twin brother " (Zac Dawson).

That's right, Bolt and Dawson are twins and their careers have been eerily similar. Consider the facts:

Zac Dawson /// Usain Bolt

DOB: 2_/_/1986 /// 2_/_/1986

Ht/Wt: 197cms/94kgs /// 195cms/95kgs

Zac+Dawson = 9 letters /// Usain+Bolt = 9 letters.

2016 goals: Zero /// Zero

Career Brownlow votes: Zero /// Zero

Years in Freo leadership group: Zero /// Zero

Olympic gold medals won in the pool: Zero /// Zero

Competing at 2020 Olympics: No /// No

Competed at 2014 AFL GF sprint /// Watching from the stands that day
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/en...l/news-story/5b2cebb0685bab120e39c0bbe9800166

View attachment 344631
images

Separated at birth.
Yep, I have often mistaken them myself.

DMan 11

Premiership Player
Apr 3, 2012
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Usain Bolt: "Lay off my twin brother " (Zac Dawson).

That's right, Bolt and Dawson are twins and their careers have been eerily similar. Consider the facts:

Zac Dawson /// Usain Bolt

DOB: 2_/_/1986 /// 2_/_/1986

Ht/Wt: 197cms/94kgs /// 195cms/95kgs

Zac+Dawson = 9 letters /// Usain+Bolt = 9 letters.

2016 goals: Zero /// Zero

Career Brownlow votes: Zero /// Zero

Years in Freo leadership group: Zero /// Zero

Olympic gold medals won in the pool: Zero /// Zero

Competing at 2020 Olympics: No /// No

Competed at 2014 AFL GF sprint /// Watching from the stands that day

POTY for me so far !!

Kenny_01

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
The other thing to remember about Blakely is when he plays in the midfield he generally only plays around 60 to 70% game time. The shift to half forward may see that increase to 80%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gussman

All Australian
Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
That makes absolutely no sense at all.

I think he means that even though he was overlooked by every team, doesn't mean he is bad.

Walters was pick 53, Neale was pick 58. Both would of been overlooked by every team. Doesn't mean they aren't any good.

Problem with Ryan was he had a very sub-par combine, otherwise he almost certainly would of been picked up. When drafting mature-age players you want them to make an intimidate impact. Hopefully we can get Luke Ryan to play about 10 games this season, depending on form and injury.

ydraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Crozier will get his chance at half-forward will Ballantyne injured. He looked lovely against Collingwood in the 2nd half with Kersten off. The backline will be Dawson, Hamling, Johnson, Ibbotson, Spurr, Weller. I hope they gel.

Actually think Croz is better suited to HB or Wing and that Ed Langdon should play in Ballas role.

Croz is a beautiful long kick of the footy but you can just as easily use that skill of half back as players like Suckling show.

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
Actually think Croz is better suited to HB or Wing and that Ed Langdon should play in Ballas role.

Croz is a beautiful long kick of the footy but you can just as easily use that skill of half back as players like Suckling show.

Crosier played as a mid in the Peel. scratchy . I can't remember Crosier training as a back in any of the pre season match sims. I haven't got a reason but Crosier does not seem to be looked at by the match committee as a half back. Strange decision .

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think he means that even though he was overlooked by every team, doesn't mean he is bad.

Walters was pick 53, Neale was pick 58. Both would of been overlooked by every team. Doesn't mean they aren't any good.

Problem with Ryan was he had a very sub-par combine, otherwise he almost certainly would of been picked up. When drafting mature-age players you want them to make an intimidate impact. Hopefully we can get Luke Ryan to play about 10 games this season, depending on form and injury.

The difference is that they got picked eventually so there was demand for them from at least one club. Not 1 club had any great interest in Ryan.

If he stays with Subi all year and improves his fitness and endurance even slightly, I suspect there'll be some interest come draft time.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
The difference is that they got picked eventually so there was demand for them from at least one club. Not 1 club had any great interest in Ryan.

If he stays with Subi all year and improves his fitness and endurance even slightly, I suspect there'll be some interest come draft time.
I think if freo know earlier about yarren case and decision to retire , liam Ryan is a great rookie list get , he won't be there if he improve like w rioli in this year draft. A bargain get will always have some risk.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
All our inside mids lack pace. We've been torn apart by mids streaming away from Mundy, Fyfe, Neale. Hill gives us pace on the inside. He's essential for balance.
So what does D Pearce bring to the table? I understand having Hill in there at times, but there are plenty of teams higher
on the ladder with slow inside mids.
The difference is fast minds, quick hands, and using handball to clear congestion, setup plays, and why a tagging role
could still be on the cards.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
So what does D Pearce bring to the table? I understand having Hill in there at times, but there are plenty of teams higher
The difference is fast minds, quick hands, and using handball to clear congestion, setup plays, and why a tagging role
Blakely hasn't had a high percentage of game time when he has been in the side and developing his forward role may be a means of addressing this. Swapping with Fyfe is a ridiculously good idea and one that will make life difficult for the opposition (Bennell would be better still). Freeing up Hill by making him a more diverse player has the potential to put him into another stratosphere.

I think our coaching/development team are handling this brilliantly.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Cheers. Well would not have been happy if the club had preferred Ryan to Strnadica. Can't draft them all.
Well that is true , I mean that is obvious mistake there to waste a senior spot with the recruitment of yarren when he can't fulfill the minimum 2 year requirements. I put it as the same categories as Colin slyvia. Defend all you like a mistake is a mistake and is the same scenario except Colin slyvia gone before the draft and yarren gone after the draft.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS

D.Pearce is an outside mid. Stands away from the contest. Left footer. No doubt limited, can't go inside but we lack genuine quality outside mids. That's why B.Hill looks amazing, yet was fringe at Hawks.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Even if we knew about Yarran's issues I still don't think we would've drafted Liam Ryan tbh. We would've wanted someone ready to go. A guy who scores low 10s in a beep test is no where near ready to go.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
I disagree, is depend on your paid , if you rookie some one how could you expect him to perform the level of a senior paid . eg if you upgrade Ethan Hughes to two year contract I will have higher expectation of him than those in the rookie list. You paid for what you get . I will probably use the last spot after Luke Ryan to draft a small forward he might not be liam Ryan .rookie rough diamond is where you get priddis,sandiland ,cox, Barlow type of players.

Last edited:

Beak_A

All Australian
Dec 11, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just watched the replay. Might be the purple glasses but I thought the fast handpassing midfield transition game is close to clicking. Blues were quite Faverage tho

Liked Blakelys energy at the contest, few fumbles though

Liked Langdons commitment tho some skills improvement could be good

How natural was Logues super goal. Shows what he's capable of. Still got a bit of the game to learn

And Fyfe - I think opposition teams are already quaking. Did get concerned at how quickly the umpires were paying holding the ball against him when trying to break away with the footy compared to others though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I disagree, is depend on your paid , if you rookie some one how could you expect him to perform the level of a senior paid . eg if you upgrade Ethan Hughes to two year contract I will have higher expectation of him than those in the rookie list. You paid for what you get .

We're talking about Yarran who was on the senior list. If Yarran had been delisted/retired before the draft we take an extra pick in the draft. Honestly no idea who would've been taken but a beep test in the 10s in unacceptable for a guy who's trying to become an AFL footballer, especially one of his size, age and position. I said it in the lead up to the draft and will say it again. There's no way he'll ever get drafted with numbers like that. Come back this year after improving it to high 11s or into the 12s or don't bother coming back. Like it or not running/athletic ability is just as important to AFL recruiters as any skill involving a football. He clearly has the second bit so he needs to work on his fitness and/or desire before he's considered. Certainly not over for him if he wants it but WAFL pre season or not numbers like that not only question his ability ability to build fitness but also how much he wants it.

Last edited:

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
We're talking about Yarran who was on the senior list. If Yarran had been delisted/retired before the draft we take an extra pick in the draft. Honestly no idea who would've been taken but a beep test in the 10s in unacceptable for a guy who's trying to become an AFL footballer, especially one of his size, age and position. I said it in the lead up to the draft and will say it again. There's no way he'll ever get drafted with numbers like that. Like it or not running/athletic ability is just as important to AFL recruiters as any skill involving a football.
Based on your previous opinion I think you want a full package , I believe deluca and grey combine test or 3km trial is good then you mention they lack skill . what I am getting at is you don't get a full package in any draft. Yarran skill is brilliant but his problem is outside of the field . Jeremy mcgowen overlook in the main draft due to his weight .

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Based on your previous opinion I think you want a full package , I believe deluca and grey combine test or 3km trial is good then you mention they lack skill . what I am getting at is you don't get a full package in any draft.

I would've been happy with an 18/19 year old tbh. They'd be more ready for AFL than a guy who scores 10.1 in a beep test.

Back