Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 29, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Glory
It feels like a strange time to be posting a preview for Sunday’s game against the wooden-spooners in waiting. Of course we are all still thinking about the welfare of one of our Rising Stars*, Andy Brayshaw. Hopefully he has a swift and full recovery and continues to improve on his 2018 body of work next season – with players (and young men) like him at the club the future looks bright.

On that horrible incident and its aftermath, it’s times like these that I’m proud to wear purple. The arrogance of the other mob in this town is always breathtaking but it’s pleasing to see Seven West holding them to account at last. Gaff – unlike their coach, rampaging flogbean of a CEO**, and large parts of their supporter base – has at least shown contrition and truly owned his actions. I hope he accepts his punishment with good grace.

If old mate Gil had his way, this game would’ve seen novelty goal-squares and other stupid rules being tested. After a great round of football, that conversation has thankfully dulled a little and this game instead represents a chance for our boys to galvanise together, put in a strong performance for their fallen comrade and hopefully get an eighth win for the season for what will no doubt be a passionate and boisterous Freo crowd.

For their part, Carlton are coming into this game fresh from a humiliating defeat at the hands of the Giants, one of the premiership favourites. During the last quarter GWS were happy to play two men short on the field, and they still won the quarter seven goals to one to run out 105 point winners.

Last Time They Met

Round 13, 2018 – 16 June – Etihad Stadium – Carlton 6-10-46 vs 15-13-103 Fremantle

The mighty Fremantle Dockers headed into a Round 13 match-up with Carlton in the early Saturday timeslot off a six-day break from a cracking win against Adelaide in Perth.

Carlton meanwhile, were set for the encounter, coming off the bye and playing a team they would think were beatable.

We all know what happened: Carlton were insipid and Fremantle laid on 12 goals to nil in the first half in a display of fast-moving, skilful, attacking football.

If I recall, Ricky Nixon even posted on twitter at half time that he put a bet on for the Socceroos to score more goals against France that night than Carlton LOL.

Carlton got their act together in the second half but Freo cruised to a 57 point win. Lachie Neale got three goals and 33 touches, while Fyfe got two goals and a lazy 30.

What to expect

Clearly Andy Brayshaw is not available for selection, and Tommy Sheridan is the most likely to come in. S. Hill may have injury issues as well, and it seems Hamling and Fyfe may both be unavailable.

Hoping for a disciplined and hopefully improved footballing performance from the young Dockers following a couple of weeks at home and a week where team spirit would surely be at a peak following an ugly derby.

Nullifying Cripps, stopping Curnow and limiting the damage of Simpson’s run will surely be the keys for Fremantle.

Would love to see improvement from Taberner in his second game back from injury lay-off, and generally more skill and cohesion in transition, which was lacking against West Coast.

Fremantle to win by 40 points in front of a passionate purple crowd!

* Can't believe the AFL didn't award Brayshaw a Rising Star nomination this season. His first half was worthy, even if his game was cut short by a surprise haymaker.
** Source: Wikipedia

Things to get excited about:
- How the Tabs/Cox/McCarthy trio go in their 2nd game together.
- Darcy vs Lobbe/Kruzer
- Cerra hopefully to get mid minutes with Brayshaw out.
- Brady Grey.... still don't know what to make of the bloke - 100% effort always, has some absolute howlers and some absolute pearlers. Can he make it past this year?
- Walters/Ballas/Matera at the feet of a geniune tall fwd line.
- Tucker... Beautiful skills and poise..... just needs to find twice the amount of football and where to go to stay involved. Imagine a cross between Giro and Tucker!
- Carlton's forward line isn't great. Wilson and Ryan should be able to really work the ball well out of the backline.

So the players out since our last Carlton game:
Sandi, Fyfe, S Hill, Blakely, Hamling, Brayshaw, Apeness, (Sherro, Giro, Nyhuis - May be back in)

Geezus!

In's from last Carlton game:
Walters, APearce, Tabs, BHill, Darcy, McCarthy, Johnson, Crowden, Grey.

So probably a stronger forward line and more outside run but less meat on the inside. Backline somewhat similar.

I think it might be a good time for a goodbye game for DPearce. Carlton have very little speed on the outside. DPearce could help BHill and Langdon really stretch Carlton. He was pretty good against the Saints and has been excellent at Peel.

Cripps/EdCurnow/Murphy is their midfield - the rest are abit average or inexperienced. Maybe SPS, not sure how he's been travelling lately. Just need to back Mundy/Neale and co to split the midfield battle. We should dominate on the outside.

Simpson is their only asset down back, the rest are just role players. Grey as a forward tag wouldn't be the worst idea. Carlton are super reliant on Simpson's drive. Shut him down and its half the battle.

Charlie Curnow and McKay up forward. Maybe AP on the mobile CCurnow and Johnson on the less mobile McKay. We've strugglwd against smalls lately so hopefully Nyhuis comes back in.

So the players out since our last Carlton game:
Sandi, Fyfe, S Hill, Blakely, Hamling, Brayshaw, Apeness, (Sherro, Giro, Nyhuis - May be back in)

Geezus!

In's from last Carlton game:
Walters, APearce, Tabs, BHill, Darcy, McCarthy, Johnson, Crowden, Grey.

So probably a stronger forward line and more outside run but less meat on the inside. Backline somewhat similar.

I think it might be a good time for a goodbye game for DPearce. Carlton have very little speed on the outside. DPearce could help BHill and Langdon really stretch Carlton. He was pretty good against the Saints and has been excellent at Peel.

I know this is strange in the context of developing our youth but I was also thinking we may need to play Pearce and Sheriden to keep some much needed experience in the team this week. I am just not sure that playing Giro and Crowden in the same team at this stage of their development is something you would do if you want the win.

Blues with some big names coming back this week may be more competition than we would normally be expecting.

Things to get excited about:
- How the Tabs/Cox/McCarthy trio go in their 2nd game together.
- Walters/Ballas/Matera at the feet of a geniune tall fwd line.

These in particular.

Our first half footy against the Blues last time was ******* majestic. Against a team of witches hats, granted, but still wonderful to see.

I'd just love to see our forward line function properly, kick a big score and generally give us something all to smile about in what has been a campaigner of a week so far.

Another bag for Cox (heh) ala vs the Crows would be great to see, as would Cam building on his last game.

Nice write up XXRL .
Happy to see the weather may be OK.
Both clubs will be stinging and we need to get some effective ball movement skills operating.
We'll do it of course and I'll enjoy being there to see it.
Part of the build to beating better sides.
One or two pensioners may re-enter the fray which will have the knicker knotters swooning and hysterical again.
Can't see it being a nail biter.

Cam, Cox and Tabs to all get 4-5 goals each would be awesome, probably won't happen but a man can dream

This is a huge danger game, Carlton should get some handy in’s. We’re scraling the barrel.
iirc there's been talk of the AFL giving them a PP, there really isn't any incentive whatsoever for them to win. I mean I guess anything is possible but I'd be massively surprised if we lost even with a heap of players missing.

iirc there's been talk of the AFL giving them a PP, there really isn't any incentive whatsoever for them to win. I mean I guess anything is possible but I'd be massively surprised if we lost even with a heap of players missing.

No team should be getting a PP, they've been pretty awful but they know what path they're on. I actually think they will be fine, a lot of guys coming into their 3-4th season next year will take steps up, wont be near finals but I reckon 2020 they can be a 8-10 win team - hopefully we are playing finals by thenbut I have my doubts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No team should be getting a PP, they've been pretty awful but they know what path they're on. I actually think they will be fine, a lot of guys coming into their 3-4th season next year will take steps up, wont be near finals but I reckon 2020 they can be a 8-10 win team - hopefully we are playing finals by thenbut I have my doubts.
Yep, J.Brown kept crapping on about a PP for Brisbane last season. Then a year later hey what do you know they are starting to put it together and look the goods without any extra charity.

On our last three games we are no certainties in this one , We add Brayshaw and S. Hill to an already long injury list . Wouldn't be putting my house on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back