Preview Fremantle vs Essendon, Optus, Saturday 17/08/2019 @ 6.10PM AWST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
We find ourselves in an awkward position now...

In the 8 in name only, only need 1 more win to lock away a finals belting

Can't really say bring out the axe and play the kids now can we? Season is still live and kicking..again, we are in the 8!

But something needs to happen, to set an example. What do we do?

Problem , we play big Sandi and Darcy this week, then Grundy the next...

Only hope this week is Clarke has some kind of Freo Intel. Scarey to think how we would get butchered giving both teams exclusive first use.

Middling English killed us!

Need some kind of plan, not a Baldrick one either

Problem , we play big Sandi and Darcy this week, then Grundy the next...

Only hope this week is Clarke has some kind of Freo Intel. Scarey to think how we would get butchered giving both teams exclusive first use.

Middling English killed us!

Need some kind of plan, not a Baldrick one either

The “first use” theory is just a myth, last week we got hammered in clearances and hit outs, this week we comfortably won the hit outs and clearances.

It’s all about pressure around the ball and in our front half, if we bring that then it’s a completely different game, we still wouldn’t have won either of the two matches but it’s a different game.

Last edited:
Any player not 100% or needs surgery should not be playing this week or in the final game. Give them a two week head start on pre-season.

I hate the word ‘tanking’ but play an experimental side with the players we have available. Positional changes etc ... see what they’ve got. If we manage to sneak a win (highly, highly unlikely) this way then so be it.

This is a 2020 audition for potentially a new coaching setup.

People do know Caracalla is staying at Richmond until after finals right?

Not even sure where we start with dropping passengers now. Dea should have played ahead if McNiece if he’s still fit, McNiece was completely outsized and Dea competes well.

I’d be tempted to throw Long in for a couple of games for Fantasia, Mynott in Baguely’s role (that Snelling was doing).

Myers wasn’t horrible, so he stays.

Fantasia is clearly not ok, I don’t know why we’re playing him.

Hooker also not ok, Hartley fairly stiff to be dropped with all those changes.

People wanting Z.Clarke to be dropped and ruck Hartley in his place will be in for a rude surprise at just how useless Hartley is in there.

Zaharakis shouldn’t be anywhere near the backline, play him in the middle or forward, or in the VFL.

Our i50 entries must be the worst in the league, gives our forwards no chance at all, but our forwards (and mids) just let them walk it straight back out.

Potentially our best bet is that Freo implode.

Injuries we’ve got plenty of; what I want to see is some effort, some indication that the players give a s**t about winning the way the supporters do.

Losing to Port then the Bulldogs the way they have is appalling, the 2016 top-up side played more competitively and they really were VFL standard.

In: Parish, Francis, Laverde, Hams, BZT, Hartley, Mynott
Out: Zaharakis, Heppell, Fantasia, Langford, Z Clarke, McNiece, Baguley

Take Hooker out of the backline. Cooked. Play him forward so that Stringer and Laverde grab the 3/4th defenders
Yep.
I'd be looking to take Brown out too if we can find a replacement.
Gown ready at all?

Or keep Clarke. At least he has ruck in his position title.

We find ourselves in an awkward position now...

In the 8 in name only, only need 1 more win to lock away a finals belting

Can't really say bring out the axe and play the kids now can we? Season is still live and kicking..again, we are in the 8!

But something needs to happen, to set an example. What do we do?
I think we can find a place for all of Laverde, Ridley and Mynott, and maybe BZT.
We surely don't play Bags or Myers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B Gleeson Ambrose Francis
HB Redman Hooker Mckeena
C McGrath Parish Shiel
HF Tipungwuti Laverde Brown
F Stringer Mckernan Begley
Foll: Z.Clarke Zaharakis Merrett
Inter: Langford, D.Clarke, Houlahan, Mynott
Emerg: Ham, Long, Baguley, Gown

In: Francis, Parish, Mynott, Houlahan, Hartley
Out: Heppell(Injured), McNeice, Myers, Baguley, Fantasia(Injured)

Any player not 100% or needs surgery should not be playing this week or in the final game. Give them a two week head start on pre-season.

I hate the word ‘tanking’ but play an experimental side with the players we have available. Positional changes etc ... see what they’ve got. If we manage to sneak a win (highly, highly unlikely) this way then so be it.

This is a 2020 audition for potentially a new coaching setup.
I never thought I’d see the day where Macca was the optimist.

Drop Bags? Seriously? The bloke was our highest goal scorer last night, deserves his spot next week.

:(
Two gimme goals with 2 mins. to go, spare me. Bags has had his farewell game, thank you goodbye.
What we need now is a farewell and thank you game for John. We're not playing finals anytime soon so let's get on with a proper rebuild.

Out: Hooker, McNeice, Fanta, Zakka, Langford, Begley (Brown)
In: Hartley, Dea, Laverde, Francis, Parish, Ham, (Jok)

Team:-

Dea Hartley Redman
Gleeson Ambrose McKenna
Heppell Merrett Parish
Tippa McKernan Laverde
Francis Stringer Baguley

Z.Clarke Shiel D.Clarke

Bench: Myers Ham McGrath Brown/Jok

This could be really ugly again.... Wouldn’t be opposed to bringing in Jok for a game as back up ruck baptism of fire against Sandilands!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
I'd like to see Jok come in also - Richmond bought Chol in when their ruck stocks were at rock bottom and he's been more than serviceable. I cant see to many negatives giving Jok a game....he cant be much worse than Zach Clarke surely...!!!

So their season is essentially over you'd think. Half our mob should be playing for their carrers now. Please for f¿cks sake do something different like maybe play Mckernan in the middle. Try McGrath back. Try Mckenna on the ball. For f¿cks sake try something already. No doubt we lose two out of Raz, Hepp and Hooker. Hopefully Parish, Saad and Francis are back to start with. Laverde too.

It'd be really nice to win this one or next week and finish the season on some sort of high note but I'm personally hoping we miss finals this year and take the two week headstart on preseason. We're shaping up as being about as menacing as a wet noodle in September with about five walk-up best 22 players currently on the bench, another three or four clearly carrying niggling injuries and a further 5-6 depth players being out of action as well.

I never thought I’d see the day where Macca was the optimist.
In 2011 he made a thread saying we were monties for top 4.

If it were me, I'd go with:

Gleeson - Hooker - Francis
McKenna - Ambrose - Redman
Ridley - Shiel - Ham
Begley - Brown - Snelling
Walla - Hartley - Stringer
McKernan - Parish - Merrett
Langford - McGrath - Mynott - D Clarke

In: Francis, Ham, Hartley, Parish, Ridley, Mynott, Snelling
Out: McNiece, Zaharakis, Baguley, Myers, Clarke, Fantasia (inj), Heppell (inj)

Play the kids.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back