Preview Fremantle vs Essendon, Optus, Saturday 17/08/2019 @ 6.10PM AWST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And 74kg. Verses Sandilands. Hmmm. Sadly it's Clarke this week. I'd like to see Mckernan take on Grundy though. Think he'd go ok
Exactly.

It'd be like putting Doss in the ruck against Caleb Daniel. Suicidal.

It's an odd sequence of recent games. When winning 7 from 8, there were plenty of faults one could find in the performances, though lacking heart wouldn't be one of them.

You could almost forgive the Port result to some degree, with injuries (both during the game and missing players) and accuracy (or lack thereof) largely contributing to the eventual blowout.

Allowing an opponent 21 consecutive goals is almost unheard of at the top level though, let alone an aspiring finalist copping it from a team below them. The most worrying thing is that it suggests a lack of fight, yet it seemed that same fight was almost the only thing the team had while eeking out 5 consecutive wins.

What I can't understand is people berating the team for Saturday's disgusting performance, yet in the next breath wanting to throw in the towel and have the kids play out the season, despite still (somehow!) sitting in 7th.

The club needs to get this finals win monkey off its back ASAP. As unlikely as it seems right now, it still has its destiny in its own hands. The experience and confidence gained from winning a final would benefit the club as a whole far more than a few extra games into some kids.

I’m glad he did. Hopefully it’s broadcasted throughout the club this week to all & sundry. We deserved to be embarrassed the pathetic organisation that we are.

His quote is making its way through a number of other media outlets. For sure it’ll get back to the club and players.

Heppell says the group owes us one, what about the effort in round 1,2,14 and 20. I think it’s evident on exposed form that too many in this group just don’t care much about playing a high level of afl football, just happy to get their pay check and live the afl lifestyle. How many players are there on the list that you know will give 100% effort everytime they play and put their body on the line at all costs heppell, redman, saad? Until we weed out the players that don’t care enough we won’t go anywhere. Having players like fantasia and Myers in the leadership group is diabolical.

Heppell says the group owes us one, what about the effort in round 1,2,14 and 20. I think it’s evident on exposed form that too many in this group just don’t care much about playing a high level of afl football, just happy to get their pay check and live the afl lifestyle. How many players are there on the list that you know will give 100% effort everytime they play and put their body on the line at all costs heppell, redman, saad? Until we weed out the players that don’t care enough we won’t go anywhere. Having players like fantasia and Myers in the leadership group is diabolical.

Mm would've liked to see Ambrose put in effort on the weekend...

I really hate the "effort" argument. It's really clear it's not that. Our boys are trying. Round 1 I think absolutely you could argue that. But margin doesn't = they don't care/didn't put in effort.

If you look at the side we picked on the weekend:
1) We picked a very slow side in comparison to the Bulldogs
2) We picked Heppell, Raz and Hooker who can barely run between them.

Now in terms of putting on pressure and tackling, in the modern "team defense" style having even 1, let alone 2-3 that are really going to struggle to make their positions and put pressure on throws a huge spanner in the works in terms of applying pressure.
Dylan Clarke was trying his heart out. Ambrose was superb in his pressure. Merrett tried all day (see tackle on Bontempelli late).

You can question the team selection if you like as to why you we pick 3 guys who clearly are not 100% and can't run properly, as well as quite a few slow players in Baguely, Myers and Langford (quite clearly the answer is injuries, but I digress). But it's not an "effort/not caring" thing, and I think it's a cop out to say as such.

What were his actual comments? I keep hitting a paywall. Thanks in advance.
“There’s some Melbourne clubs that haven’t won a final in 15 years. We’ve been to a grand final, prelim and top of the ladder 2012, 13, 14, 15,” he said.

“We’re close to it this year. If we can make finals this year it would be a relatively quick cycle compared to some Melbourne clubs.”

McKernan has to be in some doubt. Doubt Heppell will get up, no fault of his own but he just couldn't go on Saturday night. Raz, please do not play him anymore - enough is enough. Ridley and Ham should've played at least against the dogs.

Ess under Worsfold aren't a daring club at the selection table, quite predictable by playing it safe with mature 'past it' players. Doubt that will change Thursday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mm would've liked to see Ambrose put in effort on the weekend...

I really hate the "effort" argument. It's really clear it's not that. Our boys are trying. Round 1 I think absolutely you could argue that. But margin doesn't = they don't care/didn't put in effort.

If you look at the side we picked on the weekend:
1) We picked a very slow side in comparison to the Bulldogs
2) We picked Heppell, Raz and Hooker who can barely run between them.

Now in terms of putting on pressure and tackling, in the modern "team defense" style having even 1, let alone 2-3 that are really going to struggle to make their positions and put pressure on throws a huge spanner in the works in terms of applying pressure.
Dylan Clarke was trying his heart out. Ambrose was superb in his pressure. Merrett tried all day (see tackle on Bontempelli late).

You can question the team selection if you like as to why you we pick 3 guys who clearly are not 100% and can't run properly, as well as quite a few slow players in Baguely, Myers and Langford (quite clearly the answer is injuries, but I digress). But it's not an "effort/not caring" thing, and I think it's a cop out to say as such.
Sorry I missed Ambrose. Yes Clarke tried his guts I was going to add him in there. Merrett gives effort but there have been games where he just front runs and gives up ( round 1).
If you think Saturday had anything to do other than effort your have your head in the sand. It was clear to see the effort was not there at qtr time, let alone the last 3 quarters. Obviously all players try because they run out there for 4 quarters, but do most them give 100% all the time in every contest the answer would be no. When the dogs were continually running the whole ground untouched into an open goal like its circle work there is something wrong.

“There’s some Melbourne clubs that haven’t won a final in 15 years. We’ve been to a grand final, prelim and top of the ladder 2012, 13, 14, 15,” he said.

“We’re close to it this year. If we can make finals this year it would be a relatively quick cycle compared to some Melbourne clubs.”
All facts.

Richmond won a flag with 190
Fun fact.

Jack Riewoldt had more hit outs during the year then Shaun Grigg.

But by all means continue to believe a bullshit myth that originated on Bigfooty.

Of course his comments are valid, but to not at least reference the ASADA stuff (as it is very relevant if we're talking about cycles) is a little disingenuous.

One tackle laid in our forward half. 21 goals kicked straight against us. We didn't kick a goal for 108 minutes. 29 more inside 50's. 36 more contested possessions.

You seriously think we were trying?

God help us.

This.
21 unanswered is virtually unheard of at the highest professional league of this sport. I mean if this was the amateurs or the associated local leagues, yeah very possible. This with AFL listed players in a team that has a chance to play finals! Bloody baffling

How fantasia is in the leadership group is beyond me. When has he rolled up his sleeves the last 2 months?? Like Myers did earlier in year, I’d be inclined to drop myself I’d be that embarrassed if I were him. Has played like a little wimp of late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back