Preview Fremantle Vs Melbourne @ Patersons - Rd 9 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Better effort last week, but we need to back it up again.

Melbourne
Round 1: Port Adelaide 19.19 (133) defeated Melbourne 8.6 (54)
Round 2: Essendon 28.16 (184) defeated Melbourne 5.6 (36)
Round 3: West Coast 27.15 (177) defeated Melbourne 13.5 (83)
Round 4: Melbourne 22.12 (144) defeated Greater Western Sydney 15.13 (103)
Round 5: Brisbane 17.20 (122) defeated Melbourne 14.10 (94)
Round 6: Carlton 18.13 (121) defeated Melbourne 8.12 (60)
Round 7: Gold Coast 16.18 (114) defeated Melbourne 7.12 (54)
Round 8: Richmond 15.16 (106) defeated Melbourne 11.6 (72)

As I said, we put in a good effort last week and we need to back it up as we continue to strive to earn back respect after our shocker against the Suns. But, there were a few players who did stand out over the weekend.

Players To Watch
Aaron Davey: Davey put in a 2004-esque performance last week, having 19 disposals and three goals, and perhaps looms as one of the pivotal small forwards in this game now that Walters is out. With no guarentees on Davey's future as it stands, Davey will want to continue putting in big performances like last Sunday to maintain a spot on the list in the near-future.

James Magner: Magner came straight into the lineup on Sunday and immediately stamped his authority on the team, having 20 disposals and winning the ball in close, helping to provide support for Nathan Jones. Magner likes Patersons, having had 32 disposals in his second game last season in a 108 point loss to West Coast.

Colin Garland: Deserves more recognition than the lack of it he is getting. Without Garland it is fair to suggest Melbourne would be walloped by a lot more than we already are at times. Garland only had 12 disposals against the Tigers, but it was his spoiling work and his calmness which impressed me the most. Hopefully he can have another big game against the Dockers on Sunday.

Fremantle
Round 1: Fremantle 16.12 (108) defeated West Coast 11.14 (80)
Round 2: Fremantle 16.10 (106) defeated Footscray 11.12 (78)
Round 3: Essendon 10.12 (72) defeated Fremantle 9.14 (68)
Round 4: Hawthorn 18.10 (118) defeated Fremantle 11.10 (76)
Round 5: Fremantle 12.9 (81) defeated Richmond 12.8 (80)
Round 6: Fremantle 15.9 (99) defeated Gold Coast 7.12 (54)
Round 7: Fremantle 15.10 (100) defeated Collingwood 10.13 (73)
Round 8: Sydney 11.4 (70) drew with Fremantle 9.16 (70)

Fremantle showed heart in their comeback against the reigning premiers but will be filthy that they didn't spoil a late Michael Johnson shot that didn't make the distance with about 20 seconds left. Despite a small blip between rounds 3-4, Fremantle have been excellent so far this season and are certainly a good top four chance. Freo will want to continue their good form against the Dees.

Players To Watch
Michael Johnson: Johnson was terrific against the Swans, particularly in the last few minutes where he was swung forward and made a target. Johnson had 25 possessions and kicked a goal. Since being charged with drug possession a few years back, Johnson has been one of the best defenders in the competition, but has now shown his hand as an excellent swing man á la Harry Taylor.

Jack Hannath: Guarenteed to play as both Sandilands and Griffin are injured but there's a reason he's on here, and that's because Freo stole him from our grasp. It's a well known story, Hannath was training with the Dees in Darwin, when the Dockers picked him up in the pre season draft. Since then Hannath has shown a lot of potential, despite having a quiet game against the Swans. This will be the first time Hannath has played against the Dees since this interesting story.

Nathan Fyfe: There are so many classy midfielders in the Dockers' midfield but I've chosen Fyfe because he oozes class. Fyfe has been terrific this season despite a two week ban which rules him out for the Brownlow that I thought he could potentially win. Another solid 23 disposals in his return on the weekend means that he continues to easily win the footy and show that he was a bargain pick in the 2009 draft.

Prediction
Well Freo are a very good team, and we need to be completely on our game to keep the margin respectable. There is a very very low chance of a win so I suppose it would have to be all about respect and development. Let's hope we can continue to build a good structure which can potentially hold up against good teams such as the Hawthorns, the Geelongs and the Sydneys of the League.

Oct 5, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't expect a massive win, our gamestyle generally doesn't allow for large margins, just 30-40 points and keep our opponent at bay all day. That said it will be interesting to see how you guys cope with the incessant pressure that freo applies. Hoping for a good contest, no more injuries to either side (please!!).

question -

> Who do you think Jordie McKenzie will tag? Better suited to a Mundy or a Fyfe?

Even when we were 'good' we struggled to win in Perth. Don't think we'll trouble the Dockers, give me some intensity similar to last weekend's game and I can live with it. More than ten goals is not acceptable though.

We've always been able to pull a few wins out of our arse over there though. 1998 and 2002 spring to mind, while I still remember rolling them in the wet many years back (seems like 3 decades ago now!) but it's been a while since we truly got close over there.

I don't think it will be a spanking as Freo has some quality players missing, and if we put in an effort like last week we will be in it long enough for it to be a decent contest.

Dockers by 6 goals.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
We've always been able to pull a few wins out of our arse over there though. 1998 and 2002 spring to mind, while I still remember rolling them in the wet many years back (seems like 3 decades ago now!) but it's been a while since we truly got close over there.

I don't think it will be a spanking as Freo has some quality players missing, and if we put in an effort like last week we will be in it long enough for it to be a decent contest.

Dockers by 6 goals.

I feel 1998 was the best year that I have seen. We had a reasonable interstate record and I felt we were a great chance for a premiership but were robbed by that unfair top 8 system of 1 vs 8 ect. We thumped Adelaide, and then St Kilda and had a 6 day break against north. But Adelaide managed to knock off the higher placed Sydney so they got more of a break.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hope Davey has a good game with more of the same from the weekend, but after that showing, I imagine Lyon will have a tag lined up for him.

Not really sure who else Crowley could go to. Bail?

I feel 1998 was the best year that I have seen. We had a reasonable interstate record and I felt we were a great chance for a premiership but were robbed by that unfair top 8 system of 1 vs 8 ect. We thumped Adelaide, and then St Kilda and had a 6 day break against north. But Adelaide managed to knock off the higher placed Sydney so they got more of a break.

Don't even get me started on it! It still makes me mad to this day! Was a super year though, still pull out the old highlights video from time to time as well! :)

Don't even get me started on it! It still makes me mad to this day! Was a super year though, still pull out the old highlights video from time to time as well! :)

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
> Who do you think Jordie McKenzie will tag? Better suited to a Mundy or a Fyfe?

Mundy I'd think, although they can both win their own ball or play on the outside. McKenzie doesn't have the pace to go with the winger types. Could get Barlow?

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Jones of the N variety.

Could do, I guess.

Is De Boer still used as a tagger? Davey's the best kick in the side so I can't see Lyon not giving him a bit of attention.

Hope Davey has a good game with more of the same from the weekend, but after that showing, I imagine Lyon will have a tag lined up for him.

You serious? Crowley will tag Jones, no doubt about it.

Mar 17, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Rockets
Is De Boer still used as a tagger? Davey's the best kick in the side so I can't see Lyon not giving him a bit of attention.

Usually forward tags the opposition's best rebounding defender but kept Jobe Watson to 20 touches a few weeks back, so I think Davey is a good candidate.

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

Dockers by 6 goals.

I reckon in 2010 we pushed the Dockers pretty hard towards the end of the year, there was so much promise back then!

Getting thrashed by over 10 goals this week would be poor given the Dockers usually don't smash teams with their game plan. Who knows maybe we can stick around again this week like against the Tigers. You're 6 goal loss will hopefully be pretty close to the mark.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
You serious? Crowley will tag Jones, no doubt about it.

Coin flip for me between Jones and Davey. Jones will still get possies with a tag - might not be that clean, but will still get a few. Davey will barely get a touch with a tag, but can probably do a job with just about any joe blow instead of sending Crowley to him.

Coin flip for me between Jones and Davey. Jones will still get possies with a tag - might not be that clean, but will still get a few. Davey will barely get a touch with a tag, but can probably do a job with just about any joe blow instead of sending Crowley to him.

I loved Davey's game last week but he got to run around as he pleased for the first half. Freo don't need to waste Crowley on him they can just give Davey an appointment who plays tight and it will shut him down IMO. Jones requires a good tagger.

Edit: re read your post and you already said that, derp.

Mar 17, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Rockets

It will definitely be Jones. Tagged him in both games last year.

I bloody well hope Lyon has a tagger for Davey.

Aaron is coming off his first good game since about 2009, and Bail is possibly the worst player in our team.

Not sure how you've drawn these conclusions.

couldhavebeen

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2012
success
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth lyncs
I'm hoping that we all get to see a good contest from your players and there isn't a big margin as we all want to see good footy
All the best for the game . May the best team win and the umpires let the game flow and not be noticed
by making poor decisions either way:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back