Review Fremantle vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

beetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Spurr was made to look a bit ordinary by Garlett on a couple of occasions. Lyon seemed to indicate they were trying new things structurally which may have contributed, but we haven't really solved the small forward issue we've had ever since Roger ascended. I wonder if Grey might have a future in that role.

Spurr always struggles against the nippy small forwards.

Spurr was made to look a bit ordinary by Garlett on a couple of occasions. Lyon seemed to indicate they were trying new things structurally which may have contributed, but we haven't really solved the small forward issue we've had ever since Roger ascended. I wonder if Grey might have a future in that role.
Has definitely been our Achilles heel, we often get burnt by oppo small forwards. Duff (Ibbo when required) generally breaks even but Spurr gets exposed a little too often with the really clever skilled ones (Wingard, Rioli, Betts, McGlynn etc). I love Spurr for his hardness and the players clearly rate his leadership, but it is his major shortcoming.

Went to school with Rog, one of the hardest working blokes you will ever see and one of the best blokes too. His brother probably had more flair but Rog had the work ethic. He still looks a million bucks if you see him down at the club. He extracted every drop of talent he possessed. Agreed we have been vulnerable since he hung up the boots.

beetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Has definitely been our Achilles heel, we often get burnt by oppo small forwards. Duff (Ibbo when required) generally breaks even but Spurr gets exposed a little too often with the really clever skilled ones (Wingard, Rioli, Betts, McGlynn etc). I love Spurr for his hardness and the players clearly rate his leadership, but it is his major shortcoming.

Went to school with Rog, one of the hardest working blokes you will ever see and one of the best blokes too. His brother probably had more flair but Rog had the work ethic. He still looks a million bucks if you see him down at the club. He extracted every drop of talent he possessed. Agreed we have been vulnerable since he hung up the boots.

Enter Brady Grey?

Enter Brady Grey?
I think Grey is the heir apparent, probably to Duff more so than Spurr though (although Sheridan seems to be being moulded for the Duff role). I think with Spurry it comes back to his leadership and hardness, his willingness to sit in the hole and put his body on the line (Hence his penchant for providing a step ladder at times, too many times really!) He does the team things and is obviously a strong team man. However, if he keeps getting carved up consistently he may make way, but it all comes back to RTB and his team first, team defence approach. I think Grey would only come in if Spurr hit a really rough patch of form.

beetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think Grey is the heir apparent, probably to Duff more so than Spurr though (although Sheridan seems to be being moulded for the Duff role). I think with Spurry it comes back to his leadership and hardness, his willingness to sit in the hole and put his body on the line (Hence his penchant for providing a step ladder at times, too many times really!) He does the team things and is obviously a strong team man. However, if he keeps getting carved up consistently he may make way, but it all comes back to RTB and his team first, team defence approach. I think Grey would only come in if Spurr hit a really rough patch of form.

Duff's role is going to need an outside player with elite skills so yeah Sheridan. From what I've gathered about Grey is that he is a crash and bash typical lock down stingy defender.

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
Duff's role is going to need an outside player with elite skills so yeah Sheridan. From what I've gathered about Grey is that he is a crash and bash typical lock down stingy defender.

Grey is not shy about pushing forward. He possesses a physicality Duffield had only read about in books

Duff is quite a unique prospect to have to replace really. I agree with the idea that the role requires that outside element and elite skills, but Duff also has that stingy-ness, lock down feather to his cap also. Hard to find that mix of the two, this is what makes Duff such a crucial part of the backline set up as it stands for mine.

However, Tommy can develop that lock down ability over time and Grey sounds as though he already has an element of flair perhaps lacking in Spurr from what I have read and heard about him.

That said, still rate Spurr highly, just don't love him one on one against really slick small forwards.

Grey is not shy about pushing forward. He possesses a physicality Duffield had only read about in books
Loved this!

When Duff is finished with those books, can he pass them on to Tabs??

Agenfrida

Club Legend
Sep 28, 2014
Parts unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
It might be because Garlett is actually a pretty good player. Some of the opposition are just going to play well and beat their man each week. I don't think it would have mattered who we put on him, TBH.

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals
I was at the game and Spurr struggled because he let Garlett either get behind him or lost sight of him. The other thing to notice is that the small forwards that we struggle with are the ones that ALSO push up into the midfield and then come back into the forward line.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
First time seeing the lads live for the year. Some impressions:
  • Our midfield are massive, both literally & figuratively;
  • The simple things are quite often the best. When we get the ball out move it forward quickly it's a delight to watch, but when we get too fancy & fiddle around with the ball (which we did particularly in the middle quarters) the ball's crying out to be turned over;
  • Fyfe one on one is unplayable. He is on another level. I don't mind admitting it, but in the third quarter when he took a mark over his opponent on the southern wing and took a couple of bounces running towards where I was sitting on the 50m line, framed by the afternoon sunlight, I got a semi;
  • There were quite a few instances of players slipping over & dropped marks that you'd expect to be taken. Maybe due to the local conditions (slipping especially);
  • Couple of instances of our backline looking a bit lost when the ball was coming in - not looking at the ball or positioning themselves properly. Best example was the Spurr stepladder for Garlett. Other times though we attacked the ball & got good value - Suban (I think) in the last quarter was one example;
  • Speaking of Garlett, when he missed that sitter in the third the way that both Melbourne players & supporters dropped their heads you knew the game was over for them;
  • I liked Tabs taking the angry pills;
  • Hardly noticed Barlow yet he had 30+ touches. Kinda like that about his game;
  • Thought I saw us with 82% disposal efficiency on the scoreboard after the game. Doesn't seem right given point 2 above but great if it was;
  • Kick to kick on the 'G is awesome but bloody dangerous. Many a young kid got falconed. The MCG staff should play some Funniest Home Videos sound effects over the PA for added value. Liked the bloke who sprinted to the centre square only to stop & touch the rope (old mate on security was bracing in vain for a tackle), he gave great effort;
  • Melbourne supporters believe that quite a few of our players "should get bloody haircuts". Great to see that they're concerned about the appearance of our players;
  • More second half Sutcliffe would be good;
  • Loved Chopper's game;
  • Lastly - kudos to Melbourne for using Hells Bells pre-game.
Think that's it...
My mum texted me while I was at the match (I think she was watching in sympathy or something). Her message was that those silly Freo players would all be much more comfortable with all that hair out of their eyes - so if you could pass that one on to the club I'm sure Ma would be grateful. She also had decided her favourite player is Jack Watts because he is a 'nice, honest boy'.

Needless to say her tipping record over the years isn't exactly worth writing home about.

Frank J Moose

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2012
Brownes Stadium
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Buffalo
It might be because Garlett is actually a pretty good player. Some of the opposition are just going to play well and beat their man each week. I don't think it would have mattered who we put on him, TBH.
Garlett had four opportunities for the game. He outmarked Sutcliffe is a 1 on 1 when Sutcliffe backed into him. He outmarked Spurr (great mark) when Ross was trying a different defensive structure. He missed a soda when he "worked" his opponent under the ball (sometimes that would be a free against) and one other i can't recall although with 7k and 6 marks must have been from a mark. He had a good game because he made the most of very limited chances. Spurr was not taken to the cleaners by him as people on here would have us believe. Garlett had no impact at all at ground level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe, but can he deliver a hug like Duffman?

Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not enough Lachie love for mine. Kicked 2 goals, saved 1 on the goal line and a DE of 96% from 15 kicks and 10 handballs. He was clean and neat in the 2nd quarter when many weren't.

I'd also like to point out that Greg Denham wrote in this morning's Australian that the lack of a free to Sonny was the worst umpiring decision of the weekend. A little different to the terms "ducking" and "sliding" that I have seen used elsewhere.

I would like to see all incidents that result in significant head damage being assessed by the tribunal. Not that I think that this incident is deserving of penalty, but I think it is an obvious process control that the AFL should implement. I think Swallow's head high tackle by Stratton that resulted in Swallow being subbed should also be assessed.

beetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not enough Lachie love for mine. Kicked 2 goals, saved 1 on the goal line and a DE of 96% from 15 kicks and 10 handballs. He was clean and neat in the 2nd quarter when many weren't.

I'd also like to point out that Greg Denham wrote in this morning's Australian that the lack of a free to Sonny was the worst umpiring decision of the weekend. A little different to the terms "ducking" and "sliding" that I have seen used elsewhere.

I would like to see all incidents that result in significant head damage being assessed by the tribunal. Not that I think that this incident is deserving of penalty, but I think it is an obvious process control that the AFL should implement. I think Swallow's head high tackle by Stratton that resulted in Swallow being subbed should also be assessed.

Agree Neale was excellent.

Gossage called it a Fyfe / Neale quinella for the Brownlow. Starting to think the silly bugger might not be far off!

Tabs read it at half time yesterday .
Might have had a quick skim through. One ripped shirt does not a Suban make...

Redgum

All Australian
Oct 5, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Freo Footy Club
I don't think Grey is a replacement for Duff ,he is too short being only 180cm, 2 cm shorter than even Spurr. He would be an ideal replacement for Spurr.

Agreed. Although Duff's name coming up is more about a spot becoming available. If he is waiting for Spurry's he will be waiting a long time yet. Spurr is 27, Duff is 30. Spurr's spot isn't up for grabs anytime soon.

ozzie69

All Australian
Jun 28, 2013
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Agreed. Although Duff's name coming up is more about a spot becoming available. If he is waiting for Spurry's he will be waiting a long time yet. Spurr is 27, Duff is 30. Spurr's spot isn't up for grabs anytime soon.
I'd really like to see Tommy Sheridan slip into Duff's role over the next year or so - he has the speed to give us the run from defence/match small forwards and I believe the kicking skills to clear the ball from defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back