Unofficial Preview Fremantle vs Port Adelaide - Key Areas\Matchups

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
Crowley vs Gray - Gray had probably not had this much attention in his career, but is also a great forward. If he plays in the forward pocket does Crowley stay with him?

Surely is Gray stays forward all day that is a win for us?

Dawson, Johnson and Silvagni vs Westoff and Schultz - If left one on one or when on the lead they are a tough match up but if we can slow the movement of the ball and get numbers back I can not see either Westoff or Schultz kicking a bag.

The midfield - Ebert, Boak, Gray, Wingard and co vs Hill, Neale, Mzungu, Mundy and co - Freo must break even, win centre clearence and protect our back 6. If we allow easy centre clearence the pressure on the back 6 may be too much.

Subiaco - Long and Narrow - Our Zone is very effective at Subi, but we can not allow them over the back we will be in trouble .

Our forward line - On par with any forward line in the comp, we have 6 dangerous forwards all capable of scoring and if we can move the ball quickly we will score. Port have a number of very good rebuounders so Crozier, Mayne and co will need to make sure they are not given too much space.

Wingard - Has not been in the best form of late, but simply can not be allow to run free. Expect somebody to run with him all day.

6 day break vs 8 day break - We have been appalling after coming off 6 day breaks.

Which Port - Ports form has been poor the last 6-7 weeks, but they finally have their full team on the park which means their structures are much better. Freo will not allow them to rebound through the middle but if they can out run or switch the ball effectively we could be in trouble.

Pavlich - I think he was rested, but their is a chance he will not get up. I can not see him missing such an important game.

White - He is a very important line breaker for port, but has been injured lately. Normally Mzungu could go to him, but he will be needed in the midfield. It is very important he does not get goal side of his opponent.

Note: Try to keep this discussion away from who is playing and more to key match ups and what we need to do to win the game.

Crowley vs Gray - Gray had probably not had this much attention in his career, but is also a great forward. If he plays in the forward pocket does Crowley stay with him?

Surely is Gray stays forward all day that is a win for us?

Dawson, Johnson and Silvagni vs Westoff and Schultz - If left one on one or when on the lead they are a tough match up but if we can slow the movement of the ball and get numbers back I can not see either Westoff or Schultz kicking a bag.

The midfield - Ebert, Boak, Gray, Wingard and co vs Hill, Neale, Mzungu, Mundy and co - Freo must break even, win centre clearence and protect our back 6. If we allow easy centre clearence the pressure on the back 6 may be too much.

Subiaco - Long and Narrow - Our Zone is very effective at Subi, but we can not allow them over the back we will be in trouble .

Our forward line - On par with any forward line in the comp, we have 6 dangerous forwards all capable of scoring and if we can move the ball quickly we will score. Port have a number of very good rebuounders so Crozier, Mayne and co will need to make sure they are not given too much space.

Wingard - Has not been in the best form of late, but simply can not be allow to run free. Expect somebody to run with him all day.

6 day break vs 8 day break - We have been appalling after coming off 6 day breaks.

Which Port - Ports form has been poor the last 6-7 weeks, but they finally have their full team on the park which means their structures are much better. Freo will not allow them to rebound through the middle but if they can out run or switch the ball effectively we could be in trouble.

Pavlich - I think he was rested, but their is a chance he will not get up. I can not see him missing such an important game.

White - He is a very important line breaker for port, but has been injured lately. Normally Mzungu could go to him, but he will be needed in the midfield. It is very important he does not get goal side of his opponent.

Note: Try to keep this discussion away from who is playing and more to key match ups and what we need to do to win the game.

Ruck duals?

Hartlett is a key matchup, along with Gray he's been killing it lately.

I doubt Crowley will go to Gray. Last time I think he took Polec, but Polec has been down on form lately. I expect Mzungu to run with Hartlett but I don't know who Crowley will tag.

Confession; I enjoy watching Port play. It is a bit akin to watching Ballantyne and Walters. They have pace, attitude and skill. It is going to be a very exciting game.

I was at the game in Adelaide, and they fed off the crowd. I have a feeling our supporters are going to repay that with interest this week.

I have an expectation that we are going to bring much pressure to this game. Without 2 of our 3 Kings, the game against Brisbane gave our players the clear knowledge that it needs an all team effort to apply that kind of pressure.

Regarding Crowley, I don't like him following a player of the ilk of Gray into their forward line. Ports have a few other midfielders who will step up without effecting their structures, and Gray is a very decent and dangerous forward.

I wonder who we do plan on playing on Grey. I expect Spurr to play on Wingard. Pretty scary if we are relying on someone like Ibbotson or Duffield to contain Gray, they aren't really the lock-down type. I guess Sutty?

Sutcliffe wins his own ball. He's very good on the counter attack generally. He'll be given a huge role this week.
Who have they got to counter Balla's and son-son ? We lose goalkickers in Fyfe & Barlow, but we probably gain 5/6 goals with Balla'a and son-son.

Regarding Crowley, I don't like him following a player of the ilk of Gray into their forward line. Ports have a few other midfielders who will step up without effecting their structures, and Gray is a very decent and dangerous forward.
So is steve johnson, and ablett when he plays there.

Crowley is the most obvious match up for gray as he's now got a bit of experience defending these guys in the forward line.

Was actually thinking de boer could be a good match up for gray, leaving crowley for hartlett. Not sure how matty would go defending in the backline though.

Will be interesting in any case.

Sutcliffe wins his own ball. He's very good on the counter attack generally. He'll be given a huge role this week.
Who have they got to counter Balla's and son-son ? We lose goalkickers in Fyfe & Barlow, but we probably gain 5/6 goals with Balla'a and son-son.

I am a big fan of Suttcliffe, hiw work rate and line breaking ability is nearing on eilte but problem with him is his decision making sometimes. Gets caught out when there is more than one option up ahead and fluffs it up. Can't afford that against Port who will make you pay on the counter. If he can clean that side of his game up he will be one of the best half backs in the game.

Agree with Mzungu on Hartlett. Key player for them.

Would prefer Crozier on Hartlett, give him the role and let him hurt him on the rebound. Mzungu is needed in the midfield to win the ball and Hartlett plays on the back flank. Would be happy with Mzungu to run with White

Ruck duals?

Part of the midfield ;) - Sandi needs to feed the ball to Mundy and co, expect Cornes to go with Mundy.

The'll have no one that can match up on Tabs fitness wise while they'll be trying to double team Pav. ;)

Is Hombsch their small defender that would take Ballas or Walters?
Hombsch isn't small though, if they drop him for Impey to try and use his speed to lock out Ballantyne again then it could present a win for us as our other forwards will be competing against a smaller body and Ballantyne won't let him drift into third man marks like Carlton did.

impey will go to balla's toweled him last game, held back from sanfl this week as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would prefer Crozier on Hartlett, give him the role and let him hurt him on the rebound. Mzungu is needed in the midfield to win the ball and Hartlett plays on the back flank. Would be happy with Mzungu to run with White

Hartlett kicked 4 goals a couple of weeks back and has 19 for the season in 18 games, fair to say he plays all over the ground.

This is key for me. If White plays, then White, Gray, Polec and Hartlett (surprisingly quick) will cause us serious problems if Port can move the ball quickly by foot and these guys can run and carry.

Re: Crowley, I think Gray is too quick and agile. I realise Crowley can and has stopped guys like Stevie J and Isacc Smith, but i'd rather he goes to Boak. Boak is his bitch and has been for a while now. Doesn't play like a pure inside mid either.

One thing that worries me is the form that Trengove showed coming back on Friday night. He was absolutely elite by foot coming out of their 50 and was all over the ground as well. Now that Tabs is in the side, I would say to Mayne: do not stray more than 5 metres from him when Port has the ball in their backline.

I wonder who we do plan on playing on Grey. I expect Spurr to play on Wingard. Pretty scary if we are relying on someone like Ibbotson or Duffield to contain Gray, they aren't really the lock-down type. I guess Sutty?

I think if Pav is fit Mayne will go back and play on Wingard> He is a much better match-up than Spurr IMO and with Tabs and Crozier both near certainties to stay in the team I think it makes sense in terms of team structure. Id then play Sutcliffe on Grey when he is forward and go with the head to head match-up of Hilly when Grey is on ball. Personally, I think if we win it will be one of our greatest victories. We you look at the Port midfield they look superb. Our pressure will have to be at our absolute best for us to win.

I have no doubts Pav will get up. He obviously had some tightness at training due to the strapping, if he had done any damage he wouldn't of flown over and did the warm-up. I expect him to line up this week no worries.

impey will go to balla's toweled him last game, held back from sanfl this week as well
He towelled him up because Freo had no other dangerous small forward.

This time will be a different matter with Walters back and Crozier in good form.

What about Crowley to Hartlett?

Mundy/Barlow (if he gets up) to play head-to-head with Boak.

Not sure who will go to Gray...Mzungu?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back