Review Fremantle vs Port Adelaide - Trial Match 2 @ Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of the above is due to a slight tweak in our style by the intent to move the ball quicker , bring it thru the corridor , the problem is we are stuffing up trying to do it, Players are not giving themselves sufficient time and space or aren't fluent in naturally playing on. As such there fluffing the kick, having it smothered (Teakle's smothered kick when quickly playing on , cost another goal), running themselves into trouble , selling others into trouble or getting caught in the process of quick play on as above.

Changing the style even slightly will take time and adjustment unfortunately the season may slip away before they click.

It should be instinctive for a forward to lead but any natural instincts our players had has been coached out of them by Hinkley.
While its true that it should be instinctive, the idea of a forward structure being a team within the team is sound , in the same way as defence's talk this idea up. I remember attending training during Chocs tenure and saw the level of detail spent on the forward structure, with players being instructed to block for there fellow forwards by various methods. They would subtly run across the line of the defender , run in tandem to provide coverage for the lead forward etc. Smalls would be setup front and square with the tall's drilled in bringing it down to critical spots etc.

Maybe this stuff happens at training (no longer attend) but its not apparent as yet during gameday , Marshall MG Dixon have played together for long enuf now to have a better understanding , maybe the depart of Gray has cause some confusion.

Interesting to see natural instincts of Evans as a forward doing the basics , case of not trying to turn someone into something there not ie McEntee from a mid to a forward , Boak to a half forward etc.

Would be interesting to be a fly on the wall and hear what Chad was instructing, hopefully its better then just be instinctive and flair orientated which perhaps was the way he played.

Agreed, it's not rocket science particularly with the 3 tall set up we have, where one forward should always move towards the ball carrier while the 2nd can do a dummy lead both to create space and drag another defender away, allowing the 3rd to either drop into the hole behind them or be a chance to be one out in or near the goal square with the Fantasia and Rioli types lurking in the vicinity.

This static BS where too often all 3 tend to clog the 20 metre area in front of the goals and Georgiades tries to take speccies only results in occasional scores and makes life way too easy for oppo defenders.
One forward - usually the tall KPF - lead up the corridor, or to the hotspot, etc.
One forward leads toward the ball carrier - unless the ball carrier is in the corridor, then they need to dummy somewhere to make space for the FF.
Another either leads to the far side where space is, tracks back to the goalsquare, or follows the KPF for any potential crumbs.

At Port, all three fly together from a standstill.

To say it isn't rocket science is to undersell how basic it is to work a forwardline better than Ports can. It's not even primary school times tables.

While its true that it should be instinctive, the idea of a forward structure being a team within the team is sound , in the same way as defence's talk this idea up. I remember attending training during Chocs tenure and saw the level of detail spent on the forward structure, with players being instructed to block for there fellow forwards by various methods. They would subtly run across the line of the defender , run in tandem to provide coverage for the lead forward etc. Smalls would be setup front and square with the tall's drilled in bringing it down to critical spots etc.

Maybe this stuff happens at training (no longer attend) but its not apparent as yet during gameday , Marshall MG Dixon have played together for long enuf now to have a better understanding , maybe the depart of Gray has cause some confusion.

Interesting to see natural instincts of Evans as a forward doing the basics , case of not trying to turn someone into something there not ie McEntee from a mid to a forward , Boak to a half forward etc.

Would be interesting to be a fly on the wall and hear what Chad was instructing, hopefully its better then just be instinctive and flair orientated which perhaps was the way he played.
Also you have forwards like Dixon who get their waters muddied by now having to be the ruck, or take ruck duties when the ball is in the 50, which is not exclusive to Port in fairness. If Charlie is in the 50 and there's a loose footy, is he thinking as part of the forwards, or part of the midfield?

What's your point? Everyone knows you have to be 3-4 goals better in WA to make up for the dodgy umpiring calls.

The same thing would happen in a grand final if we ever got there by the way.

No excuses, be better.
It assumes as well that we goal if not for umpire intervention - a very bold assumption.

It assumes as well that we goal if not for umpire intervention - a very bold assumption.

I don’t think that was the direct assumption made. It was more that Freo may not have scored….

The umpires need a preseason as much as the players. This combined with the reporting that the umpire talent pool was extremely small and unable to support 4 field umpires means we will have to put up with strange calls for some time.

The problem is, in a billion dollar professional sport, the amateurish nature of the umpiring should not be acceptable, but you know, AFL….

The umpiring in the couple of moments in the other games I watched this weekend also had me scratching my head - so in my opinion it wasn’t just the Port - Freo game.

But I also agree with the numerous other comments, the umpiring wasn’t the reason the game was lost, that solely lies with the players and coaching.

It's time to investigate umpiring by drone.
3 off field adjudicators....3 red buttons.....2/3 red buttons pressed....siren sounds.... free awarded by loud speaker.

Went back and watched the Kayo mini-game.

Wines had next to no impact, but he obviously had minutes managed and kept out of the centre. Hopefully that’s just part of him building up towards full health and not a sign of things to come for the season.

He goes back onball and full health and we are a different team. The flip side and he takes a while to get back and this team has a really bad year.

Gameday it was obvious, but gee going back and watching .. if votes were handed out you would give Darcy the 3 votes. Yep. Over Fyfe, over their mids

He just destroyed lycett and gave his mids a cakewalk.

Teakles performance was probably the worst I’ve ever seen in a Port guernsey.

Our defence was utterly and completely inept. We looked like we couldn’t have stopped a drunk soccer hooligan from kicking goals in a sport he doesn’t understand.

Disorganised, the talls couldn’t beat any of their men. Just a shambles.

Forward line was a mess. It resembles Auskickers running around. Just pure chaos.

I don’t know whether evans is good enough, but at least he’s a natural forward. You can tell the difference between guys like orazio and evans and the guys we shoehorn into the forward line.

The jones experiment is an utter failure so far.

In fact, in any other team his brash high effort running would be an asset next to their mids in a system that wasn’t already chaos.

Adding jones to our midfield is just adding chaos to more chaos and expecting to find order. He’s absolutely not the type we need to put in there with who we have, in the gameplan we have. He’s going to look very good in there in moments here and there…. but it’s still the wrong thing to do right now.

Horne-Francis was very very good. Go back and some of his work was very impressive. Lost in that horrendous teakle goal assist to the opposition is the fact that jhf sped past several players covering half the field to force a turnover that should have been an easy disposal and retained possession for us if the ball had landed in anyone else’s hands but teakle at the time.

Freos backline is very very good. They are going to keep freo in games this year. Such a good mix of players and guys who can beat their man.

Jase’s progress while being built like a 12 year old girl is nothing short of amazing. His Number 1 quality= makes time slow down and can make good decisions and 360o movement and awareness.

Bergman has IT. Just about the most multi-skilled complete player you will ever find. we aren’t talking about him in the rozee butters jhf camp , but we should be.

Rozee and Spp will have very good years again.

I’m concerned about butters, we saw again all the talent in the world, but they seemed to hold him back in this game. Is his body going to let him play the way he does often enough? I hope it was just precautionary / fitness building rather than already having physical niggles.

Darcy serong Brodie Brayshaw is as good an onball group as you could hope for. That midfield could trouble anyone.

The health of wines and butters going into the year is going to decide whether we finish 5th or 15th, but regardless of where we finish we’ve seen enough to know that the same things we’ve been flagging for ages will cost us in games that matter again. At best we’re also-rans unless Hinkley has some wake-up call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone confused about questionable umpiring decisions will be even more confused when they are called in season as they are the new interpretations of the rules
There are areas in the AFL rules now where it's not that the rules are questionable (they are technically correct) but they are just not intuitive when watching or even understandable on replay without a commentator's explanation. And it has expanded from ruck where rules are ever changing and 90% of the time I don't know why a whistle has blown. For a while the newish 'out of bounds' rules, first 'deliberate' then 'insufficient intent' muddied the water. But I think my brain has these programmed in now and the decisions make sense. However now I find the umpiring decisions around players standing a mark and exclusion zones around the mark as impenetrable as ruck rules. I think about that a bit, how several times a season I have to come home and find out via replay, media or whatever why a decision was made. Was it always thus? Or was there a golden era where footy was just simple? I'm guessing no but let's not spoil a story.

I remember a long while ago now we used to train and work on our decision making under pressure. There'd be simulations and footage etc. It just seems like we make very dumb decisions all around now. Our strategy is clearly.bomb it in to our forwards. Which I guess is a variation of "bomb it to Dixon" but we just bomb it whoever. Surely this is a failsafe strategy at best? If we are doing this because we are worried about being picked off and scored against on the rebound, I'd argue it's having the exact opposite effect. My evidence that the players are being directed to play this way is because we only came.good last season when we were forced into changes due to injury and consecutive losses. Hinkley and co never had Rozee in the middle until they had no other options and we would have continued to bomb it to Dixon all season long if we didn't loose him and then loose games kicking to his ghost and finally decided to make Marshall a focus.

I liked Evans but the reality is the sting was out the game from Freo when he cameo'd & Todd took a mark inside 50.

Hanging onto that as some huge positive is wing and a prayer stuff.
Yep the 4th quarter meant nothing. The first half when both teams were going for it said all we needed to know. That first term the game was played 100% on our terms and we didn't even go in ahead at qtr time. It's a real concern.

I liked Evans but the reality is the sting was out the game from Freo when he cameo'd & Todd took a mark inside 50.

Hanging onto that as some huge positive is wing and a prayer stuff.

Give Credit where credit is due: other players who came on late did not have the impact Evans had.
And that includes the Canon who kicked his gaol after receiving a handball from Frank-the-Tank.

Evans kicked two, had a goal assist and then another one touched on the line; hell at one stage I thought he was going to win the game all by himself. Please, please selectors, do wait for an injury to Fanta, at least put him on the bench for Round One.

Watching the full replay and analysing forward 50 entries. Red are entries that were actually s**t:

Q1

17:49 - Horne-Francis delivers inside 50 to Dixon who can't mark. Powell-Pepper goals the resulting crumb.

17:00 - Burton delivers inside 50 - Fantasia gets a hand to the ball but can't control it cleanly, tries to get it to Marshall who also fumbles. No score.
16:30 - Burton switches across the ground to Farrell who delivers a poor kick under pressure inside 50 in between Fantasia close to the 50m arc and Marshall who is probably at around 20-30m. No score.
12:57 - Farrell again kicking inside 50 delivering short to Powell-Pepper in a one on one. Not sure why? Ends up as a point.
11:33 - Rozee delivers a bomb inside 50 to Dixon - no score
10:52 - Houston with a bomb inside 50 to Dixon - no score

9:55 - Duursma with a bomb inside 50 to Dixon, only this time Dixon gets hands to the ball and knocks it down to Rozee - no score
7:40 - Fantasia delivers a bomb inside 50 to Duursma v Henry. Wouldn't call this a bad option, but still - no score
7:03 - Rozee delivers long to Powell-Pepper - both Georgiades and Marshall are in the wrong position (i.e. not at the fall of the ball) - no score.
6:40 - Rozee delivers to Georgiades on the lead who simply just drops the mark - Burgoyne winds up with the ball - no score.
4:35 - Dixon soccers ball off the ground inside 50 to a one-on-one - no score
3:11 - Fantasia receives a free kick off the ball inside 50. Goals.
2:30 - Farrell delivers a bomb to Dixon - no score.
2:12 - Bergman intercepts and delivers long to Marshall in a 2 on 1 - Marshall gets his hand to the ball but can't control it and can't direct it to McEntee who is also there - scores a point.

14 inside 50s for 14 points. Going a exactly 1 point per inside 50. 4 of the 14 inside 50s (28.6%) I would call bad options.

Q2

A little cameo from Hornet to start with:

19:42 - the first of many bullshit calls against Horne-Francis for over the shoulder. Brayshaw drops the knees like a campaigner and gets unjustly rewarded.
17:54 - the second of many bullshit calls against Horne-Francis - this one apparently he held his man even though he's falling over and ends up on the ground? This stops Port from getting a centre clearance.
17:02 - Jason "I don't chase" Horne-Francis does what he apparently doesn't do and receives a free kick for a chase down and holding the ball.

Okay, let's get back to the inside 50s:

16:00 - Powell-Pepper kicks from outside 50 and it ends up in a goal.
13:20 - Drew delivers long to Dixon in a one-on-one with Pearce - I'd say this was actually a good option and a match conditioned Dixon would have marked it as he had Pearce dead to rights. No score.
12:53 - As opposed to this s**t entry by Drew, who just kicks it to a mass of players after the turn over when a bit more thought would have seen Rozee wide open.
12:09 - Butters delivers deep to Dixon in another one-on-one with Pearce. Apparently Pearce has this magical ability to look straight at Dixon and grab his arm but it's not a free kick. This was a good inside 50 and should have been a shot on goal.

1678438613257.png
10:37 - Wines delivers to Bergman inside 50. Goals.
10:04 - Teakle bombs inside 50 to a mass of players when a handball over the top to Horne-Francis or across to Bergman would have been the better option. If this guy thought he was playing in R1...he's not.
9:38 - Marshall just hits and hopes with a kick inside 50 into a crowded forward line. Not a whole lot you can do in this scenario.
7:28 - Butters kicks to McEntee in a 2 on 1 (not sure why?) at true centre half forward. No score.
6:39 - Butters delivers to Rozee who marks just inside 50. Rozee plays on and kicks a point.
4:34 - Powell-Pepper soccers the ball inside 50 but it goes out of bounds and is called deliberate.

3:39 - Horne-Francis delivers a bullet pass inside 50...straight to a Fremantle player.
2:57 - Powell-Pepper delivers a bomb to Dixon in a one-on-one. Now it's Taberner who has this magic ability not to give away a free kick even though he's got both arms wrapped around Dixon in a ******* bear hug. Again, a good inside 50 and this should have been a shot on goal.

1678440015819.png

2:17 - Powell-Pepper sends a chaos ball inside 50 - since this ended up with Bergman having a clear time to think but just didn't execute properly I can't call this 'bad' - it just didn't come off. With more actual match time I reckon this ends up being a goal or at least a point.
1:50 - Bergman delivers to Dixon in a one-on-one but cooks the kick too much.

14 inside 50s for 13 points. Under a point per inside 50 is bad, but those two blatant free kicks to Dixon would have seen a better return. 5 of the inside 50s I would call bad options (35.7%)

Q3

For some reason the clock is now counting up...but whatever.

Back to Hornet watch:

Another bullshit free kick - this time for holding the ball when he was the only one actually trying to win it. That makes three of the four umpires that have actively ****ed his ass this game.

1:50 - Georgiades soccers the ball inside 50 - no score results.

Clock now back to counting down...

17:22 - Horne-Francis kicks long and probably should have had a shot on goal in this instance. Ends up in a point.
16:37 - Jones delivers to Powell-Pepper just on the 50. Powell-Pepper fumbles the mark allowing the defender to knock it away.
15:36 - Fantasia rolls off the mark and bombs long to Georgiades, Powell-Pepper and Marshall. The resulting stoppage ends up in a point to Duursma.
13:09 - Horne-Francis runs inside 50 and kicks a point. Guess he learned from his previous mistake.

12:44 - Rozee delivers inside 50 to Marshall who for some unexplained reason goes up with one hand instead of two. Delivery was fine, the basic skills weren't.
10:15 - Excellent delivery from Horne-Francis to Georgiades who fumbles the mark on the lead.
8:23 - Another kick inside 50 from Horne-Francis, again to Georgiades. This time Mitch manages to direct the ball down to Fantasia who has a shot on goal that is touched on the line for a point. Personally I reckon this was a goal and in a regular match would have been called for review.
5:57 - Drew to a Dixon-Pearce one-on-one, with Dixon playing in front. Right idea, but too much on the kick - didn't need to bomb it in as Dixon had established front position. Personally I would have liked to have seen Drew pass off to Bergman who was clear and let him deliver the ball.
4:07 - Dixon running inside 50. Goals.
3:45 - Butters takes a ping from 50. Scores a point.

2:53 - Bergman kicks to a contest on the boundary just inside 50. Not a good option. Ends up being a point.
0:25 - Wines delivers inside 50 to Teakle in a one on one but the ball is underhit.

13 inside 50s for 12 points. Again under 1 point per inside 50. The opportunities were there. 4 out of 13 inside 50s (30.7%) were the wrong option.

Q4

18:30 - Evans marks on 50, hands of to McKenzie who kicks from outside 50 for a goal.

17:55 - Horne-Francis runs inside 50, hands off to Evans who hits the post.
17:40 - Jonas delivers a chaos ball inside 50 to Evans who works hard and kicks a goal.
16:30 - Bergman kicks a hit and hope kick inside 50. Getting it in quickly results in catching Fremantle on the hop and Evans kicks another goal.

14:55 - Dixon lace out to Marshall. Marshall kicks a point from the set shot.
13:05 - Bergman marks just outside 50. Plays on quickly but I would have liked for him to actually take another couple of steps and go for goal rather than targeting Powell-Pepper. Ends up in a point.

12:20 - Horne-Francis delivers inside 50 on the run to no one in particular. Rush of blood.
9:41 - Horne-Francis delivers inside 50 to Bergman on the boundary. Bergman fails to score.
8:55 - Burgoyne kicks to Evans on the lead. Evans wheels around and is on target but is touched on the line.
5:58 - Houston forced to kick around the corner inside 50 because Wines can't make a decision.
4:05 - Horne-Francis kicks a grubber ball under pressure into the forward line.
3:13 - Houston bombs inside 50 to no one at all.
2:52 - Jonas delivers inside 50 to Horne-Francis who drops the mark on the lead.

13 inside 50s for 22 points. 1.69 points per inside 50. This is the sort of return we should be expecting. 3 out of 13 inside 50s (23.0%) were what I would consider poor options.

I know the stats will say we had 58 inside 50s but I think they must count boundary throw ins, which I haven't here because they aren't our players delivering the ball.

Attachments

• 1678438545054.png
    1678438545054.png
    121.7 KB · Views: 34
2:57 - Powell-Pepper delivers a bomb to Dixon in a one-on-one. Now it's Taberner who has this magic ability not to give away a free kick even though he's got both arms wrapped around Dixon in a ******* bear hug. Again, a good inside 50 and this should have been a shot on goal.

View attachment 1625871

Thats where forward craft comes into it, reading the flight of the ball, protecting the drop zone by pushing back into your opponent and making a last second move to either take the ball in front of your face or draw a free kick from a beaten defender comes into play.

Watching the full replay and analysing forward 50 entries. Red are entries that were actually s**t:

Q1

17:49 - Horne-Francis delivers inside 50 to Dixon who can't mark. Powell-Pepper goals the resulting crumb.

17:00 - Burton delivers inside 50 - Fantasia gets a hand to the ball but can't control it cleanly, tries to get it to Marshall who also fumbles. No score.
16:30 - Burton switches across the ground to Farrell who delivers a poor kick under pressure inside 50 in between Fantasia close to the 50m arc and Marshall who is probably at around 20-30m. No score.
12:57 - Farrell again kicking inside 50 delivering short to Powell-Pepper in a one on one. Not sure why? Ends up as a point.
11:33 - Rozee delivers a bomb inside 50 to Dixon - no score
10:52 - Houston with a bomb inside 50 to Dixon - no score

9:55 - Duursma with a bomb inside 50 to Dixon, only this time Dixon gets hands to the ball and knocks it down to Rozee - no score
7:40 - Fantasia delivers a bomb inside 50 to Duursma v Henry. Wouldn't call this a bad option, but still - no score
7:03 - Rozee delivers long to Powell-Pepper - both Georgiades and Marshall are in the wrong position (i.e. not at the fall of the ball) - no score.
6:40 - Rozee delivers to Georgiades on the lead who simply just drops the mark - Burgoyne winds up with the ball - no score.
4:35 - Dixon soccers ball off the ground inside 50 to a one-on-one - no score
3:11 - Fantasia receives a free kick off the ball inside 50. Goals.
2:30 - Farrell delivers a bomb to Dixon - no score.
2:12 - Bergman intercepts and delivers long to Marshall in a 2 on 1 - Marshall gets his hand to the ball but can't control it and can't direct it to McEntee who is also there - scores a point.

14 inside 50s for 14 points. Going a exactly 1 point per inside 50. 4 of the 14 inside 50s (28.6%) I would call bad options.

Q2

A little cameo from Hornet to start with:

19:42 - the first of many bullshit calls against Horne-Francis for over the shoulder. Brayshaw drops the knees like a campaigner and gets unjustly rewarded.
17:54 - the second of many bullshit calls against Horne-Francis - this one apparently he held his man even though he's falling over and ends up on the ground? This stops Port from getting a centre clearance.
17:02 - Jason "I don't chase" Horne-Francis does what he apparently doesn't do and receives a free kick for a chase down and holding the ball.

Okay, let's get back to the inside 50s:

16:00 - Powell-Pepper kicks from outside 50 and it ends up in a goal.
13:20 - Drew delivers long to Dixon in a one-on-one with Pearce - I'd say this was actually a good option and a match conditioned Dixon would have marked it as he had Pearce dead to rights. No score.
12:53 - As opposed to this s**t entry by Drew, who just kicks it to a mass of players after the turn over when a bit more thought would have seen Rozee wide open.
12:09 - Butters delivers deep to Dixon in another one-on-one with Pearce. Apparently Pearce has this magical ability to look straight at Dixon and grab his arm but it's not a free kick. This was a good inside 50 and should have been a shot on goal.

View attachment 1625833
10:37 - Wines delivers to Bergman inside 50. Goals.
10:04 - Teakle bombs inside 50 to a mass of players when a handball over the top to Horne-Francis or across to Bergman would have been the better option. If this guy thought he was playing in R1...he's not.
9:38 - Marshall just hits and hopes with a kick inside 50 into a crowded forward line. Not a whole lot you can do in this scenario.
7:28 - Butters kicks to McEntee in a 2 on 1 (not sure why?) at true centre half forward. No score.
6:39 - Butters delivers to Rozee who marks just inside 50. Rozee plays on and kicks a point.
4:34 - Powell-Pepper soccers the ball inside 50 but it goes out of bounds and is called deliberate.

3:39 - Horne-Francis delivers a bullet pass inside 50...straight to a Fremantle player.

View attachment 1625871

2:17 - Powell-Pepper sends a chaos ball inside 50 - since this ended up with Bergman having a clear time to think but just didn't execute properly I can't call this 'bad' - it just didn't come off. With more actual match time I reckon this ends up being a goal or at least a point.
1:50 - Bergman delivers to Dixon in a one-on-one but cooks the kick too much.

14 inside 50s for 13 points. Under a point per inside 50 is bad, but those two blatant free kicks to Dixon would have seen a better return. 5 of the inside 50s I would call bad options (35.7%)

Q3

For some reason the clock is now counting up...but whatever.

Back to Hornet watch:

Another bullshit free kick - this time for holding the ball when he was the only one actually trying to win it. That makes three of the four umpires that have actively ****ed his ass this game.

1:50 - Georgiades soccers the ball inside 50 - no score results.

Clock now back to counting down...

17:22 - Horne-Francis kicks long and probably should have had a shot on goal in this instance. Ends up in a point.
16:37 - Jones delivers to Powell-Pepper just on the 50. Powell-Pepper fumbles the mark allowing the defender to knock it away.
15:36 - Fantasia rolls off the mark and bombs long to Georgiades, Powell-Pepper and Marshall. The resulting stoppage ends up in a point to Duursma.
13:09 - Horne-Francis runs inside 50 and kicks a point. Guess he learned from his previous mistake.

12:44 - Rozee delivers inside 50 to Marshall who for some unexplained reason goes up with one hand instead of two. Delivery was fine, the basic skills weren't.
10:15 - Excellent delivery from Horne-Francis to Georgiades who fumbles the mark on the lead.
8:23 - Another kick inside 50 from Horne-Francis, again to Georgiades. This time Mitch manages to direct the ball down to Fantasia who has a shot on goal that is touched on the line for a point. Personally I reckon this was a goal and in a regular match would have been called for review.
5:57 - Drew to a Dixon-Pearce one-on-one, with Dixon playing in front. Right idea, but too much on the kick - didn't need to bomb it in as Dixon had established front position. Personally I would have liked to have seen Drew pass off to Bergman who was clear and let him deliver the ball.
4:07 - Dixon running inside 50. Goals.
3:45 - Butters takes a ping from 50. Scores a point.

2:53 - Bergman kicks to a contest on the boundary just inside 50. Not a good option. Ends up being a point.
0:25 - Wines delivers inside 50 to Teakle in a one on one but the ball is underhit.

13 inside 50s for 12 points. Again under 1 point per inside 50. The opportunities were there. 4 out of 13 inside 50s (30.7%) were the wrong option.

Q4

18:30 - Evans marks on 50, hands of to McKenzie who kicks from outside 50 for a goal.

17:55 - Horne-Francis runs inside 50, hands off to Evans who hits the post.
17:40 - Jonas delivers a chaos ball inside 50 to Evans who works hard and kicks a goal.
16:30 - Bergman kicks a hit and hope kick inside 50. Getting it in quickly results in catching Fremantle on the hop and Evans kicks another goal.

14:55 - Dixon lace out to Marshall. Marshall kicks a point from the set shot.
13:05 - Bergman marks just outside 50. Plays on quickly but I would have liked for him to actually take another couple of steps and go for goal rather than targeting Powell-Pepper. Ends up in a point.

12:20 - Horne-Francis delivers inside 50 on the run to no one in particular. Rush of blood.
9:41 - Horne-Francis delivers inside 50 to Bergman on the boundary. Bergman fails to score.
8:55 - Burgoyne kicks to Evans on the lead. Evans wheels around and is on target but is touched on the line.
5:58 - Houston forced to kick around the corner inside 50 because Wines can't make a decision.
4:05 - Horne-Francis kicks a grubber ball under pressure into the forward line.
3:13 - Houston bombs inside 50 to no one at all.
2:52 - Jonas delivers inside 50 to Horne-Francis who drops the mark on the lead.

13 inside 50s for 22 points. 1.69 points per inside 50. This is the sort of return we should be expecting. 3 out of 13 inside 50s (23.0%) were what I would consider poor options.

I know the stats will say we had 58 inside 50s but I think they must count boundary throw ins, which I haven't here because they aren't our players delivering the ball.
Confirms what we suspected, we have shitloads of inside 50s, we butcher a shitload of footy inside 50 and what we don’t butcher we kick to contests not helping our player or our forward drops the mark. Rinse and repeat

and when in trouble our bail out kick is to Dixon with 3 on him or too the boundary line.

would love to know the stats of our forward pressure, it just waltzes out of our forward line with little or no pressure.

add this to getting destroyed in ruck, being too short down back. What a season it promises to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back