Review Fremantle vs Port Adelaide - Trial Match 2 @ Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Last year we sleep walked through the pre season and first six rounds.

I wouldn’t say we are asleep this time we just aren’t good enough.

Given the list we have I find that so frustrating.

We experienced too many “lost” seasons where we struggle to win ten games and this year I’m starting to feel that way again this year.

Some teams can cruise these trial games and then flick a switch.
Port can’t do that and their trial game form is a pretty accurate indicator of how they are going.

Last year we were hit by injury to key players early on. Dixon, Aliir, Butters, Duursma, Fantasia, Lycett to name a few had injuries in the first five rounds. There were some excuses for last year's poor start but I do not think there can be any this year.

This year we have almost a full list and we are not firing. I agree there are teams who flick the switch and transition from trial game to match day mode. These tend to be the well disciplined, well drilled teams that have had multiple successes over a number of seasons. They tend to have a set game plan in which each individual player knows where a team mate will be in a crunch situation. As you post we do not have that. We run around like headless bloody chooks looking for someone to give the red hot football to. I guess it gets down to the bloke calling the shots and how well he prepared his charges.

The best thing to happen is we blow out the first half of the season. I genuinely dont think we are any chance round 1, 2 or 5. Always a chance v crows and who knows v dogs round 5. Could genuinely be 0-5 or 1-4. Ken will be dead man walking then. Cut the chord and get rid of him.

Run a full process and start all over again. The future is not Boak, Dixon, Jonas, Lycett etc etc

Even a week ago I was sure he would see the season out, I just couldn't see him being cut before the end of the season (maybe with a couple of rounds to go if it's all over).

But after watching last night's game, I think he could be jettisoned if that sort of start eventuates. There would be no point in his going on. And really, financially it's not a hit to us.

Put Josh Carr in charge in caretaker mode but as you say have a serious process for the appointment, none of this the best man was here all along BS.

Watching replay, some interesting decisions that I need clarity on , both Lycett and Allir took intercept marks and immediately attempted to move the ball on by foot, without going back off the mark to take their kicks . In both cases they took one step on a slight angle before being tackled by a player standing close behind them. Both resulted in quick goals to Freo. By not going back off the mark to take the kick are they deemed immediately to be playing on once they take a step and hence free game to tackle. Is there no protected zone behind the player when the mark is taken?

Seems that our intent on moving the ball on quickly by attempting to kick quickly and not giving ourselves room to take the kick properly, resulted in at least 3 Freo goals I saw.

From the bit I saw I did not mind Miles Bergmann's game last night. He had plenty of run and seemed to know what he was doing. I think JHF will be a real asset as he has a lot more of a physical side to his game than I expected.
Berg forward for a goal , I'd like to see him forward more often.

From the bit I saw I did not mind Miles Bergmann's game last night. He had plenty of run and seemed to know what he was doing. I think JHF will be a real asset as he has a lot more of a physical side to his game than I expected.

Looked very good and his ability to push forward into goalscoring positions was noticeable. He is going to be a very good player.

Also like the return of good Duursma, getting involved at both ends of the ground.

He's already got the whiff of dead man walking. Someone just needs to pull Koch's noseplugs out.

Ew Smells Bad GIF by Bounce

Looked very good and his ability to push forward into goalscoring positions was noticeable. He is going to be a very good player.

Also like the return of good Duursma, getting involved at both ends of the ground.

The midfield generally looks super strong into the future. Bergman and Duursma on the wings with JHF, Rozee and Butters (the 2020 version that we hopefully start to see again soon ...) as the starting centre square combo means we are practically set for the next decade.

Either end of the ground needs a lot of work though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The midfield generally looks super strong into the future. Bergman and Duursma on the wings with JHF, Rozee and Butters (the 2020 version that we hopefully start to see again soon ...) as the starting centre square combo means we are practically set for the next decade.

Either end of the ground needs a lot of work though.

We better hope guys like Pasini, McCallum, Scully, Marshall etc all come on eventually.

No mate, they have been s**t since Schofield left, 2020 and 2021 Schofield was midfield coach

On TET-AN00 using BigFooty.com mobile app

It is a bit of a worry given rumours have it, Carr is our next head coach

We have wonderful players in the midfield, arguably the best in a decade or more. The mid should be our strength.

We better hope guys like Pasini, McCallum, Scully, Marshall etc all come on eventually.

Odds are only 1 or 2 of them will, if any.

And I know this board has a height fetish at both ends of the ground but the smalls are just as concerning.

missed the game last night- trying to watch the replay on kayo. replay doesnt exist- why do i pay for kayo again?
It was thrown in the bin.

Almost 24 hrs later and not reading any other posts yet so here goes.
Umpiring was by no means why we lost but goodness we got hammered. I can accept all the high tackle/in the back calls. We were a bit rougher and we got punished. But 4 x 50m (one a double) to, I think, none? Not one of those obvious. And late we had Allir and then Lycett run down on the mark after taking marks and getting ready to kick which was nuts.
Sam Powell-Pepper is a cut above anyone else on the team. It was a grievous mistake to not start Evans on the field. Georgiades cannot be in the 22 for R1. Jason Horne-Francis played a fantastic game albeit copped a bit from the umpires. Trent McKenzie ... well I hate hand-offs for shots on goal but thank you. Well done Orazio Fantasia; despite all the s**t-takes everyone made about your fragility last year you gave a decent crack in both pre-season hitouts.

Last edited:
Almost 24 hrs later and not reading and other posts yet here goes.
Umpiring was by no means why we lost but goodness we got hammered. I can accept all the high tackle/in the back calls. We were a bit rougher and we got punished. But 4 x 50m (one a double) to, I think, none? Not one of those obvious. And late we had Allir and then Lycett run down on the mark after taking marks and getting ready to kick which was nuts.
Sam Powell-Pepper is a cut above anyone else on the team. It was a grievous mistake to not start Evans on the field. Georgiades cannot be in the 22 for R1. Jason Horne-Francis played a fantastic game albeit copped a bit from the umpires. Trent McKenzie ... well I hate hand-offs for shots on goal but thank you. Well done Orazio Fantasia; despite all the s**t-takes everyone made about your fragility last year you gave a decent crack in both pre-season hitouts.

Can someone explain it, was it deemed play on, because they didnt go back on the mark? Cost 2 goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back