Coach Fremantle: where to now after Lyon?

Remove this Banner Ad

Damian Drum
Gerard Nessham
Mark Harvey
Peter Bell
Damian Lovelock

edited - Can't forget Craig Foster. He'll have them playing '' World Clarsh ''

Why not wait the extra week seems odd

They couldn’t have done it any earlier - Freo were in finals contention.

They’re competing with St Kilda (and potentially others) for a senior coach ...

+ the earlier they start the earlier they appoint a coach, and the earlier the new coach can be across list management decisions (it’s already too late for them to be involved in delistings, but might be on board for trade week)

They couldn’t have done it any earlier - Freo were in finals contention.

They’re competing with St Kilda (and potentially others) for a senior coach ...

+ the earlier they start the earlier they appoint a coach, and the earlier the new coach can be across list management decisions (it’s already too late for them to be involved in delistings, but might be on board for trade week)

The Saints already have their man in charge (I believe)

Pretty thin decent assistant coaching field out there, which is perhaps not so much of a shock given so many movements in the last 18 months.

I would suggest most strongly that Freo don't hire anyone with previous links to The Dockers or WA, and go for another 'outsider' like the Eagles with Adam Simpson.

I would throw Scott Burns' name out there, a highly respected former player, with several years in the system at some very well run clubs like Hawthorn.

The Saints already have their man in charge (I believe)

Pretty thin decent assistant coaching field out there, which is perhaps not so much of a shock given so many movements in the last 18 months.

I would suggest most strongly that Freo don't hire anyone with previous links to The Dockers or WA, and go for another 'outsider' like the Eagles with Adam Simpson.

I would throw Scott Burns' name out there, a highly respected former player, with several years in the system at some very well run clubs like Hawthorn.

Burns fails your criteria of “no links to WA”

Burns fails your criteria of “no links to WA”

You know what I mean. He was an assistant at WCE for little while, but has a broad coaching and playing CV elsewhere. The more I think about it, the more I think he is the perfect candidate for Freo.. Definitely one of the most high IQ players I have watched.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damian Drum
Gerard Nessham
Mark Harvey
Peter Bell
Damian Lovelock

edited - Can't forget Craig Foster. He'll have them playing '' World Clarsh ''
I don't get it. Also, hadn't heard Lovelock's name in a while, checked to see what he's doing now and it turns out he's just passed away 😯

Why do they need to avoid anyone with previous connections? What if Suma or JLo are exactly what they need?

So you should be happy his coaching an opposition and not your team
Minor premiers in 2015 a year ahead in the rebuild and higher on the ladder missing 3 of our four best and only defenders and all 3 of our kpf clear out the rest of our dead wood at seasons end and go again
Just worry your own team it will improve your health
Righto.
We won a flag in 2012 dude.

Huge difference

There’s some damning reports about Fremantle and the culture, also Lyons relationship with key stakeholders. I’d be reluctant to give him too much flack however, the guy took them to finals 4 years in a row including the 2013 GF plus a home PF in 2015. There’s obviously injury concerns at play also, plus some other appointments that are questionable, I.e Micallef.

Peter Bell has done what probably should be done. Identified the issues, another year of no finals and the obvious relationship breakdowns and acted. I don’t think it’ll be too personal for Ross. He has had success at 2 clubs and been a highly rated assistant. Will probably be that again, I mean I’d not say no to him being involved at Melbourne in an assistant role.

The knock on him would be his defensive focus, but there’s a place for that obviously. It might mean though that if there was a strained relationship between him, Langdon and Hill that we might not get those players, but I think he would be a good director or assistant somewhere else. Maybe even at Gold Coast or Carlton.

Fremantle definitely needed to make the call, id predict the axe hasn’t stopped swinging though, there might be some more to go.

Comes down to three in my book as I think the Saints will appoint Ratten.

The WAFC's hands are all over this decision so they will be pressuring the Dockers for their man Suma.

Brad Scott is close with the Brayshaw family, who are very close to Bell and Mann. Something suss in the timeline of him standing down at North and Dale Alcock saying the decision to move on from Ross was made mid season. The WAFC will want a WA coach so he may struggle.

The romantic in me likes the idea of Justin Longmuir but as an untried coach can he handle the docker bashing WA media/social media screamers.

Either way we are doomed unless we can convince Sam Mitchell to take the job.

Sydney were in the grand final in 2016, by which point Freo had already sunk. So I wouldn't say they're at a similar point. Sydney are now where Freo were in 2016.
If you read prior back an forth before joining the conversation I stated we were minor premiers in 2015 so we’re a year in front in the rebuild hence the higher ladder position
Ten wins was a pass mark for me this year and will waste no time s**t canning Sydney because I have no knowledge of there team and I really don’t care.
Opposition comes to mind on game day and sometimes as reference.

If you read prior back an forth before joining the conversation I stated we were minor premiers in 2015 so we’re a year in front in the rebuild hence the higher ladder position
And you're still wrong. Sydney made the finals in 2018 and plummeted the next year. Freo made the finals in 2015 and plummeted the next year. Comparing rebuilds is pretty useless anyway since the lists are of different quality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back