Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

FREMANTLE

Kate Flood (Ireland)
: A strongly built forward, playing Gaelic football for Louth, Flood is expected to be a focal point in attack for the Dockers. Has also played premier-level soccer, can kick on both sides and has good pace.

Lindal Rohde: A netballer who has spent this winter playing for WAFLW side Subiaco, Rohde has impressed on the wing. Has clean ball skills and a strong game sense.

Aine Tighe (Ireland): Pronounced "on-ya", Aine will line up in the ruck for the Dockers, given their absence of talls and her height of 185cm. The Gaelic footballer from Leitrim moves exceptionally well for her size.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

She’s super competitive, is Anya. A really good get.
Teeny tiny mild correction - it’s pronounced Onya. It’s one of those Gaelic things that look odd to predominantly English speakers with our weird and strange pronunciations for the spelling we have.

Áine = Onya

Otherwise I agree.

Contrary to what the title of this article claims, you will not learn anything new at all:

Based on this article I think Lee Gaskin may have preferred a root canal over having to write it.

Contrary to what the title of this article claims, you will not learn anything new at all:

Based on this article I think Lee Gaskin may have preferred a root canal over having to write it.

Yeah, can't say i had much Dockers AFLW knowledge going in, but I couldn't even find the brush!

I love how it's an insight to say our top draft pick is the most likely to be our rising star.

A few of the AFLW Academy players have been training with Freo. You may have seen them in the pics from the joint training as well (see below).

Isabella Lewis (Claremont) - was MVP in the WAFLW Reserves Grand Final where Claremont beat South Freo 47 to 12. And one of the better players in a losing side in the WAFLW final between Swan Districts and Claremont.
Sarah Verrier (Peel Thunder) - Inside mid that was great as a bottom ager for WA.
Courtney Rowley (Peel Thunder) - Absolute gun. Not draftable until 2021. She was awarded Peel's best player at WAFLW this year at just 16yo! You may remember her picture next to Banfield in various media.

Group-1.JPG

Fremantle Dockers AFLW recruit Ann McMahon recovering in hospital after being hit by alleged stolen car while working as police officer
Fremantle Dockers AFLW recruit Ann McMahon is recovering in hospital after suffering serious injuries when she was struck by an allegedly stolen car while working her day job as a police officer on Christmas Eve.
McMahon, 25, was deploying stingers on Tonkin Highway near Perth Airport in an attempt to stop the white Toyota Kluger when she was struck about 2.30pm and thrown to the side of the road.
Ann McMahon (left) with her wife Issy.
Ann McMahon (left) with her wife Issy.Credit: Instagram
Police allege the Kluger was stolen by a 21-year-old man during a burglary at a home in Belmont earlier that day.
It is understood the vehicle was spotted by police just after 2pm on Mitchell Freeway near Scarborough Beach Road where it allegedly failed to stop.
The car then continued through Como and several other suburbs before hitting McMahon while travelling south on Tonkin Highway.
She was taken by ambulance to Royal Perth Hospital with serious injuries but is today in a stable condition.
McMahon was working with two other officers who ran to her aid when she was hit.
“Other officers who were involved in the incident continued to follow the Kluger and continue with inquiries,” Superintendent Alyson Brett said.
The vehicle was found a short time later bogged and abandoned near Hale Road.
The incident happened while McMahon was deploying stingers on Tonkin Highway
The incident happened while McMahon was deploying stingers on Tonkin Highway Credit: Ross Swanborough
“The helicopter was monitoring the vehicle and coordinating it at the time of the incident,” Supt Brett said.
“We have procedures in relation to this. Directions are provided by an inspector at our police operations centre.”
Ms McMahon was working as an acting sergeant at the time of the incident.
McMahon was pick 35 for Fremantle at this year’s draft.
It is unclear whether her injuries, a laceration on her forehead as well as two broken ribs and injuries to her hand and wrist. will affect her for the upcoming AFLW season which starts in early February.
The Dockers confirmed the player was involved in the incident and said she would have the full support of the club as she recovers in hospital.
Police at the scene of the incident yesterday afternoon.

We have been in constant contact with Ann and her family and the club will offer all the support we can to help in her recovery,” Fremantle Dockers senior manager of football Joe Brierty said in statement.
“Our thoughts are with Ann, her wife Issy and her extended family at this time.
“Given the matter is now before the courts the club is not in a position to comment further.”
Just hours earlier she had posted on her Instagram story from what appeared to be the back seat of a police car — thanking a Perth coffee shop Rustic Gourmet “for fuelling me this Xmas”.
Perth man Dave Farquharson was driving north along Mitchell Freeway and said he believed the Kluger passed him and stopped under a bridge to hide from the helicopter was pursuing him.
“It was like something that would happen in a movie. After overtaking me at speed using the left hand emergency lane, he stopped and climbed out of the car... under the bridge just before the Joondalup off-ramp,” he said.
Police say the 21-year-old driver has been charged with an act causing bodily harm, failing to stop, stealing a motor vehicle and driving recklessly, reckless driving to escape police and failing to provide assistance after an incident occasioning bodily harm.
He is due to face Perth Magistrate’s Court tomorrow.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back