Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice little turn out of family and friends at Cockburn today for the derby scratch. Got Roxy's mum nearby. Seems lovely folk
Couldn't manage to get there today. Any update? How they looking? Hopefully they are just blowing out the cobwebs, trialling some stuff, going at 3/4 pace and no injuries please...

The report didn't talk about the score but seemed to place a strong emphasis on that freo were a young side and Eagles played their full strength side which is interesting

Now you’d reckon as they did everything to not mention the score we got towelled up
If we had a 5 goal quarter and got towelled up it must have been a very high scoring game. I doubt that. Our form (and I assume most clubs are the same) is not to disclose scores in trial games.

This article gives brilliant insight! says 10 were kicked altogether (4 to Duffy, Sharp & Houghton a few each too according to this). The little video confirms our thoughts about Aine Tighe too as she was apparently all over the ground! The excitement is real :hearteyes:

Freo media team are killing it with their coverage lately. A few new articles, picture gallery and videos up on the Freo website now.

Apparently Aine Tighe was amazing in the ruck. Bowers was a bit jealous she wasn't out there being fed by her taps. Another teammate said she was picking up the ball off the ground with one hand. And another said she was one of the fastest players on the Freo list and was carving it up. Legit excited if she can back that up next weekend v Adelaide - maybe start hitting the scoreboard as well? Sounded like Mim Strom had a pretty solid first up game also.

Good to hear Roxanne Roux was taking some high flying contested marks (and pinch hitting in the ruck). Duffy kicking 4, Houghton a couple, and Sharp, Roux getting at least one goal each is a good spread by the forward line. Kicking 10 goals total is a solid return in the first hit out. Hopefully Flood has settled in and gets on the scoreboard next time.

Great that Katie Jayne-Grieve was dominant in the midfield and Jasmin Stewart stepped up as well. Plus seems like Lindal Rhode got plenty of touches on the wing, with Sharp rotating through and impacting on the wing/half forward. Bianca Webb putting her hand up with a good job up against Hooker is good news also.

Sounds like Cuthbertson, O'Driscoll and Garstone all held up well in defence and well led by the Gooch. I'm assuming Seth, Stannett, Pugh and Mascall also played down back and they swung Mia-Rae Clifford around the place?

Encouraging signs from a team captained by the only leadership group member in the team (Gabby O'Sullivan) and missing (I think) Kara Antonio, Ebony Antonio, Kiara Bowers, Hayley Miller, Steph Cain, Alex Williams, Tayla Bresland, and Matilda Sargeant. Hopefully all/most of those names will be in the team next weekend.

Will definitely be some selection headaches come round 1.

This article gives brilliant insight! says 10 were kicked altogether (4 to Duffy, Sharp & Houghton a few each too according to this). The little video confirms our thoughts about Aine Tighe too as she was apparently all over the ground! The excitement is real :hearteyes:

Onya Aine.

She will be in the recruit of the year.

Last year we had some workmanlike rucks who won’t up to play number one ruck.

Tighe is very exciting.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really strong breeze favouring WC in the first. They started really energetically as expected and kept booting it forward so kept it close to their goal with a lot of missed shots. WC Pisco is the biggest girl I've ever seen up close. I used to do a lot of weights in my younger days and she's twice as big as i ever was. She'd out wrestle Darcy. Going to ragdoll some girls this year. Got first goal of the game.

I hear what you are saying. Here is Piskoneri next to Roxy Roux.

1539785300136_G661S1I3A.2-1.jpg

How did Flood go from what you saw? I'm pretty convinced Tighe and Roux will have a big impact this year but Flood is such a wildcard for us if she can get her head around the game - and does the defensive aspects well.
sorry. Still not entirely sure who is who of the girls I haven't seen before (except for those exceptionally tall, built like a huge man, dark skinned, or man's haircut). So many of them on both sides look the same - circa 5'6-5'8, tanned, toned and athletic, hot legs, brown hair in a bun. the wife gave me the update on the irish girls.

sorry. Still not entirely sure who is who of the girls I haven't seen before (except for those exceptionally tall, built like a huge man, dark skinned, or man's haircut). So many of them on both sides look the same - circa 5'6-5'8, tanned, toned and athletic, hot legs, brown hair in a bun. the wife gave me the update on the irish girls.
No problem mate. Kate probably would have been playing full forward - number #44. I think she's a little shorter than Houghton but taller than our other forwards. Blonde hair in a plaited pony tail. She had a lot of strapping. Pic below.

Big call but if Flood steps up alongside Houghton, Roux, Duffy, O'Sullivan, Sharp and EAntonio/Tighe/Clifford swinging forward at times I think we'll pass Adelaide as having the best forward line in the AFLW. Mind you I'm happy with Freo being underrated by the Vic media again.

Kate-Flood-AFL-Photos.JPG

No problem mate. Kate probably would have been playing full forward - number #44. I think she's a little shorter than Houghton but taller than our other forwards. Blonde hair in a plaited pony tail. She had a lot of strapping. Pic below.

Big call but if Flood steps up alongside Houghton, Roux, Duffy, O'Sullivan, Sharp and EAntonio/Tighe/Clifford swinging forward at times I think we'll pass Adelaide as having the best forward line in the AFLW. Mind you I'm happy with Freo being underrated by the Vic media again.

Kate-Flood-AFL-Photos.JPG
I like settled player roles.

Clifford and E Antonio can play key backs.

Flood and Houghton key forwards.

Tighe in the ruck.

Forward line of Roux, Flood, Houghton, O’Sullivan and Duffy seems solid to me.

I'm looking forward to a going to a couple of AFLW games this year. Hopefully the weather won't be too hot. Freo oval on a 35+ degree day is awful for footy watching.

I'm not sure I can stomach watching the Dirty Birds at Perth Stadium.

Where does Mim Strong fit in if all of the above are fit ??
She was drafted as a future player, not really as one for 2020. But she's already been pretty impressive and I think they are now weighing up whether they could carry both her and Tighe in the same team. I still think she'll be an unlucky exclusion if everyone is fit but I'm still expecting her to debut at some point this year. I think the young players know the importance of development and want to earn their spot on the team whether it be this year or next year. All our 18yos would have learnt a heap already -> they've already won.

AFLW hasn't opened up into as much of a general play game as AFL yet, so I think marking players and contested ball winners with a bit of toe for a hack kick forward would be effective.

Elite outside runners will open it right up, remember that game against the Pies where Webb tore them up offering options wide? Just like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back