Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

Two goals (1.6 = 12) a game is going to get a little time to get used to. The AFL has provided the Hype its up to the players to provide the spectacle. Can't ignore the pace and enthusiasm but with basic fundamental skills missing there's a long long way to go. Still not sure but I'll hang in there.

The standard of play is quite obviously an issue, I reckon a lot of well drilled u16s ammos sides could beat them. But when you see the likes of Antonio and Carlton's Vescio there is little doubt that women can play footy and very well, just need to find the talent and develop it.

The one thing I am continually frustrated with in regard to some people's perception of female sports is this expectation that it will be at the same level as the men's instantly. It won't, simply because the men have been paid professionally for many many decades. It's like taking two groups of untrained people and spending many years training one group but then with the other group just giving them an 8 week crash course and expecting they'll have equal capability.

There are very few sports (and professions for that matter) where women are being paid equally to men. What society needs to realise is they are just as capable and often surpass the men if provided with the same time and resources. Women's tennis a few years back for example I found so much better to watch as rather than just a competition as to who can hit the ball hardest there was far more skill and finesse involved.

Any person thinking that women aren't the equal of men at anything are delusional, the sooner we broadly realise that, the better off we will all be. Like most ignorance (slavery, genocide, racism, sexism, homophobia...) in a few years we'll all look back and go "remember that time when we thought women couldn't play football, how stupid were we?". I just hope the support shown over the past few weeks continues to help fast track the process. The professionalism we see with today's AFL players took a long time to create - give the girls some time.

The one thing I am continually frustrated with in regard to some people's perception of female sports is this expectation that it will be at the same level as the men's instantly. It won't, simply because the men have been paid professionally for many many decades. It's like taking two groups of untrained people and spending many years training one group but then with the other group just giving them an 8 week crash course and expecting they'll have equal capability.

There are very few sports (and professions for that matter) where women are being paid equally to men. What society needs to realise is they are just as capable and often surpass the men if provided with the same time and resources. Women's tennis a few years back for example I found so much better to watch as rather than just a competition as to who can hit the ball hardest there was far more skill and finesse involved.

Any person thinking that women aren't the equal of men at anything are delusional, the sooner we broadly realise that, the better off we will all be. Like most ignorance (slavery, genocide, racism, sexism, homophobia...) in a few years we'll all look back and go "remember that time when we thought women couldn't play football, how stupid were we?". I just hope the support shown over the past few weeks continues to help fast track the process. The professionalism we see with today's AFL players took a long time to create - give the girls some time.
This so much this, i totally grasp this and its why i got so worked up over people near me last night criticising the women as if they were elite women that had being playing the game for 150 years they havent in time they will get better

People we need to give these women time

There are very few sports (and professions for that matter) where women are being paid equally to men.

There are very few sports where women get bigger crowds than men. Beach Volleyball is probably one, and in that sport women probably get paid more.

You gotta realise that there isn't some bloke in an office tower somewhere watching every female sporting event and deciding how much they will get paid as a result. Pay is based on popularity, and men's sport is much more popular. Money doesn't grow on trees. The money that sportspeople get paid comes directly from the people who pay to go and watch, and who watch it on TV.

The reason soccer players get paid 40 times that of AFL players isn't because soccer players are better at their sport or soccer players try harder or soccer is a better game. The reason is that soccer is vastly more popular and as a result, incomes are bigger across the board.

Last edited:
This so much this, i totally grasp this and its why i got so worked up over people near me last night criticising the women as if they were elite women that had being playing the game for 150 years they havent in time they will get better

People we need to give these women time
A significant % of people that follow our great game are morons, unfortunately.

It's not about being equal, it's about a standard. Two goals a game tells me the standard has a long way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah it's almost unwatchable at the moment with their current skill level, but it's early days and I understand a lot of them aren't coming from football backgrounds. Probably going to take a few seasons to get the skill levels better: more training, game promotion, talent scouting etc.
Does anyone think that along with the ball they also need a smaller ground? Might increase the scoring?

People need to look at the quality of the best players and remember they come from a generation where male junior's outnumbered female junior's massively. If the league had 10 Vescios and 10 Antonio's etc, how would it look then?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The replay made it look like Antonio didn't actually hit the head. Perhaps they had different footage.
Seen it on the news just now footage doesn't look that bad but of course they have to make an example of some players to stamp out what could be worse

And of course fremantle is a soft target for the mrp

2 weeks?! :drunk:

Absolute bullshit. Typical Freo MRP treatment.

images

Given their salaries a 25c fine would be about right but….
Not much more than accidental contact,so she's just got to do the week.End of.

Does anyone get the feeling WA is not quite as much behind the AFLW as other states? TV viewers in WA well behind the figures in SA.

I am worried that the WA crowd will be the first crowd to disappoint if people make predictions based on Vic and SA.

Hope I am wrong.

Does anyone get the feeling WA is not quite as much behind the AFLW as other states? TV viewers in WA well behind the figures in SA.

I am worried that the WA crowd will be the first crowd to disappoint if people make predictions based on Vic and SA.

Hope I am wrong.

I thought i was the only one with this same feeling. Now lets go back to their inaugural training session. I was actually expecting a good number of people to show up to cheer them on. But unfortunately i was only one of a handful of people there. And by handful i mean no more than 5 people.
I continued to support them at every training session since (only missed a couple) and filmed most sessions, but the numbers were still the same except on only one occasion.
So yeah, i know where your coming from. A bit of rain is forecast for Sunday aswell. Either way, i'm hoping for a good turnout.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back