Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

The jumper is a CLASH jumper not an away jumper. No technicality, we cocked up. As a side note it annoys me we wear all white away against the Suns, we should be in purple every chance we get but apparently the contracts with sponsors state x jumper to be worn x times.

Is that why we have to still wear white when playing teams like Collingwood and north melbourne away.

Interesting a GWS player got suspended for sling tackle, I can't remember whether we got a free or not. The report of our player late in the game that lead to a free kick, was thrown out.

We also won the rising star this week. Go Sharp!

Is that why we have to still wear white when playing teams like Collingwood and north melbourne away.

White against Collingwood makes sense. Up until last year we wore all purple vs North but since they have switched to a predominantly blue jumper we went with white last year.

Against Geelong away we also generally go all purple to their predominantly white.

If it were up to me I'd have worn the purple with white shorts in the GF. Purple is imo our biggest branding thing so would be utilising that as much as possible.

This may turn quickly into a Steve's debate so I'll stop.

Also whilst we're on the topic I reckon the pink chevron is a bit too tokeny. Why not create a lighter purple IF we are creating a different jumper or dark purple with violet chevrons. One club should mean one set of jumpers imo.

Also whilst we're on the topic I reckon the pink chevron is a bit too tokeny. Why not create a lighter purple IF we are creating a different jumper or dark purple with violet chevrons. One club should mean one set of jumpers imo.
I like the ladies jumpers being slightly different and my 2 young daughters love the pink.

The mens team wear at least 4 or 5 different jumpers in the normal season (Home, away, starlight rnd, indigenous rnd, heritage rnd, fan appreciation rnd etc), so another slight variation on the jumper that appeals to the target market is ok by me.

I'd like to know the thoughts of the women that wear them - but we all know they'll give us the "official club line"...

I see Freo as a big chance for an upset against the Crows. While the Crows are now favourites to get through to the GF, do not forget, that is on the basis of 3 games. They may still be over rated.

On a side issue, Tiah Haynes season is done, she is having/has had? a shoulder op, so they have elevated another player, Brooke White.

Another side note, Dana Hooker has been Mrs consistency, with 3 solid games, which leads to the question of, how are the players going re expectations thus far.

Dana has done her bit.
Kara Donellan has been as expected.
Ebony Antonio has had an impact.
Lara Filocamo has stood up.
Houghton has possibly underperformed relative to the practice match, but has done well for a rookie.
Sharps returns as the sneaky forward sharpshooter has been ok.
Gabby O`Sullivan is doing well considering where she came from.

Some of the players that stood out in the practice match have not done as well in the real stuff.
Cassie Davidson is skilled, but not having an impact.
Demi Okely likewise.
Kirby Bentley has done OK, but is well below what she is capable of. This is to be expected considering she hasnt played in a year, and literally, was not doing full drills until just before her first game.
Susan Chuot has struggled to impact as well.

Overall, too few have emerged as performing above expectations (maybe none?)
There are a bunch doing as expected, but a lot more doing not as well as hoped.

The upside, there is a lot of scope for improvement, but little time to achieve it.

I see Freo as a big chance for an upset against the Crows. While the Crows are now favourites to get through to the GF, do not forget, that is on the basis of 3 games. They may still be over rated.

On a side issue, Tiah Haynes season is done, she is having/has had? a shoulder op, so they have elevated another player, Brooke White.

Another side note, Dana Hooker has been Mrs consistency, with 3 solid games, which leads to the question of, how are the players going re expectations thus far.

Dana has done her bit.
Kara Donellan has been as expected.
Ebony Antonio has had an impact.
Lara Filocamo has stood up.
Houghton has possibly underperformed relative to the practice match, but has done well for a rookie.
Sharps returns as the sneaky forward sharpshooter has been ok.
Gabby O`Sullivan is doing well considering where she came from.

Some of the players that stood out in the practice match have not done as well in the real stuff.
Cassie Davidson is skilled, but not having an impact.
Demi Okely likewise.
Kirby Bentley has done OK, but is well below what she is capable of. This is to be expected considering she hasnt played in a year, and literally, was not doing full drills until just before her first game.
Susan Chuot has struggled to impact as well.

Overall, too few have emerged as performing above expectations (maybe none?)
There are a bunch doing as expected, but a lot more doing not as well as hoped.

The upside, there is a lot of scope for improvement, but little time to achieve it.
I think Cowan misread the competition. With the 16 a side format they thought it would be an open outside game. It is not. It is tough in the trenches football. We are getting flogged on the inside. The light running players are having no impact.

While not wishing to be to critical based on reputations but of players you didn't above Miller has been poor. Maybe age (or injury) has caught up with Caufield.

Too many excuses for what should have been a side competing for the title.

Im not hopeful for a turn around either for next season. The VFL and SANFL (and the Clubs like Box Hill and Geelong VFL) are taking leading roles in advancing the game. Over here it is second rate.Have a look at WAFL club sites and see how many actually mention their womens team.

Although Kudos to West Perth to taking control in their area.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have a look at WAFL club sites and see how many actually mention their womens team.

Yes definitely kudos to West Perth as they start integrating both teams as one club.

Subiaco and Coastal Titans will have the biggest issues becoming one in the future.

I think Cowan misread the competition. With the 16 a side format they thought it would be an open outside game. It is not. It is tough in the trenches football. We are getting flogged on the inside. The light running players are having no impact.

While not wishing to be to critical based on reputations but of players you didn't above Miller has been poor. Maybe age (or injury) has caught up with Caufield.

Too many excuses for what should have been a side competing for the title.

Im not hopeful for a turn around either for next season. The VFL and SANFL (and the Clubs like Box Hill and Geelong VFL) are taking leading roles in advancing the game. Over here it is second rate.Have a look at WAFL club sites and see how many actually mention their womens team.

It was obvious from the start that their size was the Achilles heel. It was hard to see how the would win enough contested ball, or take enough contested marks.

It is possible that they did not pick a side to suit their strategy, but instead, picked a strategy to suit the side they had left. So if your going to be small, try for running players and get an outside strategy going. Of course you have to make it work.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

It was obvious from the start that their size was the Achilles heel. It was hard to see how the would win enough contested ball, or take enough contested marks.

It is possible that they did not pick a side to suit their strategy, but instead, picked a strategy to suit the side they had left. So if your going to be small, try for running players and get an outside strategy going. Of course you have to make it work.

i think you are being over protective. Cowan stated before the draft that she thought the 16 man game would increase the need for running players. It is where she focussed her recruiting. Phillips missed the first two game alledgedly as her 2k tome wasn't good enough.

I'm pretty sure the players who nominated for the non wa teams would have known they were more chance of being recruited by other clubs than Freo.

Yeah I agree, we seem short of in-and-under ball winners. We are also missing one of our marquee players who is regarded by some as the best player in the country (if not top 5). But she is thought of so highly because of her running. Outside of Donnellan I just don't think our inside mids have been at their best and our rucks just aren't competitive against the best. But like our men's team has likely done this pre-season, you change focus to winning clearances and logically you'd turn your fortunes around in a relatively short timeframe. I still don't think our team is weak, I just think it needs a slight re-plumb ahead of 2018.

So I've not been to a game at Freo Oval before (I know, what kind of fan am I?), do we just find a spot on the grass to sit for the womens game? Are there seats?

To many poor decision makers. Some of the kicks would have been risky if they kicked as well as the men. As it was, they were suicidal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back