Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

The chance of going the season without a win is huge at the moment. The competition we face in the final couple of rounds are near the top of the ladder. Management should fall on their sword.

I got here just before half time. Effort was very good, but finishing just not good enough.
Four more scoring shots and lost by a point.

The chance of going the season without a win is huge at the moment. The competition we face in the final couple of rounds are near the top of the ladder. Management should fall on their sword.

I think there needs to be accountability, but I wouldn't necessarily sack the coaching staff just yet. If the skill level can increase significantly in the next 12 months then there should be a rapid improvement in the effectiveness of the game plan.

She's vital in defence but I wonder whether it would be worthwhile to try swinging Ebony Antonio up forward for a bit of a game, one of the best players that can actually kick to maybe convert some of these chances.
I thought she was for a bit.

Much better effort from Cowan. Bentley and Houghton provided size and contest up forward. New ruck Janz provided effort and won well when King was rested. Our rucks up to then have been woeful. Bresland did well on Hope. She has been solid at full back all season. Still too many passengers. Although i think some players spend a lot of time on the bench. Not enough rotations

I think there needs to be accountability, but I wouldn't necessarily sack the coaching staff just yet. If the skill level can increase significantly in the next 12 months then there should be a rapid improvement in the effectiveness of the game plan.
Sack the recruiting staff. They have putrid skills

We have about 5 or so spud players running around every week but that's the same with every team due to the league's lack of depth. Seem to often do a lot of dumb things out there and surely a fair bit of that is due to coaching, with the players we have there is no way we should be dead last an winless.

I thought she was for a bit.

Much better effort from Cowan. Bentley and Houghton provided size and contest up forward. New ruck Janz provided effort and won well when King was rested. Our rucks up to then have been woeful. Bresland did well on Hope. She has been solid at full back all season. Still too many passengers. Although i think some players spend a lot of time on the bench. Not enough rotations
She from memory was around the middle and maybe at half fowrad a bit, I'm talking about playing deep near the goals.

We have about 5 or so spud players running around every week but that's the same with every team due to the league's lack of depth. Seem to often do a lot of dumb things out there and surely a fair bit of that is due to coaching, with the players we have there is no way we should be dead last an winless.
Yep... No way should they add any more teams to the league. I'm talking 5-6 years+ before they dilute the talent pool further.

Sack the recruiting staff. They have putrid skills

I don't think they're any worse than most teams. It's just they try to make plays that they don't have the skills to execute. Which I think is bad coaching, but it might pay off in the longer term when the skill level improves.

I don't think they're any worse than most teams. It's just they try to make plays that they don't have the skills to execute. Which I think is bad coaching, but it might pay off in the longer term when the skill level improves.
What play was Sharpe trying to make?

So the two teams many expected to be in the grand final before the season started are now at the bottom of the ladder. Just shows how little the AFL and everyone knew about how all the talent pools compared.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think they are playing that badly it's just some friggin unbelievably stupid individual decision making. Michelle Cowan deserves some hard questions but if I was her I'd already have a migraine not of my own causing.
Cowan prior to last week's game V Crows was that "our season is very much alive"- we lost!!. now this week after another loss "its not about win/loss its about improvement". I've said it before the buck stop with her and her draft selections and I've asked before besides working with blokes at WEST PERTH, South fremantle and Melbourne. Has she coached female side over a full season and was she successful? Too much was made of her coaching in exhibition games 2013-2016 when 44 of the best female footy players was running around.

I thoroughly agree with other posters about expansion being delayed for at least three more years. But I can't see that happening. I think there will be one more year with 8 teams then it could go to 12!! the talent will very much be diluted.

Cowan prior to last week's game V Crows was that "our season is very much alive"- we lost!!. now this week after another loss "its not about win/loss its about improvement". She should be running in the election next Saturday. She like all politicians like duck and dive and avoid the issues!!

I've said it before the buck stop with her and her draft selections and I've asked before besides working with blokes at WEST PERTH, South fremantle and Melbourne. Has she coached female side over a full season and was she successful? Too much was made of her coaching in exhibition games 2013-2016 when 44 of the best female footy players was running around.

I thoroughly agree with other posters about expansion being delayed for at least three more years. But I can't see that happening. I think there will be one more year with 8 teams then it could go to 12!! the talent will very much be diluted.

Cowan prior to last week's game V Crows was that "our season is very much alive"- we lost!!. now this week after another loss "its not about win/loss its about improvement". I've said it before the buck stop with her and her draft selections and I've asked before besides working with blokes at WEST PERTH, South fremantle and Melbourne. Has she coached female side over a full season and was she successful? Too much was made of her coaching in exhibition games 2013-2016 when 44 of the best female footy players was running around.

Has anyone in the coaching team been successful at coaching?

Coaching success in the WAWFL is pointless. The teams are so lop sided Damian Drum could be successful. It has hurt the players too in game awareness.

Meh - it's the first ever AFL Women's season. Do we really need to get the pitch forks out? Fremantle have endured some far worse coaching than Cowan's in the past and for far longer than a 7 week season. I'm interested in seeing if we are competitive in the next two games. Many were crowing about how good the Bulldogs coach was compared to Cowan after that first game and they haven't exactly lived up to expectation since either.

I think the preseason (their first), is to short to change players habits.
You can have a game plan, and have it generally followed, but under pressure, players revert to habit, and do what they would do in the WAWFL. Its just in the WAWFL, no one notices, there is no video review, and they may get away with it.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

She's obviously OK with (and possibly encouraging) them taking risking switches of play even inside the back 50 because the seem to do that every bloody week. With teams full of players with suspect kicking playing very low scoring games where a turnover resulting in a goals potentially kills you it's moronic.

I think the preseason (their first), is to short to change players habits.
You can have a game plan, and have it generally followed, but under pressure, players revert to habit, and do what they would do in the WAWFL. Its just in the WAWFL, no one notices, there is no video review, and they may get away with it.

The WAFC are going to have to do something if we are going to be competitive in the next few years then. The WAWFL and youth girl comps need a shake up if the players are going to get better.

The VFL have ontroduced a TAC cup for girls this season. Only a five game season to start with but added to the improved VFL it is taking huge steps.

The WAWFL and WAFC have done nothing. (Apart from the one session a week "talent academy" which is a glorified training session). Unless something changes over the winter we will struggle again.

The WAFC are going to have to do something if we are going to be competitive in the next few years then. The WAWFL and youth girl comps need a shake up if the players are going to get better.

The VFL have ontroduced a TAC cup for girls this season. Only a five game season to start with but added to the improved VFL it is taking huge steps.

The WAWFL and WAFC have done nothing. (Apart from the one session a week "talent academy" which is a glorified training session). Unless something changes over the winter we will struggle again.
We are clearly behind, and more worryingly, the gap is growing.

The WAFC, Fremantle Dockers, management, coaches and players need to band together to lift this team for next year. They have the potential to be great. Can we steal back marquee players?

The WAFC, Fremantle Dockers, management, coaches and players need to band together to lift this team for next year. They have the potential to be great. Can we steal back marquee players?
Why would they give up a 20k+ contract to come back for between 5 and 7k?

I just hope Freo management do a strong review and sort out some of the issues in women's footy in WA. It is not good for the club to have a poor performing womens team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back