Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Pusswah

Premiership Player
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
As a male I am not going to make a 'political' comment regarding the use of pink. If the female players and club officials like it/choose it/don't see any problem with it then it's fine with me. Reckon it looks fantastic - purple and pink together is very stylish, I'd be fine wearing it myself even.
* that man, you can have an opinion. I reckon it looks sweet and personally i'd be proud that it would be 'ours' ('theirs').
Although the initial marquee system will be limited to two players per club, the AFL may expand that for teams in the developing states like New South Wales.

Get a load of that s**t on the AFL site
******* fair dinkum.

Feb 18, 2014
Victorian Cheer Squad
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Leyton Orient, Peel, Glory, MU, TCU
http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2016-06-15/west-coast-denied-womens-licence-

latest

se17enteen

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dillon Panthers
WOW

Fremantle had the best presentation of all the clubs.

Fremantle $1.40 favourite to win the first National Women's League premiership.

"The AFL was fearful that Fremantle would be too strong – a virtual state team not unlike its elder brother West Coast proved in the early 1990s – and wanted the Eagles and another Victorian side in the competition but key coaches and players have continued to insist the talent pool does not run deep enough."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-womens-league-a-whole-new-ball-game-20160615-gpjxzg.html

WOW

Fremantle had the best presentation of all the clubs.

Fremantle $1.40 favourite to win the first National Women's League premiership.

"The AFL was fearful that Fremantle would be too strong – a virtual state team not unlike its elder brother West Coast proved in the early 1990s – and wanted the Eagles and another Victorian side in the competition but key coaches and players have continued to insist the talent pool does not run deep enough."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-womens-league-a-whole-new-ball-game-20160615-gpjxzg.html

I have to admit, this is a Caroline Wilson article which already makes me skeptical but there was one thing that really caught my eye which follows on from what you quoted in regards to the resistance for a 10 team competition

The clear impression from McLachlan on Wednesday was that he did not agree. Still this was a happy day, off the back of a meeting of the 18 club president's on Tuesday described by several as the most productive and positive since the misdeeds of recent years first started to strangle the competition and zap the AFL's initiative.

Of course he didn't agree because he was scared that Fremantle might actually win a premiership.

Frank J Moose

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2012
Brownes Stadium
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Buffalo
The 8 team comp favours the WA team immensely. The girls will have to get going quickly as I expect it will only be for one or two years until the soul less mob get one too. And when that happens it will be all the girls in a pot and a redraft.

I await the coaching appointment with interest. If they can't lure Cowan from Melbourne i hope they appoint an experienced coach and not one from the WAWFL.

So who do you predict will be the 5 preferred players - and the 2 marquee players?

Kiara Bowers? Emma King? Kara Donnellan? Renee Forth? Chelsea Randall? Sabrina Federick-Traub?

Need Chris25 in here to do some draft analysis ;)

1. Brianna GREEN 20-Nov-96 161cm WA/East Fremantle

Young, up-and-coming midfielder with a high work-rate and appetite for contests. A reliable decision-maker, Green has been touted as a future leader and is well respected by her peers.

2. Renee FORTH 28-Jan-87166cm WA/Coastal Titans

‘Sparky’ is a hard-running and versatile player. Agile and strong overhead, she knows how to find the footy. Ultra-professional on and off field, Forth is a fantastic role model who lives and breathes footy. Captained Fremantle on April 9.

3. Chelsea RANDALL 14-Jun-91 173cm WA/Swan Districts

Randall grew up playing footy with boys in regional WA. Never one to shy away from a contest, she is known for her hard hitting, high marking and versatility. An athletic player with exceptional skills, Randall has the assets to blow any game apart.

4. Demi OKELY 19-MAR-97 159cm WA/Peel Thunderbirds

Small, hard-working inside midfielder who can read the play well. Has speed, endurance and toughness and her determination and passion shine through whenever she takes the field.

5. Melissa CAULFIELD 29-MAY-88 165cm WA/East Fremantle

Quick and agile player with real football smarts and a good understanding of structures. Add to this a solid work ethic and hardness at the ball and she is a danger player for any opposition.

6. Caitlyn EDWARDS 29-JUN-96 167cm WA/East Fremantle

When asked why she started playing footy Edwards smiled and said: “My mum played footy back in the day and I wanted to be just like her.” Now making her own mark on the game, Edwards is known for her hard tackling and running out of defence.

7. Kiara BOWERS 16-NOV-91 164cm WA/Coastal Titans

The best runner in the women’s game, ‘Turbo’ loves to break the lines. A four-time WAWFL best and fairest winner, Bowers is a quality footballer who relishes contests.

8. Tayla BRESLAND 4-FEB-96 171cm WA/Peel Thunderbirds

Strong, hard-hitting utility player who loves to take a “hanger”, Bresland has come through the representative ranks at youth girls level. Ready to make a move in her senior football career and is one to watch.

9. Leah MASCALL 23-MAY-90 169cm WA/Coastal Titans

Knows how to get the most out of her body. A physiotherapist by day, she is a selfless team player who is always tough at the ball. Can play forward or back and adds flexibility to any side.

10. Tarnica GOLISANO 21-SEP-96 171cm WA/Coastal Titans

Quick, agile and a solid team player. With a good understanding of structures and a strong work ethic, Golisano is always super-hard at the ball. Demonstrates great defensive tackling.

11. Emma SWANSON 27-FEB-95 173cm WA/East Fremantle

Tall midfielder who uses her height, strength and leap to advantage. Versatile and often will play the fifth midfielder role off a half-forward flank.

12. Lorraine VAWSER (12) 3-JAN-90 166cm WA/Coastal Titans

Quick, outside runner who is super-brave under pressure. Tough, consistent and always puts the team first, she is one to watch.

13. Rheanne LUGG 22-FEB-90 166cm WA/Swan Districts

Fast, outside runner who can deliver the ball under pressure. Having represented WA on four occasions, Lugg is an experienced head who lets her actions do the talking

14. Kara DONNELLAN 27-FEB-92 163cm WA/Swan Districts

A household name in female footy. She is a quick outside runner who is courageous and excels under pressure. Ultra-tough, consistent and a great team player, she will give it her all and leave nothing in the tank. Captained West Coast on April 9.

15. Alex WILLIAMS 20-APR-93 171cm WA/East Fremantle

Medium-sized half-forward who excels in the air and on the ground. Has strong, clean hands and presents strongly on the lead. A strongly built footballer who is agile in and around contests. Works hard, reliable and is a team player.

16. Lara FILOCAMO 15-SEP-90 161cm WA/Coastal Titans

Fast and physical inside midfielder. Well known for her tenacious presence around the ball and appetite for contested possessions. Reads the play exceptionally.

17. Kellie GIBSON 9-JUN-96 170cm WA/Swan Districts

‘Gibbo’ is an experienced head at a young age. Quick, outside runner who is tough, physical and can read the play well. Capable of turning opponents inside out.

18. Jessica WUETSCHNER 28-APR-92 162cm WA/East Fremantle

Plays a high half-forward and link-up player when her team is driving from half-back. Can play ‘tall’ and has a handy left foot.

19. Emily BONSER 27-OCT-95 162cm WA/Swan Districts

Fast, in-and-under midfielder who can also play as a small defender or forward. Earns possessions by reading the play well and running hard.

21. Taylah ANGEL 15-JAN-92 166cm WA/Swan Districts

Hard and strong team player who breaks packs. Wins contested possessions, has explosive speed and breaks the lines well. Has a penetrating kick on the run and is handy around goal.

22. Ebony ANTONIO 18-DEC-91 173cm WA/Swan Districts

Hard-working defender who is reliable and a good decision-maker. Has a basketball background and has come to football as a mature-age recruit

23. Emma KING 28-JUN-94 185cm WA/Coastal Titans

‘Kingy’ always makes impact when she takes the field. High-leaping ruck who runs hard, is a consistent team player and can kick the ball accurately over distances.

28. Kira PHILLIPS 16-MAY-95 172cm WA/Peel Thunderbirds

Hard-hitting athletic player with a good leap and marking ability. Kicked five goals for West Coast on April 9.

29. Sabrina FREDERICK-TRAUB 14-NOC-96 182cm WA/Peel Thunderbirds

Ruck/forward who is strong overhead, hits hard and leaps high. ‘Sabs’ is also a long and accurate kick and is generally straight when shooting for goal.

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Not sure where the team is 1.40 favourite to win the first competition like it says in that article, I can only find 5.00 odds and thats behind demons at 4.50 and equal to dogs at 5.00

Hopefully we get to build around a strong core of WA players

scon

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2009
western australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Long haired Champs.
There's an Ebony Antonio playing for Freo who runs like Hilly and flies like Sonny.
:cool::thumbsu:
22. Ebony ANTONIO 18-DEC-91 173cm WA/Swan Districts

Hard-working defender who is reliable and a good decision-maker. Has a basketball background and has come to football as a mature-age recruit
I must have seen something no-one else could,I think that makes me a visionary.

Not saying it looks bad. It does look good. It's more what it represents.

I know the colour pink has been empowered more of late in terms of its association with females. The pink ribbon campaign and other such things have put a more weight behind the colour, and a given it a certain maturity. But for me Pink means little girls, princesses and fairies and shouldn’t be marketed with women, especially for women’s footy. It’s limiting and sexist.
It represents a mix of the colours of the greatest Fremantle side ever, South Fremantle. ;)

Pink is and always has been a representative colour for women, accept it and move on. You don't boycott pink ribbon day do you?

siteuser

Debutant
Mar 17, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I wonder if pink footys will feature in the women's league? Perhaps advertising on the ball could be used for fundraising campaigns like women's health, etc?
I asked Freo some months ago, if they were interested in the women's league.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Could there be a father-daughter rule introduced into the AFL?
Yes and the dad only has to player 1 game of AFL for the Daughter to be eligible

"A father-daughter system is being introduced with the eligibility being one AFL game for the father, while officials will consider extending the six-round home-and-away series in the tight two months "window" for the inaugural competition."
http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2016-06-15/womens-clubs-asked-to-name-top-players

siteuser

Debutant
Mar 17, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
It will be interesting to see what the media broadcast arrangments will be. - TV, radio, AFL Live Pass.
Particularly for people who don't live near the venues.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Maybe not the forum to discuss it but it actually grows the value of the brand. You get national exposure through different means. A soccer club will even get international exposure, moving you to the next level of sponsorship. You get global brands interested. The soccer team can split rent on training facilities and all of the medical costs. Most big European soccer clubs have a basketball team playing in the major leagues.

That is true, but that's about the only example around the world. You rarely see American sporting clubs do the same.

But in any case, with the exception of the NRL and the Big bash, every other sports league in this country is small fry. An A-League or NBL club gets extremely limited international exposure which isn't worth much anyway (otherwise they wouldn't be bleeding cash so much).

The only thing i'd maybe consider is if a BBL licence came up. I reckon they seem like a pretty natural fit with an AFL club.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
I wonder how recruitment is going to work? I've heard of this marquee player signing. Not sure what it means. Also how can they have a draft and only pay players 20k or so. Would financially cripple them. So is it a free agency system?

leeloo

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2007
Delusional
AFL Club
Fremantle
I would think that is why Freo had the employment part in their submission. Maybe some will be offered jobs at FFC, Curtin and City of Cockburn?

Back