Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don't know if she is gettable. Has moved to Canberra as part of her Federal police career. Staying at the Crows was going to take a significant full time position to justify her leaving the Feds, where she has a pretty senior position.

Also, it's hard to tell if she is better than Cowan after 14 regular season games. She did have a fit Phillips and Randall season 1, which might paper over a few cracks.

Did see a good discussion piece on Roar asking the question, did the Crows direct simple game plan come about because Goddard read the standard of the comp better, and formulated a plan that best suited it, or was it because she came out of lower level footy, and a simple game plan is all she has?

If it's the latter, she may be outdated quite quick.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
My criticism of Cowan that she had a game style that would have been good for AFL men.

Cowan failed to consider the athletes she had and shouldn’t have so many switches of play.

Cowan would have been better as men’s assistant than a women’s head.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I should also say that he should have a better grasp than Michelle did on the quality of juniors he wishes to recruit.
You'd kind of hope so - WAFC Female High Performance coach and WA Women’s U18s coach in 2017. Good link with Kara Donnellan as well.

Colleague of yours?

Suspect his appointment means we will be picking up Bartlett as well: http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2017-10-16/aflw

Tundrawolf

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2007
The Den
AFL Club
Fremantle
You'd kind of hope so - WAFC Female High Performance coach and WA Women’s U18s coach in 2017. Good link with Kara Donnellan as well.

Colleague of yours?

Suspect his appointment means we will be picking up Bartlett as well: http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2017-10-16/aflw
Kind of, I had a bit to do with Trent in his role at Curtin Wesley when we had a couple of women's carnivals last year, his cousins coached the women at West Coast Ammos. They all know their female footy and are passionate Freo fans, even Jan who is now involved at West Coast and setting up St Kilda women's team.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
She, or the team?

Either or. It doesn't matter, the coach is ultimately accountable for the performance of the team.

I think Cowan has been tarred by the collective deficiencies of her players.

Which may well be true. But given her initial position of being in charge of the only team in a state very strong in women's footy (let's not forget WA beat Victoria the year before) the deficiencies of her players are her responsibility as well. I remember when she was appointed it was suggested her reputation would bring players to the club. The opposite seemed to happen.

Combined with Brisbane - a team in a similar position to Freo - making 2 grand finals, that doesn't add up to a conclusion that Cowan was doing a good job.

I expect Freo to improve, and that improvement will be seen as a justification for Cowan leaving, but I suspect the improvement would have happened anyway.

Also possibly true. But in the end Cooper will also have to live by his win loss ratio.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Classic timing... http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-07/aflw-u18-strong-results-for-wa-and-nswact

Kate Bartlett kicked the winning goal in the first three-point win, and the team coasted to a comfortable 20-point win in the second.

Versatile tall McKenzie Dowrick, 18, was Western Australia's best over the two matches, with Bartlett and Mikayla Hyde the team's leading goalkickers.

Dowrick's younger sister Abbey [Dowrick], 15, starred in the second match.

"They're completely different players," Cooper said.

"McKenzie's composed with really good skills and a penetrating kick, while Abbey's more your crash-and-bash, ultra-competitive player, she wins a lot of contested ball and gets it moving forward."

Have also heard good things about Sabreena Duffy and Courtney Hodder.

Anyone got any insights on any of these girls?

Tundrawolf

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2007
The Den
AFL Club
Fremantle
Classic timing... http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-07/aflw-u18-strong-results-for-wa-and-nswact

Kate Bartlett kicked the winning goal in the first three-point win, and the team coasted to a comfortable 20-point win in the second.

Versatile tall McKenzie Dowrick, 18, was Western Australia's best over the two matches, with Bartlett and Mikayla Hyde the team's leading goalkickers.

Dowrick's younger sister Abbey [Dowrick], 15, starred in the second match.

"They're completely different players," Cooper said.

"McKenzie's composed with really good skills and a penetrating kick, while Abbey's more your crash-and-bash, ultra-competitive player, she wins a lot of contested ball and gets it moving forward."

Have also heard good things about Sabreena Duffy and Courtney Hodder.

Anyone got any insights on any of these girls?
Courtney desperately wants to play for West Coast. She is tiny but a natural footballer. She wouldn't be disappointed if Freo recruited her but would probably try to shift to the Eagles eventually.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Geez I just saw Peel Thunderbirds just got over the line last weekend against South Fremantle...

Peel 22.15.147 def South Freo 1.0.6

Kira Phillips (formerly on Freo's list) with 9 goals! She kicked 10 goals against them 3 weeks earlier, so they managed to lock her down a bit :eek:

Frank J Moose

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2012
Brownes Stadium
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Buffalo
Geez I just saw Peel Thunderbirds just got over the line last weekend against South Fremantle...

Peel 22.15.147 def South Freo 1.0.6

Kira Phillips (formerly on Freo's list) with 9 goals! She kicked 10 goals against them 3 weeks earlier, so they managed to lock her down a bit :eek:
She isn't very good. Peel thrashed Perth the week before and was pretty much beaten comprehensively by the Perth key defenders. Kicked one from a soft free and two other from ground balls but given the opportunities was ineffective.

Aug 23, 2017
Grounded
AFL Club
Fremantle
She isn't very good. Peel thrashed Perth the week before and was pretty much beaten comprehensively by the Perth key defenders. Kicked one from a soft free and two other from ground balls but given the opportunities was ineffective.

So she had a bad day against Perth (and kicked 3), but has ability to kick big bags of goals.

Knows where the big sticks are!

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Noticed the videos of the u18s women's games are all online - http://www.afl.com.au/womens (under Latest Videos)

Haven't watched them yet but the snippets I've seen I hope we draft Dowrick, Duffy and Bartlett this season. Don't mind Sergeant and Dorizzi (ruck) either.

Dowrick looks a gun - please tell me she's not a mad WC fan?

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Noticed the videos of the u18s women's games are all online - http://www.afl.com.au/womens (under Latest Videos)

Haven't watched them yet but the snippets I've seen I hope we draft Dowrick, Duffy and Bartlett this season. Don't mind Sergeant and Dorizzi (ruck) either.

Will not matter. Eagles not into the draft until 2019, she is ready to go now.
After 2019, it will depend on the rules for the expansion.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League

Dowrick and Duffy are musts. Not sure Bartlett is up to it physically, but she sure has the footy smarts required.
Not sold on Dorizzi.
There is a new player this year Roux or something, looks potentially explosive.

Last edited:

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Dowrick and Duffy are musts. Not sure Bartlett is up to it physically, but she sure has the footy smarts required.
Not sold on Dowrick.
There is a new player this year Roux or something, looks potentially explosive.
Why not sold on Dowrick? Booming left foot kick, reads the play from behind the ball as well as anyone, good height (172cm), can explode through stoppages, very clean with the ball and very good skills. Arguably BOG in WA's first two games and possibly the only reason she wasn't against Eastern is Cooper seemed to be experimenting moving players around the place.

Her younger sister looks the goods as well - even with her currently shaved head. What is she 15/16yo? She laid a hit that was easily the hardest I've seen at u18s so far. Give her a few years and she'll be a great inside mid.

The Hyde twins are skilful but geez they are tiny.

Haven't seen Roux do anything to notice her yet - I'll watch some more when I find time though.

Do you know why Hodder and Metcalf weren't playing?

Anyway I'm sure Trent Cooper knows exactly who he wants and he'd know better than pretty much anyone else so I trust him to make some good choices.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hodder has a broken leg. Metcalf will be too old.
Thanks! Shame about Hodder even though she clearly wants to play for WC.

Metcalf is only 18 (so same age as a bunch of them) but I suppose given she is playing WAWFL League she wouldn't be allowed to play? Do you think we might draft her?

Who do you rate of the WA youngsters?

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League

Metcalf is only 18 (so same age as a bunch of them) but I suppose given she is playing WAWFL League she wouldn't be allowed to play? Do you think we might draft her?

There is a few of them playing WAWFL. Like some of the Qlders are playing in the Winter series with the AFLW players. She may just be unavailable?

Frank J Moose

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2012
Brownes Stadium
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Buffalo

They all play league. Metcalf is 19, although so are some of the others so i expect like the boys you are allowed a few over agers who weren't drafted. I expect Metcalf was not considered to be good enough. I can't see her being drafted.

I only see the players when they are playing one of the bottom sides so you get a bit of a skewed view of them. Talking to players you get i teresting insights. The workrate of Williams and Atkins as forwards was way above that of Metcalf.

Best player I've seen this year has been O'Sullivan.

Back