jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
This is the first intake (there will be 3) of the Womens open state academy summer program. This is the group that performed well in the WAWFL or 2018 State academy program. gives an indication of who they have an eye on. However, I cannot imagine they take any more than 4 or 5 from this list, so a lot miss out.

Its going to be a tricky selection. I dont know all of them, but of those I do, I think at least 18 or 20 make it into the discussion (and there is 2 more intakes).

Shannon Whale
Caitlin Hill
Ella Smith
Kloe Bassett
Courtney Hodder
Jacinta Valentini
Scarti Ningella
Emma O'Driscoll
Rikki Ryan
Sarah Garstone
Kate Bartlett
Matilda Sergeant
Sonia Dorizzi
Emily McGuire
Jasmin Stewart
Beatrice Devlyn
Abby Barnden
Kristen Jayasuria
Katie Grieve
Georgia Perry
Katrina Tinson
Tarnica Golisano
Lara Rodin Zimdahl
Kahra Sprlyan
Jayme Harken
Emily Bonser
Ashton Hill
Kira Phillips
Parris Laurie
Ann McMahon
Philipa Seth
Laura Pugh
Tiah Haynes
Jade de Melo
Brooke Hongell
Chloe Colgate
Courtney Stubbs
Danika Pisconeri
Allana Dickie
Brooke Whyte
Ebony Dowson
Sharon Wong
Taryn Priestly
Larissa Versaci
Kate Orme

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
2nd, or 3rd, not sure.

Do not know many of these, but those I do are about 16, so I am guessing its the youth girls intake. I dont think they are of draftable age, but there are some really good prospects for down the track.

Abbey Dowrick could be better than her sister. Roxanne Roux switched to footy recently, and looks the goods. Bowen is a prospect, Rosie Deegan is a big prospect. Made U18s All Australian last year as a 16 year old.

Emily Bennett
Jaide Britton
Lily Bird
Isabella Lewis
Aimee Williams
Abbey Dowrick
Sarah Verrier
Gabriella Radojkovich
Teah Taylor
Tara Garlett
Nel Baxter
Mikayla Morrison
Jacklyn Atkinson
Scout Mccormack
Kaitlyn Hayes
Brianna Hyde
Mikayla Hyde
Emma Innes
Mavis Lyndon
Dixie Corcoran
Nyra Anderson
Roxanne Roux
Tanisha Anderson
Savannah Ahearn
Casara Hill
Abbey Amaranti
Lauren Quaiffe
Rosie Deegan
Madi Yarran
Mikayla Bowen
Taylor Pescud
Kate Inglis-Hodge
Jess Cox
Shantae Freeman
Kia Buckley
Rosin Walsh

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Really pleased for Stewart. She has not fallen into the AFLW by chance, or been sought out because of outstanding athletic traits, she has worked hard for this for a number of years, she gets selected purely because she is a good footballer. Is also a keen Dockers supporter.

Likewise Duffy, a lifelong footy player who has got selected through footy smarts, skill and dedication, and is also a lifelong Dockers supporter.

Stubbs I saw this year, and she looks very good. I had thought she was playing continuously, bet had been away from the sport for a bit. What stands out for her is maturity and decision making, doesn't panic, just does what she needs to.

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/video/2018-10-23/aflw-pick-39-courtney-stubbs

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2018-10-23/aflw-draft-country-girl-calls-freo-home

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
This new fixture is rubbish, it means we don't play GWS or Carlton. We play both new teams. Should still be 9 rounds, majority of the competition is ready. Also we have no games at Optus but 4 games at Freo is a good return.

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
aflwfixtureaweb.jpg

The fixture for next year is out. Freo don’t play GWS or Carlton. Play Melbourne, Adelaide and Geelong away, and Brisbane, Collingwood, Western Bulldogs and North Melbourne at home.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
578111_9d0036fb05a4783a3ecb034967c41b79.png

It seems to have been very hard to predict each season so far.
Yes, probably not a lot of point trying to hard to balance things on last year's results.

Have you noticed, you could remove the conference column from the fixture and make finals 1 v 4 and 2 v 3, and you get almost exactly what the conference system gets us, minus the possibility that the 3rd best team is in the same conference as the 2 best teams and doesn't make finals.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Granny Val

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2013
Wheatbelt/Rockingham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Scorchers
I had the pleasure of meeting Ebony Dowson's family in the Docker House in Boulder on the weekend. Her family raises many thousands of dollars towards the Starlight Foundation each year, and I am really looking forward to watching her play. One of her sisters has had serious health issues and the whole family deserves a break. Hope you have a break-out season, Ebony.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frank J Moose

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2012
Brownes Stadium
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Buffalo
A fairly damning but possibly somewhat accurate assessment of WA womens footy, and Freos prospects.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/11/...uRSdGFsm9wEpC0F1KltWUdLlWZftRvMrWRkxuQpUYq4fk
And despite years to do something the administration of women's footy in WA is getting worse.
Down to six teams next season. Likely no team in the whole of the South East. Development of juniors is run by the clubs and substandard, which is why no young talent.

There has been nothing done apart from some pretty pathetic "academies" that ended up being teams pushing their own interest. No attemp to even the competition or help develop those areas.

Its just everyone acting in their own self interest. I've been banging on about this for years and nothing has changed. There is no overall development plan for womens footy.

Next year will be worse unless they can convince some Victorian girls to come across.

Monument Hills

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hufflepuff, Wildcats, WCE womens
Very over rated. very different coaching 22 of the best 44 in the exhibition games 2013-2016 and being the pinup coach than having to coach a list where there are only 5-6 "stars" if that and the rest are average. Club has moved her on by offering her x dollars when she thought she was worth more. Don't be surprised if she isn't angling for the EGirls job in 2020 or slides back into the Demons fold.
:think: don't know if she showed sufficient success to be given the head job but wouldn't be surprised to see her pop up in a lesser role, particularly given her extreme love for the yellow and blues

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't know how much stock you'd want to put in that article. When I read it, it struck me as a bit of feelpinion from afar, using a stat sheet and little direct observation.

Skills were pretty much an issue across the AFLW, certainly in the first year and in the second too.

Sure the lack of KPF's sucks, but what really struck me in watching them was a lack of fierceness at the contested/loose ball. This seemed to be a very coachable thing, especially they were hard at it when there was less doubt in what to do (i.e. tackling). They never seemed to address it either.

Last edited:

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
I think the first woman who can one touch grab a loose ball and put in a quick four steps will win the next four league best and fairests while her team will win nearly every game as the majority of stoppages will result in the ball moving 40m towards goal.
Then watch out for Parker from GWS and Prespakis from Carlton.
The new breed coming through. Prespakis is footy smarts, clean hands, good in traffic and good disposal.
Parker is similar but with more athleticism and explosiveness but maybe not quite the same smarts and composure.

They both have the capacity to win the best and fairest as first year players.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think the first woman who can one touch grab a loose ball and put in a quick four steps will win the next four league best and fairests while her team will win nearly every game as the majority of stoppages will result in the ball moving 40m towards goal.

That'd be great for a few of the Freo mids to get something like that in their games.

All too often you'd see them in a great position to get clear possession of the loose ball, but instead of decisively grabbing it at a decent pace they'd slow to a near stop in a hesitant manner, allowing the space they had to be closed down and or possession to be stolen.

If it's anything like the previous years, getting the weight of decisive ball play at a maximum would kill it in that competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back