Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

Aine (pronounces Anya) is a fantastic get. I love her already and predict good things.
Yeah the footage of her rucking looked pretty good, and seems to have no problems kicking the oval ball. Seems pretty fast and decent agility for someone so gangly - that little toe poke, pick up and snap was epic (not sure she'll have that much time in AFLW but still good signs). WC taking our ruck stocks could be a blessing. They just looked undersized last season - we were lucky Bowers was such a tackling machine.

I think Houghton, Roux and Flood in the forward line could be incredible. Just three very imposing figures that are all fast and agile. I was worried Flood might struggle kicking goals with the different shaped ball but 6 goals in the final (15 total) and best player of tournament tells me she's going to be ok. She knows how to lead from Gaelic and her hands are really good. The knock on is we get to add the best AFLW CHB back into our back line - I thought we looked a bit vulnerable when she wasn't there last season.

Looking like good Irish recruits for us...

I was there and tbh... They were always going to win. Was a surprise that GB was beaten by the Germans but no surprise in the final, the ball barely went past half way.

I'm pretty sure one of our Irish recruits, Aine Tighe (185cm) will be a ruck. And I'd be shocked if we didn't draft Mim Strom (184cm Swan Districts ruck - Noah and Zach's sister). Both Houghton and Antonio can pinch hit as well with the added bonus of incredible athleticism.

I'm assuming we'll use our first draft pick on talented Roxanne Roux (key forward from EF) who seems the ideal player to play alongside Houghton and perhaps Kate Flood (the other Irish recruit who I assume will be a forward). That should provide plenty of flexibility for Antonio - who can play back, ruck or forward. Antonio as a ruck would be like an extra midfielder - similar to Laurie but more talented. With Williams recovering we might need to use her in defence though. Mia-Rae Clifford (from Collingwood AFLW) adds to our defender options and we might pick up Kimberley Bowey as well to play alongside Bresland and is another pinch hitting ruck option - although WC would definitely have their eye on her as well (and may grab her with their first pick).

Despite losing a bunch of players to WC I think we're in a great position having filled many of the holes already and could very well have an even better list entering 2020. Excited about Lindhal Rohde on the wing (feels like getting back Lisa Webb from 2018) and we still have plenty of speed options with Sharp, Miller, Cain etc. We lost Hooker but we should have a healthy Miller and Donnellan next season (who both had injuries/niggles this year so didn't hit their straps). Those two playing alongside Bowers in the centre is a pretty formidable threesome. So many of our next tier also stepped up in the WAFLW this year - O'Sullivan, Gooch, Stannett, Seth, Pugh and Mascall all spent lots of time in the midfield and often smashed it - that confidence should carry across to whichever position we play them in. Gooch looked amazing in the WAFLW GF - such a great player and leader. I'm also expecting either or both Sargeant and Stewart to break out (like Duffy did) next year and put their hands up to be next in line in the middle and on the wing. And we have Jayne-Grieve in the midfield mix as well.

Other than Hooker, the only other quality players we lost are Gibson and Atkins really. But we've added Flood, will almost certainly add Roux and probably Tarnee Tester (Freo academy small forward who kicked the most goals in the WAFLW this year - including bags of 6, 4 and 4). They will all add some speed class and athleticism alongside Houghton, Sharp, Duffy and O'Sullivan. On paper that still looks like an incredible forward line and that's without Antonio in it.

Imahra Cameron is another player I hope we pick up in the draft. Watched her in a game earlier in the year and she was phenomenally skilled. Just carved up the opposition. Suspect she has consistency and maybe fitness issues but also think she seems the kind of player that might flourish in the more elite AFLW competition if she is committed. Small defender Jessica Low (joint WAFLW winner of Rookie of the Year with Rohde) will certainly be drafted as well. There are quite a few other names (mostly talented u18s) but a lot of them are tiny and will take a fair bit of time before ready for AFLW.

Abbey Holmes (formerly of Adelaide and Survivor contestant) has nominated for the Western Australian draft. West Coast will almost certainly pick her up though as her partner is WC rookie Keegan Brooksby.

Ideal Draft (will be held 22 October)

#12 - Roxanne Roux (East Freo)
(#19 WC pick Kimberley Bowey - East Freo)
#21 - Mim Strom (Swan Districts)
#35 - Imahra Cameron (Swan Districts)
(#39 WC pick Abbey Holmes - Survivor lol!)
#51 - Tarnee Tester (Subiaco)
(#56 WC pick ?)
#66 - Jessica Low (Claremont)
(#70 WC pick ?)
#81 - ?
#86 - ?

2020 Best Team

B Seth ~ Bresland
HB Stannett ~ Antonio ~ Gooch
C Rohde ~ Donnellan ~ Cain
R Strom* ~ Miller ~ Bowers
HF Sharp ~ Houghton ~ O'Sullivan
F Duffy ~ Roux*

INT/EMG Sargeant / Tighe / Flood / Clifford / Grieve / Pugh / Mascall / Stewart / Cameron* / Tester * / Low* / ?...
INJ Williams

AFLW Draft is on Tuesday. Hopefully there will be some kind of publicity happening. Would be nice if there is footage of the draftees released by the club’s.

AFLW Draft is on Tuesday. Hopefully there will be some kind of publicity happening. Would be nice if there is footage of the draftees released by the club’s.
The 2019 NAB AFL Women's Draft will be live streamed on womens.afl, the AFLW App and the AFLW Facebook account from 10.40am AEDT on October 22.

Another new article about Roux (from today) for those interested.

Holy s**t, Aine Tighes ruck work in that video is elite, imagine Turbo & Miller with that silver service being handed to them!! can't wait to see what they can do!
Yeah the more I learn about her the more I like. I found the full games from that AFL Europe tournament and watched her (and Flood) in the game against Great Britain. Her tap work was consistently excellent - almost every tap was to advantage - she seems to have really good awareness about where the other players are (which I find quite rare with rucks). She doesn't like a big run up though and I noticed all the Irish rucks line up on an angle to the contest (it freaks out the umpires) - will be interesting how much some coaching from someone like Sandi might take her to a new level.

I don't think I saw her make a mistake around the ground either - and she did some great work in front of goals so could easily rest forward and impact. Will be a big step up to AFLW but if a male ruck in u18s was dominating the way she was he'd go pick #1 imo. So much to work with - possibly struck gold once we pump some development in to her.

She is playing in the AFL Ireland Grand Final today (evening our time). She topped the goal scoring table for AFL Ireland this season. Her and her family seem pretty excited about it all...

I thought I better share some thoughts about Kate Flood as well from watching the games of the AFL Europe tournament.

Flood looked like it was her first time playing Aussie Rules and yet was awarded the best player of the tournament. That pretty much sums up her potential. In the first 5 minutes of her first game she had gotten into a position to take 5 shots on goal! None of them ended in goals but she was the clear dominant presence inside 50. It was obvious to everyone she was the most talented person on the field (challenged only by Tighe). It was somewhat hilarious watching her looking lost (mainly when on the mark or defending kick ins) because she clearly doesn't know all the rules. The umpires helped her out a bit. She played at full forward in every game from what I saw. Nobody could stop her on the lead and nobody could stop her in the air. If the ball came near her she gobbled it up. Although she stayed mainly around the goal square the times she did come further down the ground she looked fast, agile and clever.

Just to give some context, the ball lived in Ireland's forward half. In five games Ireland didn't even have a single behind scored against them. They completely dominated and in most games the ball didn't even get near the opposition's forward arc. The Irish girls were miles ahead of Great Britain and Germany, and Tighe and Flood were the two standouts for Ireland despite having little to no experience playing Aussie Rules. Their ability to succeed at AFLW is going to be based purely on how quickly they pick up the game. Tighe looks almost AFLW ready already imo. Flood's ceiling looks incredible - she is an elite sporting talent. Our coaches must be rubbing their hands together waiting for them to arrive in Perth. Early days but really clever recruiting imo - I wish our men's team would take notice.

So looking forward to watching these girls in action! And excited for the draft tomorrow! Such awesome coverage for it, I bet all footy fans will be attentively watching their screens to see all the new talent coming through, and see which ones their club is lucky enough to land. Bring it!

So looking forward to watching these girls in action! And excited for the draft tomorrow! Such awesome coverage for it, I bet all footy fans will be attentively watching their screens to see all the new talent coming through, and see which ones their club is lucky enough to land. Bring it!
Here's some potential draftees profiles to read if you want (scroll to WA obviously) - thanks to Pie4Life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there any chance that Fremantle doesn’t draft Roxy Roux?
Feeling a bit more confident after seeing her face at the top of this article on Freo's website :)

edit - also 'Roux' = 4 letters = going to be a superstar

Remove this Banner Ad

Back